Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else not observing the Super Bowl holiday?

I used to watch football but after reading about what happens to these modern day gladiators after they retire I decided I could do without watching the spectacle any more.

The good news is I can go and do anything I like and find the lines shorter.  I feel like a Jew on Christmas, and I like it.

Anyone else enjoying the opportunity to do other things under less crowded conditions today?  Unfortunately we're experiencing a lot rain right now so that has nixed a number of options.  But soon we're going out to lunch and then either a movie or maybe hit the Y later.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

We were not going out, and will probably watch the game to root for the underdogs. The big mission today is winterizing our trailer, temperatures are forecast in the teens on Tuesday.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Mark

I was planning on going out later to run a a couple of errands. Shouldn't be too hard to avoid the Superbowl, as the coffee shop I was thinking of visiting does not have TVs.

Going to defer a gym visit to another day. There are two giant screens right in front of the aerobics machinery -- one tuned to CBC News, the other to a sporting event -- which would make it difficult to not watch the game.

I have no plans to watch. Football? No thanks. Commercials? They haven’t been that great last couple of years, and you can see them all online anyway if you miss any good ones. Half time show Maroon 5? Eh pass. I’m sure I’ll find some other way to occupy my time today, and won’t feel I’ve missed anything.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • TheGulegon

I don't watch sports. I hardly watch any TV, tbh.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

When is it?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Oh shit. That's today?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Smercury44

Fear not fellow forum people! I have now caught myself up with the news! The Super Bowl is indeed taking place today at 6pm eastern and it will include the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams. 

In accordance with the tradition that I established last year during a very brief stint of NFL curiosity when a Floridian team performed well, I will be rooting for the Los Angeles Rams on the grounds that they are not the New England Patriots. 

All teams take priority over the New England Patriots. 

Go Rams.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • skyking

Let it also be noted by all that I correctly used "rooting" instead of "voting" to describe the type of support that I will be giving the Rams. No post editing was required! Yessss

I watch a lot of sports, but I am very casual about it. I keep forgetting the Rams are the other team. And don't ask me to remember names of QBs, nor any of their stats. I like MLS (but even with soccer, I'm not a stats head).

I'll be around, because I haven't anything to do out in the world. So, I'll likely watch (partially with my back turned so I can tweet and FB. But it's not a priority.
Is this sig thing on?

I gave up on football years ago after realizing that most of the time is spent standing around while the clock runs down.

Football is nothing more than a 3 hour beer commercial.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Aliza

It's on record. I can't stand to sit thru a live game. Plus don't want to miss commercials and 1/2 time. I'm such a ninny.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

People keep telling me there's football being played today, but Bronco season ended weeks ago. Consider
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Aliza, skyking

I remember living in Plano north of Dallas and going out one Sunday to find the streets nearly deserted. The Cowboys were in the Super Bowl, but I hadn't been keeping up with football and had forgotten the big event was that day.

These days, however, my wife's niece has a Super Bowl party every year. I sit with the women in the dining room, while the other guys and a few enthusiastic women watch the game in the living room. Then I leave before halftime.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Fireball, Mark

My city is getting an "Alliance of American Football" team. The AAF starts this month, and everything I've seen makes it seem like they don't do any kicking.
Is this sig thing on?

I plan to read some, play some, nap some, take a long bath, stroll around with my dogs and won't be watching.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Mark, Alan V, Smercury44

It’s live on the BBC. I have it on the background. I don’t know the rules of the game so I’m not sure what’s going on. It seems some guy throws the ball and then they all stop to have a group huddle.
The following 1 user Likes Marozz's post:
  • Mark

(02-03-2019, 11:49 PM)Marozz Wrote: It’s live on the BBC. I have it on the background. I don’t know the rules of the game so I’m not sure what’s going on. It seems some guy throws the ball and then they all stop to have a group huddle.

It's like rugby only with more padding and less action. At least I think it's like rugby. The balls are similar and the field is similar but they stand around a lot in American Football than they do in rugby. 

Rugby is a sport for athletes. American Football is a sport for product endorsers.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Marozz, Mathilda

I’m done with the game, since i brought bad luck to the pats in quarter one.  It’s food channel or Netflix for me for the rest of the night.  

But Gladys Knight did the banana crazy justice.  Glad I got to wach that.
god, ugh

(02-03-2019, 11:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 11:49 PM)Marozz Wrote: It’s live on the BBC. I have it on the background. I don’t know the rules of the game so I’m not sure what’s going on. It seems some guy throws the ball and then they all stop to have a group huddle.

It's like rugby only with more padding and less action. At least I think it's like rugby. The balls are similar and the field is similar but they stand around a lot in American Football than they do in rugby. 

Rugby is a sport for athletes. American Football is a sport for product endorsers.

I know what you mean. Rugby has a lot more action and it is a foul if you throw the ball forward. It makes it more interesting to watch teams gaining territory whilst passing the ball backwards. England beat us, Ireland, in a big game yesterday  Aggravated
The following 1 user Likes Marozz's post:
  • Aliza

Yeah, I'm also working on a nightstand for beside my bed. Just about got the design and dimensioning down. I'm cracking open a beer, as it is now Beer:15. No power tools will be used after this point. I'll kick into motion in the AM.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

I'm still struggling with the moral question, but I love football, and missed the bulk of the playoffs. The only reason to want the Pats to win is so the Steelers fans can no longer lord their six Super Bowl wins over everybody else. That's a good enough reason for me.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • brewerb, Chas

(02-04-2019, 12:02 AM)julep Wrote: I’m done with the game, since i brought bad luck to the pats in quarter one.

They are ahead, though, 3-nil.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • julep

I am skipping it. A ten-hour day at work that started five in the morning, and (because I don't have cable out here in the sticks) I don't feel like hanging out with a bunch of drunk folk to catch it at our local watering-hole.

-Cowboys, or if the Saints had made it, I'd rethink. But I'm loving a cool-but-not-cold evening on the porch.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(02-03-2019, 10:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Football is nothing more than a 3 hour beer commercial.

I could allow commercials to tell me what's what.
But I've decided to take the more proactive approach of taste testing all of them, myself, for 3 hours straight, to find out.  Beercheer
Funny thing, tho, after an hour and a half, they're all rated awesome. Dunno
The following 4 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • c172, TheGentlemanBastard, Smercury44, Fireball