Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about god...

Question about god...
I'd forgotten I'd started this thread.  This was one of my better threads. Thanks Mark.  I came to ask this question via a theist telling me that god was "outside of space and time"  and eternal and god existed before the creation of the universe.... or the Big Bang, as the case may be.  Well, my brain, being curious as it is, wondered what a god would with do before the creation of the universe and why would he need eternity when he could just set to immediately and create the universe ASAP.  Did he have to "think" about things before he created stuff?  Does a god actually "think"?   Thinking requires time to exist so he couldn't have thought about anything.  Before creation was god sort of wafting around like a bad San Francisco fog?  I donno, things get very convoluted pretty damned fast when a god is deemed eternal and outside of space and time.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Mark

Question about god...
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?  I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

Augustine's answer to that question.  "Creating hell for those who ask that question".  It has actually been a question hotly argued for many centuries.  Which hinges on whether God is inside time, or outside time.  Augustine again. Confessions, Book XI, on time.
God is outside time, all is a big now to God, past present and future all exist for god.  So there really was no creation, creation has always been happening, is happening and always will be happening. There was no before, and after creation.  This of course makes free will and the problem of evil a problem for theology.  Some people, Bruno for example claim the Universe is infinite so it is possible there are and have been many created and populated worlds, so creation has always been going on.  Which idea PO'd the RCC.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Question about god...
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?
the bible does not say.

Quote:I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?

before time and space there was no " all of that time."
Quote:  Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

darkness, without form and void of everything.

Question about god...
Seeing as how your stupid fucking bible wasn't cobbled together for millennia that's not all that surprising is it?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir

Question about god...
(02-07-2020, 08:46 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 07:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Does anyone know what god was doing before he supposedly created everything?
the bible does not say.

Quote:I mean, if he was floating around "outside of space and time"  what do theists claim he was doing all that time?

Quote: Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

What the hell do I care what the bible says.  It's a book of claims written by scientifically ignorant men who thought donkey's talked, flying insects had 4 legs and didn't know where the sun went at night. Biblical scholars know when, why and where the bible was written and it t'wern't what you idiot Christians have been told.    Learn the difference between a claim and evidence.  

And I'm not all together thrilled that you've invaded my thread, to put it mildly.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Minimalist, Gwaithmir

Question about god...
the bible does not say.
Still... There are lots of things that the bible doesn't say about god, but Christians (or particulate sects of) still believe in them... Like most of Aquinas' deductions, for example.

"Before time"... How contradictory your vocabulary is. Tell me, how can there be a "before" in the absence of time?

But the original question does imply the existence of some sort of time "outside of time and space", so... You should have pointed it out better.

Quote: Was he just kinda hangin out?    I dont' think I've ever seen this discussed.  Wish there was a theist around who could answer my question because I'm certain they'd know the answer.  I'm sure they wouldn't just make up a bunch of shit.  No, they'd never do that.  Whistling

So...like a thing without light, but made up of nothing?... So, basically... Nothing?
The following 1 user Likes pocaracas's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Question about god...

the bible does not say.

Kudos for the best "non-answer" I've seen thus far!

Drich must think we all came down in the last shower.    Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Question about god...
"God so loved the World...". BUT God has to respect man's free will. So how can God get man to consider His way? By letting man have his way and utterly fail. The last 3 1/2 years of this age will be incomparably deadly: ("For at that time there will be great tribulation,... And unless those days had been cut short, no flesh would be saved;" Mt. 24:21-22)(...that they might kill the third part of men.  Rev. 9:15) What we are witnessing today is the total failure of human government. "The WHOLE world lies in the evil one". Believers should NOT allow themselves to become enmeshed in, deadened by, or affected by the details of this. "Don't get caught up trying to fix the plumbing on the Titanic".

Question about god...
(02-09-2020, 08:59 PM)AChristian1985 Wrote: "God so loved the World...". BUT God has to respect man's free will. So how can God get man to consider His way? By letting man have his way and utterly fail. The last 3 1/2 years of this age will be incomparably deadly: ("For at that time there will be great tribulation,... And unless those days had been cut short, no flesh would be saved;" Mt. 24:21-22)(...that they might kill the third part of men.  Rev. 9:15) What we are witnessing today is the total failure of human government. "The WHOLE world lies in the evil one". Believers should NOT allow themselves to become enmeshed in, deadened by, or affected by the details of this. "Don't get caught up trying to fix the plumbing on the Titanic".

Um, fuck you and the talking donkey you rode in on.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Question about god...
(02-09-2020, 08:59 PM)AChristian1985 Wrote: "God so loved the World...". BUT God has to respect man's free will. So how can God get man to consider His way? By letting man have his way and utterly fail. The last 3 1/2 years of this age will be incomparably deadly: ("For at that time there will be great tribulation,... And unless those days had been cut short, no flesh would be saved;" Mt. 24:21-22)(...that they might kill the third part of men.  Rev. 9:15) What we are witnessing today is the total failure of human government. "The WHOLE world lies in the evil one". Believers should NOT allow themselves to become enmeshed in, deadened by, or affected by the details of this. "Don't get caught up trying to fix the plumbing on the Titanic".

It would appear that the talking snake has called you back to Eden because you drank the kool-aid.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

Question about god...

"And they shall stand in despair before the white cliffs of the world, and shall chant from their empty tomes in vain, for their words are nothing! And Erú shall prevail against His enemies and they shall be cast into the Void, for their enchantments are naught and their gods are helpless before Him." (The Silmarillion, 17:82)
Gandalf
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)