Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Time
Thumbs Up 
What is Time
(05-01-2019, 02:20 AM)Mark Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 06:02 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Good call.  Not really about this thread but because you're a guitar guy, what do you think of this version of Knophler's big hit?

I love his tone there, clear and crystalline and a little lighter than the original, but I miss the vocals and wish the drummer was a little more laid-back. It's sure an interesting take on an old chestnut.

Now I gotta go help change another lightbulb ... Tongue
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark

What is Time
(04-30-2019, 03:57 PM)SteveII Wrote: "Spacetime refers to whatever external reality underlies our collective experiences of the space between things and the time between events"
Look at that sentence. Spacetime is a referent for the reality of our experiences of two measurements. 

Dude can't read, (or write for that matter).  Facepalm

"Referent" : the thing that a word or phrase denotes or stands for.

The first sentence says "refers to whatever external reality UNDERLIES our collective experiences of the space between things and the time between events". This sentence does NOT say that space-time IS our collective experiences of two measurements. It says space-time is the reality which UNDERLIES our experience. (It also does not say that is ALL it is). Space-time exists as the fabric of the universe, as any moron who looks up at the stars can plainly see, regardless of whether anyone is "experiencing" it or not, (as obviously space-time existed for billions of years before anyone "experienced" anything.)  The universe goes on, as does space-time, whether anyone experiences it or not, (unless he's going to claim the nonsense of Solipsism). 

Stevie-Weavie then MISCHARACTERIZES (changes) this *external reality" WHICH UNDERLIES our collective experience, in sentence two to being the (referent) for the reality of our experience, (itself).  That's NOT what sentence one says. 

Why is he making up his own definition ? Because he's fully aware of the threat an analysis of space-time and temporal concepts pose to his cult and ALL of it's theological statements and claims, (all of which have a deity *acting* and *doing* things, meaningless statements) even while claiming this deity exists in a timeless environment. They are INCOMPATIBLE. Religionists can use NO temporal word or concept even while maintaining the nonsense that a deity is a-temporal.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/05/...tein-right
"Fifty years after it was conceived, a $760 million NASA spacecraft has confirmed Einstein's theory of gravity, or general relativity, physicists announced today. Gravity Probe B achieved measurements that agreed with theoretical predictions for two effects of general relativity, which states that gravity arises when mass bends space and time. "Einstein survives!" said Francis Everitt, a physicist at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, who reported the results at a press conference at NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C."
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Deesse23

What is Time
(05-01-2019, 12:20 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:24 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 03:33 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: You know, if I thought Steve actually gave a shit about the science he's abusing and misrepresenting, I'd recommend PBS Space Time over at youtube to him. But, since he's to stubborn to watch a recommended video, to committed to his bullshit, and too arrogant and proud in his ignorance to seek any better scientific understanding than what is spoon-fed to him by his local shaman, I won't bother.

Thank you for your post promoting civil discussion of ideas.

So, are you willing to view the show? With an open mind? It'll teach you plenty about what you're getting wrong, and how and why you're getting it wrong. Or, are you comfortable wallowing in your ignorance of what actual scientists have to say?

I'm not sure you even understand my point--instead just making assumptions that I don't understand and therefore need a video so I can catch up.

I have seen that video way before this week, I watched it again this week. I posted comments in Post #36 above.

What is Time
(05-01-2019, 02:14 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:24 PM)SteveII Wrote: Thank you for your post promoting civil discussion of ideas.

So, are you willing to view the show? With an open mind? It'll teach you plenty about what you're getting wrong, and how and why you're getting it wrong. Or, are you comfortable wallowing in your ignorance of what actual scientists have to say?

I'm not sure you even understand my point--instead just making assumptions that I don't understand and therefore need a video so I can catch up.

I have seen that video way before this week, I watched it again this week. I posted comments in Post #36 above.

The important question is, "What do you think of Knopfler's playing above?"
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert

What is Time
(05-01-2019, 02:14 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:24 PM)SteveII Wrote: Thank you for your post promoting civil discussion of ideas.

Really? That video? Which one? There are 196 episodes of the show and they build on each other. So, which one did you cherry pick and decide is affected your position the least?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

What is Time
(04-28-2019, 09:53 PM)SteveII Wrote: 2. Spacetime is a mathematical model (not an actual thing). It consists of the three dimensions of space and the one of time.

Fuck! Now I have to go tell the folks at LIGO and the EHT Consortium to stop fucking around because it's all just a model.

Your Nobble Prize for Fyzzix is in the mail.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Deesse23

What is Time
(05-09-2019, 01:47 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 09:53 PM)SteveII Wrote: 2. Spacetime is a mathematical model (not an actual thing). It consists of the three dimensions of space and the one of time.

Fuck! Now I have to go tell the folks at LIGO and the EHT Consortium to stop fucking around because it's all just a model.

Your Nobble Prize for Fyzzix is in the mail.
Yeah, and when you throw a big mass into space somehwere and observe how space and time are warped at the same time, then its all not real but a "model". Facepalm
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam