Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Catholics

Damned Catholics
(10-15-2019, 11:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Matrimony as a sacrament was not mentioned by the fucking church until the Council of Verona in 1184.  Their reason for doing so was that the Cathars were then flourishing and denouncing marriage.  Anything the Cathars like the church had to oppose and vice versa.

After that I suppose they figured out they could make money off of it and it was off to the races!

Do you know when the  church invented  annulments of marriage?  

Just curious, having been the recipient of one. The every so helpful priest who sent me the letter  told me that the good news was that I can get [re] married in the Catholic  church !(A divorced person may not. ) Can't tell you just  how  thrilled I fucking wasn't to learn that. 

Was a time I thought annulments were a good idea .IE  between too close a degree of blood relationship, non consummation  or where coercion was used.  

I smelled a rat when Princes Caroline of Monaco obtained an annulment from her playboy husband. Seems the poor girl was psychologically  unprepared for marriage. Over the years, the church has been quietly changing the rules. If challenged they will  employe the same kind of doublethink they've used for centuries and pretend those were  always  the rules. I keep using the term "pious humbuggery". It's just  seems appropriate on each occasion.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Quote:Do you know when the  church invented  annulments of marriage? 

Just a guess but I'd say the first time some rich motherfucker waved a bag full of money under their holy noses.  The church could always be bought!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Pope Francis [...] announced sweeping revisions to the Catholic Church’s marriage annulment process, changes
that are designed to speed up and simplify the often lengthy procedure. The revisions, according to Vatican experts,
appear to be the most far-reaching made to the church’s annulment process in centuries.

An annulment is granted by a Catholic tribunal if it agrees that a marriage originally thought to be valid was actually
missing at least one crucial element from the start, meaning that it was never really a true marriage in the first place.

Current  Catholic teaching on marriage doesn’t recognize divorce. Catholics who are granted a civil divorce and then
remarry are ineligible to take Communion, a key part of active Catholic life. Instead, a Catholic who wants to end
his or her marriage must be granted an annulment, a process that many Catholics believe is too costly and complicated.

Pope Francis announces biggest changes to annulment process in centuries

Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Damned Catholics
(10-16-2019, 12:44 PM)SYZ Wrote: Pope Francis [...] announced sweeping revisions to the Catholic Church’s marriage annulment process, changes
that are designed to speed up and simplify the often lengthy procedure. The revisions, according to Vatican experts,
appear to be the most far-reaching made to the church’s annulment process in centuries.

An annulment is granted by a Catholic tribunal if it agrees that a marriage originally thought to be valid was actually
missing at least one crucial element from the start, meaning that it was never really a true marriage in the first place.

Current  Catholic teaching on marriage doesn’t recognize divorce. Catholics who are granted a civil divorce and then
remarry are ineligible to take Communion, a key part of active Catholic life. Instead, a Catholic who wants to end
his or her marriage must be granted an annulment, a process that many Catholics believe is too costly and complicated.

Pope Francis announces biggest changes to annulment process in centuries

Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics

Fucking old humbug.

Never understood why the church did not allow divorce. It was and remains allowed in Judaism

I discovered after the fact that my ex wife paid $1500 for her annulment. To obtain an annulment one MUST first obtain a civil divorce, even though the church doesn't recognise divorce . If a catholic marries outside of the church that marriage is not recognised by the church , so a divorce is fine.

In case you're wondering; Children from a marriage which didn't exist are perfectly legitimate. Yeah, it's as if one has fallen down a rabbit hole.

Damned Catholics
Quote:Francis urged Catholic clergy to keep "open doors" and be more welcoming  to divorced and remarried Catholics

The fuckers need the money.  Too bad a lot of it goes to alimony/child support.

Damned Catholics
Yes....mafia life is perfect.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10...s-vatican/

Quote:Paedophile priests acted ‘like mafia’ abusing schoolboys, as Vatican refused to give crucial evidence

Paedophile priests acted “like the mafia” while abusing boys at an Abbey school, while the Pope’s representative stands accused of using diplomatic immunity to avoid giving evidence about a fugitive monk.
The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) said today that it was “regrettable” and “disappointing” that the Vatican rejected requests for a witness to explain its role in the case of Laurence Soper. 
Soper, a former abbot of the Roman Catholic Ealing Abbey and head of St Benedict’s School, where fees are £17,500 per year, was described in the report as a “prolific abuser” of boys at the school and was a senior figure at both the school and the Abbey.

Nice work, pope fuckface.

Damned Catholics
(10-24-2019, 06:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Nice work, pope fuckface.

Yes... old Frankie seems to think if he ignores the elephant in the room, it'll
disappear.  I note too that he's yet to laicize the infamous Aussie kiddie-fiddler
George Pell, who's been locked up for six years.  Frankie won't be drawn on this
question, and I can only hope he doesn't have any plans for Pell to continue his
archbishopship when he's released, as he'll be on the registered sex-offenders
listing here in Oz for the rest of his life.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist, Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Um.... does anyone want to tell the dumb shits how this happened?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa...story.html

Quote:Two nuns went to Africa and came back pregnant. The Catholic church is investigating

Quote:It could just be a miracle, but the Catholic church is investigating how two nuns became pregnant while on separate missionary trips in Africa.

How do YOU think it happened?

ROFL2
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Inkubus

Damned Catholics
Another pious scumbag gets caught for waving his dick around.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/nyreg...artner=rss

Quote:Brooklyn Bishop Is Accused of Sexual Abuse While a Young Priest

Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, who was recently chosen to lead an inquiry into clergy abuse in Buffalo, faces an accusation of molesting an altar boy in Jersey City in the 1970s.

It's like when the cops have to investigate other cops.  Pervert priests lead the investigation into other pervert priests!