Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sex offenders at work

Sex offenders at work
True story. Here are the details as I understand them.

There is new hire at work. Management doesn't tell anyone, if they even knew in the first place, but someone checks the sex offender registry and there is new employee. 

Dude was arrested once for breaking into some woman's apartment and stealing her panties. Sometime later he is arrested again for breaking into another woman's apartment, violently assaulting her and attempted rape. The reason it was attempted rape is she almost succeeded in clawing his eyes out. He was convicted in part based on DNA obtained from the bite mark he left in her breast. He was convicted in 2006 and got 10 years with 6 years 6 months suspended and served 5 years on probation. About 5 years later he gets a job at your place of employment. 

How would ya'll feel about working with a convicted violent rapist?

Sex offenders at work
Nope nope nope nope nope.

It would be entirely different if he did something stupid as a teenager and ended up getting that label. In that situation - it would be totally unfair to label him that way. However, he's done things twice, and that makes him a repeat offender. He probably didn't learn a lesson the second time, given he didn't learn one the first time. So no - I would not want someone like that working anywhere near me.
      On ignore: Shitty people not deserving of my time or attention.

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 09:03 PM)Joods Wrote: Nope nope nope nope nope.

It would be entirely different if he did something stupid as a teenager and ended up getting that label. In that situation - it would be totally unfair to label him that way. However, he's done things twice, and that makes him a repeat offender. He probably didn't learn a lesson the second time, given he didn't learn one the first time. So no - I would not want someone like that working anywhere near me.

In this particular case I'm not sure about the first time. I don't know how old he was. I do know he was arrested but no conviction so that might not have sunk in. He would have been early to mid 20's the second time and almost 40 now.

Sex offenders at work
I've never searched the registry but is it a picture or just a name or how was it determined it was the same person?
The following 2 users Like mlmooney89's post:
  • Joods, EvieTheAvocado

Sex offenders at work
I would be deeply uncomfortable. I know, paying your debt to society and all that but someone prone to VIOLENT rape (not saying that date rape is better but this is whole other, way more serious and, if you ask me, difficult to overcome propensity for violence).

Of course, there is nothing one can legally and, frankly, morally do. We and employers are not the moral police.

An unpleasant situation however you look at it.

Reminds me of this I read today.

Vigilantes stabbed child killer more than 150 times, court told

Show ContentSpoiler:
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Dānu

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 09:15 PM)mlmooney89 Wrote: I've never searched the registry but is it a picture or just a name or how was it determined it was the same person?

Depends on the registry, but I some have pictures, names and all kinds of other details like last known address.

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 09:19 PM)Vera Wrote: I would be deeply uncomfortable. I know, paying your debt to society and all that but someone prone to VIOLENT rape (not saying that date rape is better but this is whole other, way more serious and, if you ask me, difficult to overcome propensity for violence).

Of course, there is nothing one can legally and, frankly, morally do. We and employers are not the moral police.

An unpleasant situation however you look at it.

Reminds me of this I read today.

Vigilantes stabbed child killer more than 150 times, court told

Show ContentSpoiler:

At least some of the employees in this workplace are trying hard to get rid of the guy. I'm kind of conflicted about that. While I can understand that being around someone like that could (and probably should) make people uncomfortable I don't know what else someone like that is supposed to do. The way I see it society basically has four options for dealing with someone like this.

1. Kill them.
2. Lock them up until they die.
3. Provide them with money for room, board and healthcare for the rest of their lives since they are unemployable.
4. Allow them back into the workforce so they can make their own way like everybody else.
The following 5 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Vera, skyking, Vosur, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

Sex offenders at work
5. "Accidential" fatality! [Image: Gagged.png]
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • ghostexorcist, LadyforCamus

Sex offenders at work
If society at large feels that certain crimes are so egregious that they can never be atoned, then they should be made capital crimes, and administered accordingly.

If the general feeling is that they should not be capital crimes, then the appropriate course would seem to be to assign a jail term and maybe treatment, as appropriate, and once the sentence is served, let the person rejoin society for a fresh start.

In principle I don't even agree with the idea of there being an official "sex offender registry", unless there's also going to be a official "murder/manslaughter registry",  a "violent assault registry", a "burglary registry", an "arson registry", a "DUI registry", a "playing death metal too loud after 10 PM registry", and all the rest.   It's odd to think that the Scarlet Letter" is still with us in the 21st century.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 5 users Like Dr H's post:
  • PopeyesPappy, Vera, c172, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

Sex offenders at work
Let them work where the chance for re-offense, at work, will be minimal.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Vosur

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 08:59 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: How would ya'll feel about working with a convicted violent rapist?

Seeing as how I'm not female......
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Tres Leches

Sex offenders at work
I wouldn't work next to a known rapist. I would not have a moment's peace, always worried. I'd quit.

It's all nice and good to say he should be treated well and have opportunities, but that would not help the reality of the anxiety it would create in me.
Hence I am conflicted on the issue.
[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dānu, Joods

Sex offenders at work
I resided with two criminals in workers hotel and it was fucking annoying. I can't imagine working with violent rapist would be any better.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Sex offenders at work
I'm not sure about other parts of the world , or even other parts of my own country, but the second the work force finds out you have a dark past (and not even that you've done something wrong in the past, but have done something that is deemed morally irredeemable; Rape/killing somebody/child sex offences etc ) then you tend not to get very far, be it that the work force feels uneasy or that somebody will take the matter into their own hands to ensure the offending party doesn't return to work.

My own father worked with a convicted sex offender at one point, and the second his work force found that out, the guy didn't want to come back due to fear of his own personal safety from the others. I never have worded with somebody like that (to me knowledge at least) but I wouldn't be happy about it, that's for sure.
"Ah, we’re not going to church today. Fuck that. Ah, it’s all a bunch of bullshit. God’s everywhere, but I gotta go down there to see him? Really? And he’s mad at me down there, and I owe ya money? Go fuck yourself." - Bill Burr
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Tres Leches

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 08:59 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: True story. Here are the details as I understand them.

There is new hire at work. Management doesn't tell anyone, if they even knew in the first place, but someone checks the sex offender registry and there is new employee. 

Dude was arrested once for breaking into some woman's apartment and stealing her panties. Sometime later he is arrested again for breaking into another woman's apartment, violently assaulting her and attempted rape. The reason it was attempted rape is she almost succeeded in clawing his eyes out. He was convicted in part based on DNA obtained from the bite mark he left in her breast. He was convicted in 2006 and got 10 years with 6 years 6 months suspended and served 5 years on probation. About 5 years later he gets a job at your place of employment. 

Information is power.
<Insert intelligent thought here>
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Tres Leches, Joods

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 11:51 PM)brewerb Wrote: Let them work where the chance for re-offense, at work, will be minimal.

Makes sense.
                                                                                 -- John Cage

Sex offenders at work
(01-18-2019, 02:40 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I resided with two criminals in workers hotel and it was fucking annoying. I can't imagine working with violent rapist would be any better.

<shrug>  I've worked alongside ex-cons who reformed, got an education, became social workers, and have helped hundreds of other at-risk people avoid making the same wrong turns that they did.  For a lot of those people peer-support worked where nothing else would have.

Not everyone has the wherewithal or guts to make that kind of a change,
but some do, and should have the chance to make it.
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 2 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Aroura

Sex offenders at work
(01-18-2019, 09:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 11:51 PM)brewerb Wrote: Let them work where the chance for re-offense, at work, will be minimal.

Makes sense.

It does, but where would that be? The majority position of the ladies here seems to be, "not where I work" so you'd almost have to be talking about someplace that discriminates against women by not having any in the workforce.

Sex offenders at work
"Not in my back yard." As long as the capacity for vengeance outstrips what we consider just recompense, these situations will occur.
[Image: ad_signature.jpg]

Sex offenders at work
I'd tell my boss that I understand that they're allowed to work there but I don't feel comfortable working with them and that my boss should understand my own right to quit and no longer work there if that is going to be the kind of atmosphere I'm going to be working in ... regardless of their future behavior. Impossible to have a good atmosphere, at least for me, if you've constantly got "this guy attacked and raped someone" going through your mind. And I really think it's impossible to keep a job if the atmosphere is bad ... like, I understand that you've gotta pay the rent and all but if your mental health suffers you'll end up living in the hospital anyway.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • LadyforCamus

Sex offenders at work
(01-17-2019, 08:59 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: True story. Here are the details as I understand them.

Is he remorseful? Or does he believe he was wrongfully convicted, is only sorry that he got caught and punished and is on the prowl for his next victim?

But who am I kidding, those are just rhetorical questions. I wouldn't give a convicted rapist any benefit of doubt. There's a reason there's a sex offender registry - because there's a high likelihood that they'll reoffend. It's to warn everyday citizens about these (mostly) guys. I check the registry myself from time to time to see who might be living in my neighborhood.
I might not be as viscerally uncomfortable working with a convicted rapist who targets women if I were a man.

I have to wonder what kind of employer thinks it's ok to hire a convicted rapist. Was he really the best candidate for that position?

-Teresa
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Dānu, LadyforCamus

Sex offenders at work
(01-19-2019, 02:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

Is he remorseful? Or does he believe he was wrongfully convicted, is only sorry that he got caught and punished and is on the prowl for his next victim?

But who am I kidding, those are just rhetorical questions. I wouldn't give a convicted rapist any benefit of doubt. There's a reason there's a sex offender registry - because there's a high likelihood that they'll reoffend. It's to warn everyday citizens about these (mostly) guys. I check the registry myself from time to time to see who might be living in my neighborhood.
I might not be as viscerally uncomfortable working with a convicted rapist who targets women if I were a man.

I have to wonder what kind of employer thinks it's ok to hire a convicted rapist. Was he really the best candidate for that position?

-Teresa

Almost all rapes are performed by the same small group of people, so yea agreed. Except for one bit....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...sly-known/

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/index.html

Nice when data is actually collected to back up the claims, so rare though as if it goes against the narrative it gets silenced in today's world.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/scientific-american/

To be fair I also take issue with the last paragraph in the article I mentioned. Erin Pizzey had her life destroyed because she said these things 60+ years ago, despite all the fine work she did fighting for victims of abuse. Studies do exist that show that men who rape have one major common factor, and that is having been raped as children by females. Though I've been trying to find those studies and have failed to find them recently. Think maybe I'll use my school library to find them, might have better luck going to the source. The last one was done in the 90's.

I mean sure the Violence against women act basically took the existing domestic violence laws and literally re worded the existing laws to make it that only women could ever be victims of domestic violence. Because clearly that's what the domestic violence laws needed, to exclude half the population.

But whatever. Some people like to lie even when they occasionally tell the truth they still gotta slip a lie in there right at the end.

"For example, the common one-dimensional portrayal of women as harmless victims reinforces outdated gender stereotypes. This keeps us from seeing women as complex human beings, able to wield power, even in misguided or violent ways. And, the assumption that men are always perpetrators and never victims reinforces unhealthy ideas about men and their supposed invincibility. These hyper-masculine ideals can reinforce aggressive male attitudes and, at the same time, callously stereotype male victims of sexual abuse as “failed men.”" --Taken from the article above.
^exactly what I've been trying to say. I fully agree with this.
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.

Sex offenders at work
(01-19-2019, 02:30 AM)JesseB Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

-Teresa

Almost all rapes are performed by the same small group of people, so yea agreed. Except for one bit....

Nice when data is actually collected to back up the claims, so rare though as if it goes against the narrative it gets silenced in today's world.

Sorry, my vagina doesn't analyze statistics. The only language it understands is "keep out".

-Teresa
The following 5 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44, The Kerbinator, LadyforCamus

Sex offenders at work
(01-19-2019, 02:36 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Is he remorseful? Or does he believe he was wrongfully convicted, is only sorry that he got caught and punished and is on the prowl for his next victim?

-Teresa

Sorry, my vagina doesn't analyze statistics. The only language it understands is "keep out".

-Teresa

I don't advise thinking with one's dick or vagina. However I agree, "keep out" is perfectly valid. in what way is that relevant to what I said? Pretty sure I agreed with you except for the part where you claimed almost all rape is dudes against women. Rape is wrong, no matter who does it.

But I suppose saying rape is wrong is just something a woman hater would say ya?

Sex offenders at work
(01-19-2019, 02:36 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Is he remorseful? Or does he believe he was wrongfully convicted, is only sorry that he got caught and punished and is on the prowl for his next victim?

-Teresa

-Teresa

Ah, I get you. You think because I claim and think women are people, just as complex and capable of the greatest and basest of deeds, capable of honor, loyalty, and greatness, along with pettiness, brutality, and betrayal and that an individuals choices and virtues or lack there of don't come pre assigned at birth and aren't handed out with dicks or vaginas that clearly that means I just hate all women.

Because if you don't claim women are perfect in every way you must hate them and want to rape them eh?

Nice false dichotomy you've fallen into. Maybe try reading the article. It's clearly written by a feminist. Even if I am not I agree with almost all of it.