Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion of Peace Strikes Again!
Exclamation 
I was angered and saddened to read of the fate of this young Islamic woman in my morning paper...

Bangladeshi teenager burned alive after reporting sexual assault to police

"Protesters took to the streets in Bangladesh's capital to demand justice for a 19-year-old
woman who died after being set on fire for refusing to drop sexual harassment charges
against her Islamic school's principal...

When she refused, she said her hands were tied and she was doused in kerosene and
set alight...

Nusrat Jahan Rafi told the story to her brother in an ambulance on the way to the hospital
and he recorded her testimony on his mobile phone.  She died four days later with burns
covering 80% of her body."

[Image: 800-1.jpg]

—And people ask me why I detest the Islamic religion, and those radicalised zealots that follow
it according to the Quran's reprehensible directives and barbaric Dark Ages practices.  This
example—and there's hundreds like it that go unreported—is one of the reasons I'm concerned
about the way that an increasing number of practising Muslims are insidiously infecting our
secular Western governments at all levels; local, state, and federal.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 6 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Tres Leches, brunumb, Gwaithmir, Szuchow, Gawdzilla Sama, pablo

When your faith -- no matter which one it is -- impels you to kill people, you're scum.

Here's hoping the murderers suffer more than this poor young lady did. Fuck 'em.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ, Astreja, pablo

Religion allows people to feel justified to indulge their most lizard-brain impulses. It's bad when women do it but when men do it it's murder, rape and violence.
The following 6 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Minimalist, Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ, pablo, Dānu

Unfortunately, this practice isn't exclusive to Islam. Hindu and Buddhist people in the region also practice this form of violence. I'm somewhat reassured by the increasing backlash against these acts of violence by the local populations. More and more people, especially women, are protesting those heinous crimes which gives me hope that a real cultural change could happen in the near future. We need to keep supporting these people as well as the NGO's who tackle issues of gender equality in the region.
The following 8 users Like epronovost's post:
  • pocaracas, Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ, Astreja, pablo, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, tomilay

Marx claimed that religion was opium, Lenin dumbed down smart critique into naming religion a vodka. think that both of them were too lenient - religion is cancerous shit deserving only of irradication, lest it's barbarity will continue to infect mankind.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, pablo

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]The Thumpster:
When your faith -- no matter which one it is -- impels you to kill people, you're scum.

Indeed!
I think that if you believe your god is telling you to kill in its name, it's time to find yourself a new god.

I am fairly certain that if there truly is a supreme being, it doesn't need your help with anything, anything at all!
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, pablo

(04-21-2019, 05:26 PM)no one Wrote: [Image: icon_quote.jpg]The Thumpster:

Indeed!
I think that if you believe your god is telling you to kill in its name, it's time to find yourself a new god.

I am fairly certain that if there truly is a supreme being, it doesn't need your help with anything, anything at all!

It certainly, at the very least, owes us all an apology.
Thumbsdown
I've recently grown rudimentary legs and I am now making the move from water to land.
[Image: 7GV4EnI.png?1]

At least the anti-vaxxers over here have not gotten this extreme..... yet.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04/25/...-pakistan/

Quote:Gunmen kill polio vaccine worker, wound another in Pakistan

Quote:Local police official Sami Agha says the assailants fled after Thursday’s attack, which was the third this week.

I would be inclined to say "die, dumbasses."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

While focusing on the religion is useful, it's important to realize that these crimes also stem from attitudes about women and sex crimes generally, independent of their religious context. The cases of people defending college athletes such as star football players accused of rape is an example from the west that doesn't involve religion at all, or, at least if you don't consider college football a religion. Additional examples are the unfair and rather corrupt methods and policies that colleges use for dealing with sexual abuse cases.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • mordant