Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disapointing meal

Disapointing meal
(02-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: Actually the American usage of Biscuit is far closer to the original meaning.  Middle English: from Old French bescuit, based on Latin bis ‘twice’ + coctus, past participle of coquere‘to cook’ (so named because originally biscuits were cooked in a twofold process: first baked and then dried out in a slow oven so that they would keep).  Twice cooked flat breads (Hardtack and the like) much more resemble the savory biscuits than it does sweet shortbread.

True, but, as you remarked elsewhere, language evolves and follows current usage. The etymological origins are often interesting but obsolete in modern usage.

The American biscuit is, indeed, closer to the original meaning of the word. But I'm sure we had some sort of biscuit in Britain before they had any in American Wink

True, the French had them first ... and they were closer to the American biscuit than the British biscuit ... but they were called "bescuits" and not "biscuits"! Wink

Of course, what this really demonstrates is that arguing over etymology and the names of the concepts, rather than what the concepts refer to, is indeed silly. Although being silly together is fun so there's naught to regret about this convo!

The real answer here is that "a Rose under any other name would smell just as sweet" and the savory American biscuit under any other name would be just as scrumptious and so would the sweet British biscuit (which is just what you guys would call cookies, but we only call round chocolate chip ones "cookies" ... but we also consider such cookies to be a type of biscuit ... so their utter tastiness with a glass of milk is indeed an example of the tastiness of "biscuits" just as much as American "biscuits" with gravy are Wink).

I've never had American biscuits with gravy because I've never seen anywhere in the UK that does them (and I can't cook). ... but they sound fucking delicious. But completely different, of course, to cookies. I like both savory and sweet stuff.

I would probably find biscuits hard to beat dumplings though Consider That's what I love with my gravy! Mmmmmm. Drool

Would dumplings and biscuits sit well together in combination, though?  Consider   Dance Drool
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • c172

Disapointing meal
(02-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 06:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 12:51 AM)no one Wrote: I went to a breakfast joint that proclaimed "Best Breakfast In Town" . Their menu emphasized homemade Biscuits and Gravy...

Uh... what the fuck are "biscuits and gravy"?

Downunder, these are biscuits...
[Image: Assorted-Creams-275x210-1.jpg]
Usually accompanied by a cup of tea or coffee.  
Often filled with jam or cream, or chocolate coated.

And gravy?  That'd be this slop...
[Image: 171683.gif]

But actually mixed to-fucking-gether?  Hooly dooley mate!

Big Grin     Big Grin     Big Grin

Actually the American usage of Biscuit is far closer to the original meaning.  Middle English: from Old French bescuit, based on Latin bis ‘twice’ + coctus, past participle of coquere‘to cook’ (so named because originally biscuits were cooked in a twofold process: first baked and then dried out in a slow oven so that they would keep).  Twice cooked flat breads (Hardtack and the like) much more resemble the savory biscuits than it does sweet shortbread.

Zwieback. Translates as "twobake". Mostly given to teething kids to suck on. Probably not today, but that used to be wide spread.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Disapointing meal
Slightly off topic. I asked my wife if she would prefer me to be a bit more forthright and say something when I'm not happy. She said she would.
I asked her if she always spoke out when she was not happy with something. She said she does.

I took the opportunity to ask her if she was happy with the size of my equipment. She thought about it long and hard.

Forget I typed this. It was very immature of me. Very immature indeed.
The following 3 users Like Nipper's post:
  • SYZ, Dānu, Fireball

Disapointing meal
(02-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: Actually the American usage of Biscuit is far closer to the original meaning.

Apparently not according to Wiki:

The Old French word bescuit is derived from the Latin words bis (twice) and coquere, coctus (to cook, cooked), and, hence,
means "twice-cooked". This is because biscuits were originally cooked in a twofold process: first baked, and then dried out in a
slow oven. This term was then adapted into English in the 14th century during the Middle Ages;, in the Middle
English word bisquite, to represent a hard, twice-baked product. The Dutch language from around 1703 had adopted the
word koekje ("little cake") to have a similar meaning for a similar hard, baked product. The difference between the secondary
Dutch word and that of Latin origin is that, whereas the koekje is a cake that rises during baking, the biscuit, which has no
raising agent, in general does not, except for the expansion of heated air during baking.

These things are definitely not biscuits...

[Image: R125843.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg]

...but are, in reality, scones—as the rest of the English-speaking world describes them.         Sun
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Disapointing meal
@abaris, Yeah, I don't return food for that reason. If I don't like it I just don't finish and don't go back.
On hiatus.

Disapointing meal
(02-09-2019, 11:51 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I've never had American biscuits with gravy because I've never seen anywhere in the UK that does them (and I can't cook). ... but they sound fucking delicious.

One of my favorite memories from my boyhood come from when we'd visit my grandma's and I'd wake up to the smell of bacon, eggs, and biscuits-and-gravy she'd be cooking. You can call 'em what you want, I call 'em comfort. I still haven't mastered -- or gotten close to -- her gravy.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Losty

Disapointing meal
M
(02-10-2019, 01:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: Actually the American usage of Biscuit is far closer to the original meaning.

Apparently not according to Wiki:

The Old French word bescuit is derived from the Latin words bis (twice) and coquere, coctus (to cook, cooked), and, hence,
means "twice-cooked". This is because biscuits were originally cooked in a twofold process: first baked, and then dried out in a
slow oven. This term was then adapted into English in the 14th century during the Middle Ages;, in the Middle
English word bisquite, to represent a hard, twice-baked product. The Dutch language from around 1703 had adopted the
word koekje ("little cake") to have a similar meaning for a similar hard, baked product. The difference between the secondary
Dutch word and that of Latin origin is that, whereas the koekje is a cake that rises during baking, the biscuit, which has no
raising agent, in general does not, except for the expansion of heated air during baking.

These things are definitely not biscuits...

[Image: R125843.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg]

...but are, in reality, scones—as the rest of the English-speaking world describes them.         Sun
The texture is very different from a scone, at least the ones I’ve had in England.  A good biscuit is fluffy/light inside, not dense like a scone.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Revenant77x, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

Disapointing meal
If it stays in one piece when dipped into a cup of tea, then and only then it's a Biscuit. A Scone when dipped, ends up like a big sloppy mess.
Having said that. Rich tea are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they snap off and plop into the Tea and they are classified as a Biscuit.

Disapointing meal
At any rate, the most disappointing "meals" I've ever eaten were at McDonald's, KFC, and Pizza Hut—in that order.

Fast food? Depends on your definition of food I guess LOL.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

Disapointing meal
(02-10-2019, 10:55 PM)SYZ Wrote: At any rate, the most disappointing "meals" I've ever eaten were at McDonald's, KFC, and Pizza Hut—in that order.

Yeah, pretty much shooting fish in the barrel with this post.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

Disapointing meal
(02-11-2019, 01:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yeah, pretty much shooting fish in the barrel with this post.

Aussie McDonald's in Australia has an allegedly upmarket offshoot of their shit takeaway called McCafe... I kid you not LOL.

A friend shouted me a coffee there, and it was the worst brew I've had in my entire life.     Dodgy

Disapointing meal
I love fast food. All that salt, sugar, and fat tickling my evolved desire for such things -- what's not to like?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Disapointing meal
(02-11-2019, 02:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 01:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yeah, pretty much shooting fish in the barrel with this post.

Aussie McDonald's in Australia has an allegedly upmarket offshoot of their shit takeaway called McCafe... I kid you not LOL.

A friend shouted me a coffee there, and it was the worst brew I've had in my entire life.     Dodgy

Unsurprising. The last I ate at McD's was almost a year ago, and that was not my decision.

I can eat their breakfast sandwiches, because it's really hard to fuck up sausage and cheese. 

(02-11-2019, 02:53 AM)Dānu Wrote: I love fast food.  All that salt, sugar, and fat tickling my evolved desire for such things -- what's not to like?

The salt and the sugar turn me the hell off. Too much of a good thing?
On hiatus.

Disapointing meal
Bell pepper stuffing needs the bell pepper. And I could have done w/o that last minute ketchup and Worcs. sauce. Didn't need toast on the side either.

#carbooverload
Is this sig thing on?

Disapointing meal
(02-11-2019, 02:53 AM)Dānu Wrote: I love fast food.  All that salt, sugar, and fat tickling my evolved desire for such things -- what's not to like?

I| do, too, but most such places mess with my GI now. Is BK still doing a Snickers pie? I want one, now.

No matter. I'm a bit too good at making my own comfort food.
Is this sig thing on?

Disapointing meal
(02-07-2019, 07:19 PM)Nipper Wrote: I took my wife out to lunch today. I ordered Asparagus soup and she had an omelette. When the waiter brought out my soup I thought to myself that looks like new born baby crap that does. You know that dark green type.
It may of tasted like new born baby crap as well, I wouldn't know, I just ate the bread rolls.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed my face had a sad expression on it. My wife enjoyed her omelette she also had salad with some wood shavings on it.

I feel like I'm at least £4.50 out of pocket so I'm having some chocolate to cheer myself up.

So my question is.
Do you complain about your disappointing meals, or do you just eat the bread rolls and have some crisps when you get home?

Complain... nicely but firmly.

Disapointing meal
(02-07-2019, 07:19 PM)Nipper Wrote: I took my wife out to lunch today. I ordered Asparagus soup and she had an omelette. When the waiter brought out my soup I thought to myself that looks like new born baby crap that does. You know that dark green type.
It may of tasted like new born baby crap as well, I wouldn't know, I just ate the bread rolls.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed my face had a sad expression on it. My wife enjoyed her omelette she also had salad with some wood shavings on it.

I feel like I'm at least £4.50 out of pocket so I'm having some chocolate to cheer myself up.

So my question is.
Do you complain about your disappointing meals, or do you just eat the bread rolls and have some crisps when you get home?

How do you know it was disappointing if you didn’t even try it? Did you expect asparagus soup to not be green? Lol

Anywho, I don’t usually complain unless I’m at a restaraunt I’m a regular at. They know I tip well so they’re less likely to spit in my food if I complain. Or so I tell myself.
Thanks to Free Thought for my lovely avatar!
The following 1 user Likes Losty's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado