Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelation blood bath

Revelation blood bath
Lol, RationalWiki did a calculation of the this passage from Revelations.  

"The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God's wrath. They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses' bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia.
Revelation 14:18-20" 

"Let's assume that 1600 stadia (320 kilometres = 320,000 metres) is the diameter of the lake of blood, therefore, the radius is 800 stadia or 160km. Let's also assume that a horse's bridle is approximately 1.5 metres from the ground, giving us its depth.
We can then calculate the volume of blood using the formula: V = πr2h. Using biblical value of π = 3 we get the formula:
3 × 160,000 × 160,000 × 1.5 = 115200000000 = 1.152×1011 cubic metres of blood.
1 cubic metre = 1000 litres
115200000000 × 1000 = 115200000000000 = 1.152×1014 litres of blood
If we divide this number by the average amount of blood in a human body, 5.5 litres:
115,200,000,000,000 ÷ 5.5 = 20,945,454,545,500
So we find that according to scripture, at a bare minimum according to one interpretation, God will kill approximately 20,945,454,545,500 people. That's in the trillions.
However, since it says flows and not pools, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that a river was formed. Assuming they measured the blood-flow using actual horses, and a horse is 1 metre across.
320,000 × 1 × 1.5 = 480,000 cubic metres of blood.
480,000 × 1000 = 480,000,000
480,000,000 ÷ 5.5 = 87,272,727
So, in another interpretation, God will kill a minimum of 87,272,727 people to produce a horse bridle-high blood-flow."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Examples_o...ing_people

Even if the biblical god did exist I'd tell him to fuck off. What a sick disgusting book. 
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brewerb, Unsapien

Revelation blood bath
Revelation is such an angry book. Just what you'd expect from some resentful deluded asshole sitting in jail, with some rancid mushrooms thrown in.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Revelation blood bath
(03-30-2019, 08:42 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Revelation is such an angry book.  Just what you'd expect from some resentful deluded asshole sitting in jail, with some rancid mushrooms thrown in.

It's been speculated that the Island of Patmos, where  "John" was perhaps written,  had a natural supply of psychedelic mushrooms.  I've tried to find a credible source for mushrooms growing on the island but haven't found one yet.  I did find this...

http://entheology.com/peoples/revelation...ic-vision/

but I'd still like more confirmation.
                                                         T4618

Revelation blood bath
Didn't Martin Luther determine that Revelation was apocryphal?
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Revelation blood bath
I've been to Patmos.  Much bullshit.  Little fact.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Revelation blood bath
As I understand it the whole schmear is an allegory for the then current political situation.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Revelation blood bath
(03-30-2019, 11:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: As I understand it the whole schmear is an allegory for the then current political situation.

Hummm  A  basket of mushrooms looking supiciously like red psychadelic mushrooms from the mosaic floor of the  4th century Basillica of Aquileia.    Winking

[Image: ancient-romans-ate-mushrooms-aquileia-ba...mosaic.jpg]
                                                         T4618

Revelation blood bath
(03-30-2019, 11:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: As I understand it the whole schmear is an allegory for the then current political situation.

Yeah me too I think the whole "666" thing is some odd matrix that somehow equals "Rome" or Rome is the beast or some jacked up shit like that.  Dude's basically just pissed off because nobody bought his bullshit.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Dancefortwo

Revelation blood bath

Most probably.  Even more it probably began life as Jewish apocalyptic writing which was later gobbled up by xtian shits.

Revelation 17:10 states:  

Quote: Revelation 17:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
King James Version

So take a dash of history and add in a pinch of math and we see:

Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero being the 5 who had "fallen."  The one who "is" would have been Servius Sulpicius Galba who was acclaimed Emperor when Nero committed suicide in June, 68 managed to piss off just about everyone by January of 69 and was killed by the Praetorian Guard.  Thus the original writing of this nonsense could be dated to December/January 68/69.  It is unlikely that any Jew besieged in Jerusalem would have been sufficiently cognizant of Roman politics to know about the machinations of Marcus Salvius Otho and subsequently Lucius Vitellius Veteris but could have been fully cognizant of Josephus' prophecy, also in 68, that Vespasian would be the next Emperor and the one would must "continue" a short space.

I know xhristards spend a lot of time trying to find alternative explanations which would enhance the mystery of this drivel.  There is no mystery in the fears of the Jews who in 68 watched Vespasian unleash a brilliant series of moves which cut off the communication routes into the city and let them starve for a while. Anyone who had two functioning brain cells knew that when it came to siege warfare the Romans had Ph. D's.  There was no doubt how this war would end.   Meanwhile, Vespasian was keeping an eye on events in Rome and doubtlessly conspiring with Governor Mucianus of Syria for his own run at the throne.  Of course, he succeeded.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Revelation blood bath
(03-31-2019, 02:10 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Hummm  A  basket of mushrooms looking supiciously like red psychadelic mushrooms from the mosaic floor of the  4th century Basillica of Aquileia.    Winking

[Image: ancient-romans-ate-mushrooms-aquileia-ba...mosaic.jpg]
Yeah, or not. But that's not much to support that idea.

Revelation blood bath
Why was the winepress outside the city? Is that where the stables were so that they would measure with horse bridles?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Revelation blood bath
(03-31-2019, 02:20 PM)brewerb Wrote: Why was the winepress outside the city? Is that where the stables were so that they would measure with horse bridles?

Because that's where the vineyards were?
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist

Revelation blood bath
(03-31-2019, 02:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 02:20 PM)brewerb Wrote: Why was the winepress outside the city? Is that where the stables were so that they would measure with horse bridles?

Because that's where the vineyards were?

Sounds like a plan. Thumbs Up