Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Catholics

Damned Catholics
(10-15-2019, 11:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Matrimony as a sacrament was not mentioned by the fucking church until the Council of Verona in 1184.  Their reason for doing so was that the Cathars were then flourishing and denouncing marriage.  Anything the Cathars like the church had to oppose and vice versa.

After that I suppose they figured out they could make money off of it and it was off to the races!

Do you know when the  church invented  annulments of marriage?  

Just curious, having been the recipient of one. The every so helpful priest who sent me the letter  told me that the good news was that I can get [re] married in the Catholic  church !(A divorced person may not. ) Can't tell you just  how  thrilled I fucking wasn't to learn that. 

Was a time I thought annulments were a good idea .IE  between too close a degree of blood relationship, non consummation  or where coercion was used.  

I smelled a rat when Princes Caroline of Monaco obtained an annulment from her playboy husband. Seems the poor girl was psychologically  unprepared for marriage. Over the years, the church has been quietly changing the rules. If challenged they will  employe the same kind of doublethink they've used for centuries and pretend those were  always  the rules. I keep using the term "pious humbuggery". It's just  seems appropriate on each occasion.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Quote:Do you know when the  church invented  annulments of marriage? 

Just a guess but I'd say the first time some rich motherfucker waved a bag full of money under their holy noses.  The church could always be bought!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking

Damned Catholics
Pope Francis [...] announced sweeping revisions to the Catholic Church’s marriage annulment process, changes
that are designed to speed up and simplify the often lengthy procedure. The revisions, according to Vatican experts,
appear to be the most far-reaching made to the church’s annulment process in centuries.

An annulment is granted by a Catholic tribunal if it agrees that a marriage originally thought to be valid was actually
missing at least one crucial element from the start, meaning that it was never really a true marriage in the first place.

Current  Catholic teaching on marriage doesn’t recognize divorce. Catholics who are granted a civil divorce and then
remarry are ineligible to take Communion, a key part of active Catholic life. Instead, a Catholic who wants to end
his or her marriage must be granted an annulment, a process that many Catholics believe is too costly and complicated.

Pope Francis announces biggest changes to annulment process in centuries

Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Damned Catholics
(10-16-2019, 12:44 PM)SYZ Wrote: Pope Francis [...] announced sweeping revisions to the Catholic Church’s marriage annulment process, changes
that are designed to speed up and simplify the often lengthy procedure. The revisions, according to Vatican experts,
appear to be the most far-reaching made to the church’s annulment process in centuries.

An annulment is granted by a Catholic tribunal if it agrees that a marriage originally thought to be valid was actually
missing at least one crucial element from the start, meaning that it was never really a true marriage in the first place.

Current  Catholic teaching on marriage doesn’t recognize divorce. Catholics who are granted a civil divorce and then
remarry are ineligible to take Communion, a key part of active Catholic life. Instead, a Catholic who wants to end
his or her marriage must be granted an annulment, a process that many Catholics believe is too costly and complicated.

Pope Francis announces biggest changes to annulment process in centuries

Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics

Fucking old humbug.

Never understood why the church did not allow divorce. It was and remains allowed in Judaism

I discovered after the fact that my ex wife paid $1500 for her annulment. To obtain an annulment one MUST first obtain a civil divorce, even though the church doesn't recognise divorce . If a catholic marries outside of the church that marriage is not recognised by the church , so a divorce is fine.

In case you're wondering; Children from a marriage which didn't exist are perfectly legitimate. Yeah, it's as if one has fallen down a rabbit hole.

Damned Catholics
Quote:Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics

The fuckers need the money.  Too bad a lot of it goes to alimony/child support.

Damned Catholics
Yes....mafia life is perfect.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10...s-vatican/

Quote:Paedophile priests acted ‘like mafia’ abusing schoolboys, as Vatican refused to give crucial evidence

Paedophile priests acted “like the mafia” while abusing boys at an Abbey school, while the Pope’s representative stands accused of using diplomatic immunity to avoid giving evidence about a fugitive monk.
The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) said today that it was “regrettable” and “disappointing” that the Vatican rejected requests for a witness to explain its role in the case of Laurence Soper. 
Soper, a former abbot of the Roman Catholic Ealing Abbey and head of St Benedict’s School, where fees are £17,500 per year, was described in the report as a “prolific abuser” of boys at the school and was a senior figure at both the school and the Abbey.

Nice work, pope fuckface.

Damned Catholics
(10-24-2019, 06:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Nice work, pope fuckface.

Yes... old Frankie seems to think if he ignores the elephant in the room, it'll
disappear.  I note too that he's yet to laicize the infamous Aussie kiddie-fiddler
George Pell, who's been locked up for six years.  Frankie won't be drawn on this
question, and I can only hope he doesn't have any plans for Pell to continue his
archbishopship when he's released, as he'll be on the registered sex-offenders
listing here in Oz for the rest of his life.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist, Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Um.... does anyone want to tell the dumb shits how this happened?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa...story.html

Quote:Two nuns went to Africa and came back pregnant. The Catholic church is investigating

Quote:It could just be a miracle, but the Catholic church is investigating how two nuns became pregnant while on separate missionary trips in Africa.

How do YOU think it happened?

ROFL2
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Inkubus

Damned Catholics
Another pious scumbag gets caught for waving his dick around.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/nyreg...artner=rss

Quote:Brooklyn Bishop Is Accused of Sexual Abuse While a Young Priest

Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, who was recently chosen to lead an inquiry into clergy abuse in Buffalo, faces an accusation of molesting an altar boy in Jersey City in the 1970s.

It's like when the cops have to investigate other cops.  Pervert priests lead the investigation into other pervert priests!

Damned Catholics
Right.  Talk is cheap, Pope Fuckface.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11...ual-abuse/

Quote:Vatican accused of harbouring bishop wanted for alleged sexual abuse of young priests

Prosecutors in Argentina have issued an international arrest warrant for Bishop Gustavo Zanchetta, who is accused of sexually abusing young trainee priests, known as seminarians. He denies the charges.
Bishop Zanchetta, 55, who is close to his fellow Argentine Pope Francis, lives in the Vatican.
Not only that, he reportedly resides in Casa Santa Marta, an accommodation block in the shadow of St Peter’s Basilica where Francis has lived ever since his election six years ago.

Damned Catholics
(11-22-2019, 04:19 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Right.  Talk is cheap, Pope Fuckface.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11...ual-abuse/

Quote:Vatican accused of harbouring bishop wanted for alleged sexual abuse of young priests

Prosecutors in Argentina have issued an international arrest warrant for Bishop Gustavo Zanchetta, who is accused of sexually abusing young trainee priests, known as seminarians. He denies the charges.
Bishop Zanchetta, 55, who is close to his fellow Argentine Pope Francis, lives in the Vatican.
Not only that, he reportedly resides in Casa Santa Marta, an accommodation block in the shadow of St Peter’s Basilica where Francis has lived ever since his election six years ago.

If Zanchetta is truly innocent as he claims, he shouldn't have any qualms about turning himself in to stand trial. The fact that he's hiding out in the Vatican is a tacit admission of guilt.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Damned Catholics
Another perv catholick.  They're crawling out of the woodwork.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50524589

Quote:UN suspends ties after CAR charity head identified as Belgian paedophile

he UN has suspended work with Catholic charity Caritas in the Central African Republic (CAR) after it emerged that its country director was a convicted paedophile.
The UN's humanitarian agency said there were "serious allegations of abuse against minors" in CAR by the charity's former director, Belgian priest Father Luk Delft.
He has been removed from his post and is no longer in the CAR, Caritas says.
CAR officials are investigating.
Belgian and Catholic Church officials are also investigating.

Is that last line supposed to make us think that something will be done to this sick fuck?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

Damned Catholics
I'm sure they each confessed to each other and Pappy Jesus said they were "forgiven."

Think on that while you rot in jail, pervs.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/argenti...ail-terms/

Quote:Argentine priests who abused deaf children get 40-year jail terms

Whatever shall Pope Fuckface have to say on the matter?
  • Fireball

Damned Catholics
I was going to ask if catholics can be damned (wouldn't they not be catholics at that point?), but I relized it was too funny to consider further.

Sometimes you just have to realize a question is logically idiotic...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Damned Catholics
Simply astonishing assholes!

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/revered...bethlehem/

Quote:Revered relic of the Nativity heads back to Bethlehem

Quote:A wooden fragment said to be from the crib of the infant Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on Friday on its way back to Bethlehem after a millenium-long absence.
The relic, housed in Rome since the seventh century, was presented to the Franciscan custodians of the Holy Land at a mass in the Notre Dame Catholic centre opposite the walls of Jerusalem’s Old city.

It will be taken to Bethlehem on Saturday, in time for the traditional lighting of the Christmas tree in Manger Square.

Where it will doubtlessly be used to extract a metric fuckton of money from idiotic xhristard "pilgrims" who think bullshit is real!

Damned Catholics
(11-29-2019, 05:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Simply astonishing assholes!

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/revered...bethlehem/

Quote:Revered relic of the Nativity heads back to Bethlehem

Quote:A wooden fragment said to be from the crib of the infant Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on Friday on its way back to Bethlehem after a millenium-long absence.
The relic, housed in Rome since the seventh century, was presented to the Franciscan custodians of the Holy Land at a mass in the Notre Dame Catholic centre opposite the walls of Jerusalem’s Old city.

It will be taken to Bethlehem on Saturday, in time for the traditional lighting of the Christmas tree in Manger Square.

Where it will doubtlessly be used to extract a metric fuckton of money from idiotic xhristard "pilgrims" who think bullshit is real!

Sounds about right.

Probably dates to the middle ages, where people who bought that shit had no notion of the passage of time ( they had no no clocks either) 

Other relics from that time included straw from baby Jesus' manger, breast milk from the Virgin Mary, enough pieces of the true cross to build a small house and enough nails from the cross to hold that house together.  When in Italy I  saw some churches with  their very own complete saint..   Often it will be seen mouldering away in a glass coffin, in fine robes. It's quite creepy. 

Also in Italy, I learned there  are two churches having the head of John The Baptist.  The bloke got a bit cross when I offered a very simple explanation  : Obviously, one of the heads is of JohnThe Baptist as a younger person. Problem with the deeply devout, they don't understand logic .

The Chapel at my catholic boys school  had a relic. It was a chip of bone from some saint of whom I had never heard.

----Of course ,it seems like every few months there is another bleeding/weeping statue of the virgin  or a piece of toast which looks like Jesus.

The two  most famous relics are ; The Shroud of Turin,  the shroud in which Jesus was wrapped, a forgery from the middle ages. 

The other is:"The Spear Of Destiny", the spear which was thrust into Jesus' side on the cross. Well, the head actually. Currently resides in Vienna after having been pinched by the Nazis--it has magic powers, like a lot of relics. The possessor will never be beaten in battle. Didn't do the Nazis a lot of good. Deadpan Coffee Drinker  

See below. Fair dinkum, those Gospel writers had no shame about what  bullshit they would include

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The Holy Lance, also known as the Lance of Longinus (named after Saint Longinus), the Spear of Destiny, or the Holy Spear is legendarily known as the lance that pierced the side of Jesus as he hung on the cross. 

Biblical references
The lance (Greek: λόγχη, lonkhē) is mentioned in the Gospel of John (19:31–37), but not the Synoptic Gospels. The gospel states that the Romans planned to break Jesus' legs, a practice known as crurifragium, which was a method of hastening death during a crucifixion. Just before they did so, they realized that Jesus was already dead and that there was no reason to break his legs. To make sure that he was dead, a Roman soldier (named in extra-Biblical tradition as Longinus) stabbed him in the side.
One of the soldiers pierced his side with a lance (λόγχη), and immediately there came out blood and water.
— John 19:34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

Damned Catholics
Longinus being a Roman cognomen (3d name) meaning "long" or "tall."  How convenient for a spear, eh?
  • grympy

Damned Catholics
(11-29-2019, 10:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Longinus being a Roman cognomen (3d name) meaning "long" or "tall."  How convenient for a spear, eh?

A smidge Pythonesque

The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • skyking

Damned Catholics
Some Indian nuns have complained about sexual abuse at the hands of clergy.  Bishop Franco Mulakkal is on trial in
Kerala for repeatedly raping a nun.   One sister is risking expulsion from her convent by speaking out against abuse.

Indian nuns risk isolation and expulsion from Catholic Church by speaking out about rape.

Sister Jesme was in her twenties and new to convent life when she found herself alone in a room with a priest. He
told her to undress, then he did the same. She was so shocked she did not know what to do, so she complied. She
had never seen a naked man before. "I was forced to strip off my clothes by the priest who I thought was a very
holy priest." Later, she was approached by a senior nun who asked her to engage in sexual acts. "I thought that
perhaps if I submit to her, she will be okay," said Sister Jesme.

Another nun, Sister Lucy, has taken her fight against the Church to India's civil courts and is hoping that system
will prevent her from being thrown out of the religious order she loves. She wrote a letter to the Pope explaining
her predicament but received no response.

—Typical of slimebag Frankie, the paedophiles' friend.

Damned Catholics
Pope Fuckface has enough problems with priests raping little boys.  He can only handle so much perversion.

Damned Catholics
To wit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50664458

Quote:US bishop resigns amid abuse cover-up accusations

Quote:The Vatican has announced the resignation of a US bishop who faced widespread criticism for his handling of sexual abuse claims.
Bishop Richard J Malone of New York state's Buffalo oversaw one of the country's most scandal-hit dioceses.
It is facing more than 200 lawsuits and an FBI investigation.
In a statement, Mr Malone said that "after much prayer and discernment" he had decided the diocese would be better served by a new bishop.

Yeah, prayer and discernment my ass.  I bet your lawyer said "get your ass out of Dodge, pervert."
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, mordant

Damned Catholics
If this wasn't so fucking tragic it would be funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51086626

Quote:Retired Pope Benedict warns Francis against relaxing priestly celibacy rules

Herr Von Popenfuhrer had the balls to say this:

Quote:In the book, Pope Benedict says celibacy, a centuries-old tradition within the Church, has "great significance" because it allows priests to focus on their duties.

It sure as shit does not seem that they let anything get in the way of fucking the altar boys!
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
(01-13-2020, 05:44 AM)Minimalist Wrote: If this wasn't so fucking tragic it would be funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51086626

Quote:Retired Pope Benedict warns Francis against relaxing priestly celibacy rules

Herr Von Popenfuhrer had the balls to say this:

Quote:In the book, Pope Benedict says celibacy, a centuries-old tradition within the Church, has "great significance" because it allows priests to focus on their duties.

It sure as shit does not seem that they let anything get in the way of fucking the altar boys!

The "high church" tradition (not just the RCC but the eastern orthodox, Episcopalians, etc) attracts people who find ritual and consistency comforting, so even though the RCC didn't have celibate priests all the way back to the alleged time of alleged Jesus, it's been dogma for countless generations and de-emphasizing or changing that in any way is a Big Deal and fraught with downsides for them. But the fact it's even being informally considered shows that they are starting to realize it creates a bigger institutional problem than any benefits it might provide. Maybe it's better to have a wife nagging you than to have your libido nagging you. Maybe it's better to attract heterosexual men so that the sexual exploitation of both genders spreads the suffering around? I don't know. I'm glad it's their problem and not mine, but that Benedict even feels the need to address it strikes me as a hopeful sign of change in the wind.

Disclaimer: I don't have hope this will be substantive change that will make the RCC a "less bad" place for children, but I do see it as part of their frantic thrashing trying to make an unworkable system workable.

Damned Catholics
I am frequently amused at the self-induced failures of some theisms.  But I tip my hat to the Catholics who seem to have developed it into a fine art...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Damned Catholics
(01-13-2020, 05:44 AM)Minimalist Wrote: If this wasn't so fucking tragic it would be funny.
Retired Pope Benedict warns Francis against relaxing priestly celibacy rules

LOL... the blind leading the blind. So now the micks have a former Hitler Youth member
telling Frankie what he should and shouldn't be doing? Both of these silly old men need
to shift gear and start living in 2020 rather than 1920. How many kiddie-fiddlers have
each of them effectively condoned by allowing them to be relocated to distant dioceses?
And why hasn't Frankie laicised jailed Aussie paedophile and enabler George Pell if he's so
keen to stamp out clerical sexual abuse, while voicing the church's abject apologies?
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • grympy, Gwaithmir