Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mythicist Christ, what is the objection? II

(07-16-2019, 01:03 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 03:20 AM)Free Wrote: ...The incredible stupidity of it wreaks of some fucked up psychosis so deeply etched in the psyche that it could set back the advancement of psychiatry by another 100 years.

I'm guessing you mean "reeks"?

Wreaks; verb —to carry out the promptings of (one's anger, will, desire, etc.),
as on a victim or object;  to inflict or execute (punishment, vengeance, etc.)

Nice catch.

I stand corrected.

Thumbs Up
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • SYZ

(07-16-2019, 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 04:33 AM)Dānu Wrote: I suspect Ehrman has evolved into an empty shill.  Like a preacher who no longer believes, he appears to lament having forsaken his gravy train, and is simply trying to keep his books in the public view.

Ehrman is a scary dude. He seems very angry, like someone who could fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

Truth?

It isn't arrogance. It isn't confidence either.

He's overworked and needs to slow down.

feed the troll I dare you
are we done feeding the troll?
First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.

Doth protests against reason, @Free

Earl Doherty
Victor J. Stenger
Ruth Hurmence Green
Richard Carrier
David Fitzgerald

No, His Majestic Greatness, Free the Magnificent has already determined that anyone who disagrees with his asinine positions cannot be a "real scholar."

Why do think I call him an arrogant fuck?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, brunumb

(07-17-2019, 06:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote: No, His Majestic Greatness, Free the Magnificent has already determined that anyone who disagrees with his asinine positions cannot be a "real scholar."

Why do think I call him an arrogant fuck?

Here you go lying again. Did you not even read this thread? What did I say about Price? What did I say about Lataster? Those two are scholars who I disagree with.

See? That's why you can't win debates. You intentionally misrepresent the facts and immediately lose all credibility.

(07-17-2019, 04:16 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Doth protests against reason, @Free

Earl Doherty
Victor J. Stenger
Ruth Hurmence Green
Richard Carrier
David Fitzgerald

Only one qualified person in that list, and he's already been discredited earlier. Doherty isn't scholarly. The others are just public speakers.

If speaking at public events makes you a scholar, then I must be a scholar extraordinaire since I have been in front of a microphone over 1000 times over the past 33 years.

Confused

[Image: giphy.gif]
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, Chas, mordant, brunumb, Free, SYZ

you'd think after 33 years a person would have a better argument than "theologians believe it" disguised as an appeal to popularity
First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
The following 1 user Likes Schrodinger's Outlaw's post:
  • Phaedrus

(07-17-2019, 02:19 PM)Free Wrote: If speaking at public events makes you a scholar, then I must be a scholar extraordinaire
since I have been in front of a microphone over 1000 times over the past 33 years.

So has Donald Trump.       Chuckle
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Free, Alan V, madog, Minimalist

How do we know that Free isn't Donald Trump?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

This is the kind of shit about Bart Ehrman that pisses me off.  He has a good idea, does spectacular research on it and then apparently scares himself out of thinking about it.  From his book, "Jesus Before The Gospels."

Quote:It was just a few years ago that I came to realize that the study of memory, as pursued by scholars who did not work on the New Testament, could provide some valuable and keen insights into such matters. These other scholars work in a number of disciplines well represented in the academy, such as psychology, sociology, and anthropology. Their insights may be especially relevant to understanding how the earliest Christians told and retold the stories about Jesus after his death but before the Gospels were written. This was a mysterious period of oral transmission, when stories were circulating, both among eyewitnesses and, even more, among those who knew someone whose cousin had a neighbor who had once talked with a business associate whose mother had, just fifteen years earlier, spoken with an eyewitness who told her some things about Jesus.

How were such people—those people at the tail end of the period of transmission—telling their stories about Jesus? Did they remember very well what they had heard from others (who had heard from others who had heard from others)? Were the stories they told accurate reflections of what they heard? Or, more remotely, of what Jesus said and did? Or had their stories been molded, and shaped, or even invented in the processes of telling, remembering, and retelling the stories? During the forty to sixty-five years between Jesus’s death and the first accounts of his life, how much had the stories been changed? How much was being accurately remembered? Modern studies of memory may possibly provide us with some much-needed insights into the question.

I have seen this from him in other places.  He considers the idea that this horseshit is simply invented, shits a brick, and runs away from it.

Face reality head on, Bart.  Grow some balls.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

(07-18-2019, 09:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote: How do we know that Free isn't Donald Trump?

Because Free seems to have a better grasp of spelling and grammar than Trump.

Spell checker.

(07-17-2019, 02:19 PM)Free Wrote: If speaking at public events makes you a scholar, then I must be a scholar extraordinaire
since I have been in front of a microphone over 1000 times over the past 33 years.

You work at Best Buy ?
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Free, Minimalist, Dancefortwo, brunumb

(07-19-2019, 02:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

You work at Best Buy ?

lol

Formerly a professional singer, DJ, Master of Ceremonies, and Public Address Announcer. I was an entertainer from the ripe old age of 10 years old until about 14 years ago.

Meet my "friends":

I have a better voice than Seth. True story.

what an asshole

(07-19-2019, 02:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

You work at Best Buy ?

LOLOL! That's one of the great lines. I'm stealing that.  Thank you in advance. LOLOL 

I knew this thread wos good for something.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(07-18-2019, 09:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote: How do we know that Free isn't Donald Trump?

Donald Trump obviously has a much higher IQ than Free.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(07-08-2019, 02:47 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 04:48 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: I don't mind calling you stupid fuck but do I gotta quote and format for you to respond????????????

On Paul, supposedly he met with the disciples of Jesus.  That seems to indicate strongly thee was a Jesus to be a disciple of.  James was a brother of the recently deceased Jesus.  Paul strikes me as a man with tunnel vision.  He was interested in taking the message of Jesus as messiah to the gentile world to exclusion of all else.  Everybody was waiting for the return of Jesus and end of the world as we knew it.  Hard to square that with a mythical Jesus.  That idea was all that mattered to Paul.

Paul may have supplied the idea that even gentiles could be saved, a idea later grafted onto Jesus in the gospels.  Since the end was very near, nothing else was important.  Not even a full accounting of the life of Jesus, which Paul seems to assume his audience was familiar with the claims of messiahood.  This seems to me to indicate a shadowy but real Jesus behind all of this, not a mythological Jesus.

Other people's mileage may vary.
I am from the understanding that pre paul christians didn't reveal what their teachings were to the public hence why they were investigated, the notion of a death and resurrection was an inside story familiar to the initiates

Yes, jesusism had the earmarks of other Mystery Cults which flourished in the Roman Empire.  They kept their rites and rituals secret by passing them verbally from master to initiate which, if you think about it, makes complete sense for small groups in a largely illiterate society.  But the simple fact is that we have no xtian writings of any substance prior to the mid 2 century AD and even those we cannot be sure have not been tampered with by later forgers or dogmatic reinterpreters.

Greece also had its own set of mystery cults, and it's interesting that the theme of the Gospel of Mark is the "messianic secret" where the followers are constantly being told not to tell anyone what they discovered or found out (the "secret" being that Jesus was the messiah). A mystery cult.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Secret

What is a "myth?"  Merriam-Webster says:

Quote:a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon

Gullibility and cultural affinity plays a large part in mythology.  This Japanese creation myth:

Quote:Japanese Creation Myth
Long ago all the elements were mixed together with one germ of life. This germ began to mix things around and around until the heavier part sank and the lighter part rose. A muddy sea that covered the entire earth was created. From this ocean grew a green shoot. It grew and grew until it reached the clouds and there it was tranformed into a god. Soon this god grew lonely and it began to create other gods. The last two gods it made, Izanagi anf Izanami, were the most remarkable.
One day as they were walking along they looked down on the ocean and wondered what was beneath it. Izanagi thrust his staff into the waters and as he pulled it back up some clumps of mud fell back into the sea. They began to harden and grow until they became the islands of Japan.
The two descended to these islands and began to explore, each going in different directions. They created all kinds of plants. When they met again they decided to marry and have children to inhabit the land. The first child Izanami bore was a girl of radiant beauty. The gods decided she was too beautiful to live in Japan, so they put her up in the sky and she became the sun. Their second daughter, Tsuki-yami, became the moon and their third and unruly son, Sosano-wo, was sentenced to the sea, where he creates storms.
Later, their first child, Amaterasu, bore a son who became the emperor of Japan and all the emperors since then have claimed descent from him.

Would instantly be dismissed as ludicrous by asswipe jesus freaks who would gleefully accept "yahweh" poofing the entire universe into existence for shits and giggles.   Do remember that until the late 18th century, denying this judeo-xtian horseshit could get you burned at the stake in the supposedly "advanced" west.