Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the world progresses,...

...does it become harder to be a good person?

Discuss.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V, jerry mcmasters

No. People will be people, until there aren't any people.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-08-2019, 02:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: If the world progresses does it become more difficult to be a good person?

No.

A good person is anyone who intentionally harms less than they intentionally help. That doesn't depend on the times. Moral progress just means that there's less harming, and more helping, and it's actually the primitive moralizing of religion that pushes for sainthood and condemns those who don't reach it as all "sinners".
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • mordant

Check out this Indian whackadoodle...

Indian "anti-natalist" Raphael Samuel taking legal action against his own parents for having him

Twenty-seven-year-old Raphael Samuel says he plans to take legal action against his parents because they
brought him into the world without his consent.  The Mumbai businessman identifies as an anti-natalist; one
who assigns a negative value to birth and believes that life is so full of misery that humans should stop procreating.

I couldn't stop laughing at his crappy fake beard.      Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus

(02-08-2019, 04:25 PM)SYZ Wrote: Check out this Indian whackadoodle...

Indian "anti-natalist" Raphael Samuel taking legal action against his own parents for having him

Twenty-seven-year-old Raphael Samuel says he plans to take legal action against his parents because they
brought him into the world without his consent.  The Mumbai businessman identifies as an anti-natalist; one
who assigns a negative value to birth and believes that life is so full of misery that humans should stop procreating.

I believe his seeking such a path should result in his passing, but that's just me.

Good, as they see themselves, as others see them, how they conform to society?

I hope I'm not the judge.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(02-08-2019, 04:30 PM)brewerb Wrote: Good, as they see themselves, as others see them, how they conform to society?

I hope I'm not the judge.

People presume the role of judge.

http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...p?tid=2658
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

His wish to sue his parents is silly, futile and absurd ... but anti-natalism itself actually makes a lot of sense from an ethical, logical, philosophical and compassionate standpoint.

(02-08-2019, 02:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: ...does it become harder to be a good person?

Discuss.

I think it becomes easier to be a good person with progress, since so many moral positions, best practices, and safeguards are built right into our systems with progress.  Even ordinary people can be extraordinary with good systems.

If parents are outlawed, only outlaws will have parents.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 3 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ, mordant

Unless the definition of a good person changes as progress is made. Though i'm more curious as to how others view progression.

(02-08-2019, 02:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: ...does it become harder to be a good person?

Discuss.

'Progress' suggests a desired end state, which of course is not measured against any Universal standard as no such standard exists.

Personally I set myself very low standards of 'progress' and I hit them every day, meaning I'm an excellent person!!

Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Squalorpalooza's post:
  • Fireball, mordant

Discuss.

All I know is that a hard man is good to find.
                                                         T4618

I'm going with Solzhenitsyn. The line between good and evil runs down the middle of every man's heart. Where that line lies wanders based on the man and his choices. I don't think the choices have become much murkier, because we each usually know when our behaviors hurt others.

At that point, it becomes a choice. And that choice isn't foreordained, because people are gonna people.
On hiatus.

(02-20-2019, 12:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm going with Solzhenitsyn. The line between good and evil runs down the middle of every man's heart. Where that line lies wanders based on the man and his choices. I don't think the choices have become much murkier, because we each usually know when our behaviors hurt others.

At that point, it becomes a choice. And that choice isn't foreordained, because people are gonna people.

While I like Solzhenitsyn I would go with something akin to predestination here - some people will suck thanks to being born in wrong families and raised in bad environment and world progressing don't have much to do with it. They still have choice but line is skewed and it ain't run through the middle. (Leaving aside this good and bad thingy being too simplified, it's not like most people are actively malicious, they merely have different priorities and different views of what is good).

OP aside it is indifference that I see as bigger issue - millions of people die from hunger and I see no marches, protests or demonstrations that would try to force politicians to revise their policy regarding Africa. Sure, some can say that this is indifference that allows us to sleep but to me it is primary sign of something being wrong with human race.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, mordant

Considering the worlds progress i think we do some walking backwards and then kinda run forwards again I think we will always have problems but i don't think they'll be as big of problems so things may become easier, people may get board eventually to, you know...that's a good question. but then we may figure out away around that if we don't kill our planet first and live on and learn then i think we have a chance of also learning to continue to be good.