Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mythicist Christ, what is the objection? II

well, what is the objection?

spam, that's my objection
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Free

I have no objection.  He's as mythical as every other god humanity has invented across the millennia.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, EvieTheAvocado

[Image: AFO%20-%20Opus%20I%20Object%20-%20av%200...nknown.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus

(04-23-2019, 02:26 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: well, what is the objection?

The objection is that it's a denial of reality and/or mainstream academia. It's denialism that masquerades as scepticism. The key difference being that a sceptic is willing to change their position when new information or evidence is shown to them or discovered, whereas denialists will continue to believe in their own reality no matter what evidence is presented.

Recently, and I would agree with this, science denial in general is thought to be largely isolated and cherry-picked. And same with other areas of academia like history, archaeology, anthropology, etc. Essentially people will chose an area of the field that they disagree with, without throwing out the field in its entirety. This is what we see with Mythicism. People are convinced that it's an intelligible position to be sceptical of a historical Jesus; even though there's just no way that position is historically credible amongst Western scholars of any relevant field of study (not just New Testament, but Classics, near-east archaeology, etc).

So let's give another example of denialism. The Roman Catholic Church in the West has largely come to terms with the reality of institutional child sex abuse. Yet in Africa and other areas the church is still in deep denial, they still believe strongly that it's a specifically "Western problem" that doesn't affect them. That denial I might add is so strongly held in certain places that many abusers have gotten away with their abuse, even when prosecuted in court. This was the case with Joe Homan of Homan's Boys Town; he was exposed by a newspaper, he had already been excommunicated from the RCC, and when he sued the newspaper for defamation a court in London still managed to find in his favour despite hearing direct evidence from his abuse victims... and after all that the charity to this day remains named after the monster.
The following 3 users Like Aractus's post:
  • Phaedrus, vulcanlogician, Zmeej

Some asshole with a theology degree and a job in a seminary tells you its real and you go all Madeline Kahn on us....

So I guess mohammed was real too, huh?  And "moses?"

Uh... we have a second thread on exactly the same subject.   Why?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

The objection essentially is, how high or low do we set the bar for evidence that Yeshua Ben Yoseph actually existed?  One can set the bar high enough to deny that he existed, but that high bar would exclude almost all known ancient history.  It is a pyrrhic victory.  I suspect Yeshua Ben Joseph existed, came from Galilee, was executed, and his followers thought he would soon return as the divine messiah.  The Gospels contain little true facts and is mostly mythology.  The contradictory tall tales about his nativity point to some Jews denying Jesus could be messiah since he was not known to be of the Davidic line and not born in Bethlehem as prophecy demanded.  Hence the need to make up the infant narratives.  Little clues like that seem to indicate he existed, but that the Jews of his day did not see Jesus as being messiah material.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 5 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, jerry mcmasters, Aegon, epronovost, Gwaithmir

Next time that you see a cross, remember what we did to the last motherfucker that said he was god.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

I don't object to a guy named Jesus existing.  I object to Jesus; the fella who was cast in the Christ role through embellished storytelling.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Aegon, EvieTheAvocado, Gwaithmir

A hypothesis based on a whole lot of special pleading. It does not address the evidence we have in the same way historians address other historical characters and/or series of events. It's main defense amounts to really really weak argument from silence. Additionally it fails to provide a theory to account for the evidence we do have. Basically...a failure--even setting aside the question of him being who he claimed to be.
The following 3 users Like SteveII's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Aegon, Gwaithmir

dammit I forgot to put the evidence for myth theory in the OP
like paul discussing a celestial being
josephus being interpolation
the gospels as myth
and tacitus hearsay relaying an urban legend

I can't brie-leave you made a second thread about this.

I camembert another one.

Mark my words, no gouda will come from this.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

(04-24-2019, 10:41 AM)Unsapien Wrote: I can't brie-leave you made a second thread about this.

I camembert another one.

Mark my words, no gouda will come from this.

Barf    Cheeses Christ!    Tongue
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Unsapien

This thread has been hijacked and is now all about trains.

[Image: locomotive-60539_1280.jpg]
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

@Free

I don't see any train picture in the post above. I feel cheated. I want a refund.

More seriously, reductionism is the most favored theory surrounding the existence of Jesus Christ mostly based on the studies of other historical and religious texts of similar nature.
The following 4 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Free, jerry mcmasters, Aegon, Jenny

More cute cat videos!
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dānu, epronovost, Phaedrus

Jesus was spelled with an "I" which makes it "Isus" which I believe refers to an Egyptian god.

Come to think of it, the Talmud mentions a guy called Izates who had a Persian heritage, was sent away to school during his youth, converted to a newly invented sect of Judaism, was involved in famine relief, became a Rabbi. His brother, of the same name, is quoted in the Talmud in an account where in he was being criticized for not amassing as much wealth as his forefathers had. His response was this: "My fathers stored up below and I am storing up above... My fathers stored in a place which can be tampered with, but I have stored in a place which cannot be tampered with… My fathers gathered treasures of money and I have gathered treasures of souls."(b. Baba Batra 11a).

See "19: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth. and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal".
Matthew 6:19–20

Quote:Jesus was spelled with an "I" which makes it "Isus" which I believe refers to an Egyptian god.

Actually when translated into Greek Y'shua became Iesou as at the time neither Greek nor Latin had a "J."

In fact, Greek still lacks a "j."  Makes it hard to have a circle ierk.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

I'm a little embarrassed to see the same actors debating this after a hiatus of something like 2 years. And no new arguments either.

I'm a mythicist, but it's no practical problem for me if I'm wrong. Jesus the Miracle-Working God-Man is an invented mythos, even if based on an actual historical person. It's an interesting technical debate, at least until about the 10th time you debate it.

I'll give it a rest if you will, Aractus. Although IIRC you don't often debate anything else. It's like you hang here to defend the scholarly consensus or something. You never consider the source (who pays their salaries and funds their research) but if you haven't re-thought that by now you're not going to.

(04-26-2019, 07:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Jesus was spelled with an "I" which makes it "Isus" which I believe refers to an Egyptian god.

Actually when translated into Greek Y'shua became Iesou as at the time neither Greek nor Latin had a "J."

In fact, Greek still lacks a "j."  Makes it hard to have a circle ierk.

In the region he was born his name is spelled, in English, with an "I" and people here with red hair are called "Izzy" in reference to him.  I think in Islam he's referred to as Issa and they don't have a J, a Y or an I or for that matter any letters since they use Arabic script. You have to look at the pronunciation, not the spelling. 

Did you know that the English alphabet has lost letters including the letter Yoch:
  • Eth (ð) The y in ye actually comes from the letter eth, which slowly merged with y over time. ...

• Thorn (þ) Thorn is in many ways the counterpart to eth. ...

• Wynn (ƿ) Wynn was incorporated into our alphabet to represent today's w sound. ...

• Yogh (ȝ) ...

• Ash (æ) ...

• Ethel (œ)

by born do you mean generated?
yawn, the cat is outta the bag

I would say it means "concocted."

I always found this amusing.  From Pg 235 of Richard Carrier's "On The Historicity of Jesus."  Carrier footnotes the story to the original writer...something that gospel bullshitters never did (in case Free shows up whining!)

Quote:In 1945 Betty Crocker was rated in a national survey as the second most
admired woman in America, and to this day a street is named after her
in Golden Valley, Minnesota, where she still lives. Her father was William
Crocker, a successful corporate executive in the food industry, and she
started her career answering letters on cooking questions for her father's
company, then acquired her own national radio show where she delivered
cooking advice for twenty-four years. Later she had her own television
show, while making appearances on other TV shows and in TV commercials
to promote her products. I've seen actual video tapes of her cooking
and speaking, and her picture still adorns various General Mills baking
products. She has also pub I ished several cookbooks, and now has her own
Website. All that is 100 percent true. And yet she doesn't exist. She was
never born, never lived, never spoke, never appeared on TV, and never
wrote a word. Others simply wrote or appeared in her name. Welcome to
the world of the mythical corporate mascot

BTW, "Betty Crocker" came in second to Eleanor Roosevelt.  Betty Crocker was a 1921 marketing creation by General Mills.

And she was never any more real that "jesus."
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb, madog

(06-25-2019, 03:39 AM)Minimalist Wrote: ...Betty Crocker was a 1921 marketing creation by General Mills.

And she was never any more real that "jesus."

I never knew that. Even in Australia we have small kitchen utensils marketed under the "Betty Crocker" brand name.
I always assumed (yes, I know!) that "she" was some old-fashioned mistress of the USA's cooking hierarchy. Even me,
as a skeptic, sucked it up. Oh fucking dear.    Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dānu, brunumb, Minimalist, TheGentlemanBastard