Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Next? A Gold Medal For Jerking Off?

Sports: athletic competition. Watch this video and tell me it's not athletic or competitive. It also embodies the very spirit of the Olympics, with every person there, and especially the competitors themselves truly enjoying and cheering every impressive performance.

I actually might watch the Olympics if it was this fun.

The following 5 users Like evenheathen's post:
  • Escape Artist, GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys, grympy, skyking

A gold medal for wanking?  What a sterling idea! There would most certainly be no lack of enthusiastic contestants. I think the nuances of scoring would  be fascinating

As for me; I tried every sport available at my school; Aussie rules football, cricket, tennis,  basketball, swimming,  track and field. Sucked at all of them.

Only finally found a 'sport' I liked  after leaving school; Shodokan Karate, which I took up at 20. Not truly a sport, more a method of self defence and life philosophy .  Did a real martial  arts sport in the army'; Judo. Sadly, if I tried either today I would hurt myself ,a lot. ---New meaning to the term 'groin injury', that kind of thing

Have a problem with any sports in which brain a damage is a common result

Worst thing to ever happen to boxing?   The introduction of boxing gloves. The padded gloves protect the hand and allow repeated  blows to the head of another. With bare knuckle  fighting, there was  far less brain injury; hit a guy in the head  could  break your hand.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Smercury44

It's more physical than shooting that's for sure
The following 2 users Like Assassin's post:
  • Smercury44, grympy

I fear the competition will be way too stiff Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • grympy, Full Circle, julep, TheGentlemanBastard, Chas

(02-23-2019, 04:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote: Sports: athletic competition. Watch this video and tell me it's not athletic or competitive. It also embodies the very spirit of the Olympics, with every person there, and especially the competitors themselves truly enjoying and cheering every impressive performance.

I actually might watch the Olympics if it was this fun.

Gymnastics can be: Nadia Comaneci's SEVEN perfect 10, Montreal Olympics, !976.

It's blocked, Watch on Youtube.

I feel a rant coming on (thanks Minimalist  Aggravated Big Grin ) 

I loathe (is that too strong a word?) any competition that requires judges. If the winner isn’t determined by using a stopwatch, scale, tape measure or any other objective measuring device, or is decided by something obvious like a knockout, a hit target or a group of guys being pulled over a line while doing a tug-of-war (it actually used to be in the Olympics), or by scoring points that can be MEASURED, think basketball, ping-pong, fencing; then it simply becomes a popularity contest. 

I’m not saying that gymnasts, platform divers, figure skaters etc. are not athletes, they most certainly are! But stick a judge in the middle of it and I’d just as soon not see it in the Olympics. FFS what is the real difference between someone scoring a 9.5 or a 9.6? Seriously? How the fuck does a human being get so precise? Now they want to throw in break dancing? Well why not? No different than Rhythmic or Artistic gymnastics, Trampoline (no, not kidding), Artistic swimming, Figure skating, Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding. What’s next, Artistic running? WTF is that?
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 1 user Likes Full Circle's post:
  • Minimalist

(08-19-2019, 11:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote: I feel a rant coming on (thanks Minimalist  Aggravated Big Grin ) 

I loathe (is that too strong a word?) any competition that requires judges. If the winner isn’t determined by using a stopwatch, scale, tape measure or any other objective measuring device, or is decided by something obvious like a knockout, a hit target or a group of guys being pulled over a line while doing a tug-of-war (it actually used to be in the Olympics), or by scoring points that can be MEASURED, think basketball, ping-pong, fencing; then it simply becomes a popularity contest. 

I’m not saying that gymnasts, platform divers, figure skaters etc. are not athletes, they most certainly are! But stick a judge in the middle of it and I’d just as soon not see it in the Olympics. FFS what is the real difference between someone scoring a 9.5 or a 9.6? Seriously? How the fuck does a human being get so precise? Now they want to throw in break dancing? Well why not? No different than Rhythmic or Artistic gymnastics, Trampoline (no, not kidding), Artistic swimming, Figure skating, Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding. What’s next, Artistic running? WTF is that?

An interesting point. 

I always hated team sports. Probably because I sucked; I had one good season in Aussie rules football and one in cricket, at age 17.. 

Tried every single sport on offer;  tennis, track and field and swimming . Sucked at them too.

Have never  had the slightest interest in watching any  any kind of sport, live or on  on TV. Did a bit of ten pin bowling and was quite good quite good , playing tournament for a bit . Elitist of me I know, but I've always  considered ten pin bowling a sport for dropkicks of both sexes . 

Discovered Shodokan Karate at age 20. Loved it.  Got a few colour belts, then  got drafted. Did a bit of Judo in the army. Enjoyed it, found it  self challenging.   Was hard to train, so only got a couple of colour belts.

Oh, played a couple of rounds of golf in the army (we had  our own link and club in Malaysia ) Had never  played before. Borrowed some clubs and  a mate taught me. First round ever, a birdie on the first hole. Completed the first round 3 under par. Thought  "Sheeeet, this is easy" Round 2, -------146, around 60 over par. Decided golf was not for me.   Blush

"Sports are only a game"  Bull-fucking-shit! Worked out very  young that there is no such thing as a game in that sense  of the word .

The Brits are very keen on using cricket analogies for every day life. The poem below is very famous:

Play up! Play up! And play the game!
By Sir Henry Newbolt

There's a breathless hush in the close to-night
Ten to make and the match to win
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play, and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat.
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! Play up! And play the game!"

The sand of the desert is sodden red-
Red with the wreck of the square that broke
The gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed its banks,
And England's far and Honor a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks-

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the school is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with joyful mind
And bear through life Eke a torch in flame,
falling fling to the host behind-

Or if you will  "An Ode to Jingoism" Thumbs Up

It's always the Russian judge!

[Image: 16w0t1.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, Cavebear

(08-20-2019, 03:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote: It's always the Russian judge!

[Image: 16w0t1.jpg]

Yeah, that 1.0 is a killer...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!