Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist National Convention

Anyone going to the American Atheists National Convention in Cincinnati, OH April 19-21?

I'm in the area so I figure I might as well check it out. And i have that Friday off work for Good Friday, funnily enough.
The following 1 user Likes Maffis's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damn, just outside our dash radius.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(04-06-2019, 04:40 AM)Maffis Wrote: Anyone going to the American Atheists National Convention in Cincinnati, OH April 19-21?

I'm in the area so I figure I might as well check it out. And i have that Friday off work for Good Friday, funnily enough.

I'd love to go, but can't for reasons of health. The last time I went to an atheist convention was in the early 1990's.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Just a hop, skip and jump over to the Ark Encounter, sounds like it could be fun.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Nah. Too far away and, while I am one, it isn't really of much consequence to me.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(04-07-2019, 01:48 AM)brewerb Wrote: Just a hop, skip and jump over to the Ark Encounter, sounds like it could be fun.

I've heard the security guards are on the lookout for atheists. Be subtle.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • brewerb, Gwaithmir

The nearest we have to an Atheist convention is a Humanist convention here in the UK in Leicester in June.

We are definitely going.
Do I sound like a fucking people person?

I've never been to one before, and when I looked up the speakers I didn't really recognize anyone. But if I can still get tickets to see the guys from the Scathing Atheist/God Awful Movies, that could be fun. And there's a trivia night at a bar nearby. Might check it out.

(04-07-2019, 01:48 AM)brewerb Wrote: Just a hop, skip and jump over to the Ark Encounter, sounds like it could be fun.

I actually went with family on a family vacation last year. I wasn't planning on going but I let them pouting guilt me into it. They could tell I didn't want to be there but they weren't preachy or anything and thanked me for going so it wasn't too bad. My dad/brother even listened a couple times when I countered something shown in the displays.

Overall it was pretty disappointing though. The most impressive thing was the wood work.

(04-07-2019, 10:02 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

My cop brother was chatting to one of the security guards when we were there and he took my family up to the balcony on the top floor, which was unfinished. Pretty cool I guess. I didn't say anything while they "fellowshipped", just enjoyed the view and played with my nephew.

Their attendance is so low they can't afford to turn anyone away.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I'd love to go, & Cincinnati is a reasonable day trip for me, but $250 per person is more than I'm willing to spend.

(04-11-2019, 03:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

Their attendance is so low they can't afford to turn anyone away.

Duh. They'll let you pay and then throw you out with no refunds.