Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here have any experience with psychoanalysis? Also, where does psychology go?

Anyone here have any experience with psychoanalysis? Also, where does psychology go?
I haven't personally though I have seen MFC therapists for my own growth and well being at two points in my life.  

The reason I ask is I just got talking to a lady whose dog and mine use the same park around the block.  We were at a post holiday party given by another dog friend couple who live near by.  I knew this lady Hannah was a therapist of some kind but I hadn't realized she was a pycholanalyst.  So she invited me to join a salon she wants to start up here in Berkeley to discuss things related to her field.  I used to read quite a bit of Freud, Jung and especially Hillman.  

I've always enjoyed talking with her while hanging out with our pups so I figure, why not?  But I don't know anyone who has ever done pycholanalysis so I'm curious to take to someone who has.  If you have but don't care to talk about it in the open forum, could you please PM me?

Also, anyone know if there is a sub-forum already designated for psychology topics?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(01-07-2019, 03:38 AM)Mark Wrote: I haven't personally though I have seen MFC therapists for my own growth and well being at two points in my life.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "MFC".

Quote:I knew this lady Hannah was a therapist of some kind but I hadn't realized she was a psychoanalyst.  So she invited me to join a salon she wants to start up here in Berkeley to discuss things related to her field...

I'm also unsure as to what "join a salon" means.  In Australia, we don't use the term "psychoanalyst".  
We have either psychologists or psychiatrists, and each employs totally different methodologies.

During my twenty years of depressive illness and anxiety therapies, I've consulted both psychiatrists and
psychologists, and relied on both at different times.  Although I have to say I've recently lost faith in most
psychiatrists in favour of psychologists.  I find so-called "talk therapy" far more rewarding, certainly in the
shorter term, but I've also rejected CBT several times due to the doubts of its effectiveness voiced by more
than one therapist.  In the longer term, I've found prescription medication to be the bast solution, and in
fact I haven't seen any pdocs for a couple of years now.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

Other than taking some basic classes in college, just out of curiosity, I have only ever delved into that field when I researched malignant narcissism. I found many diverging opinions, but putting them all together was quite helpful in understanding this mental illness. While both psychology and psychiatry recognize the behavior, the constant lying by the subject makes it untreatable as yet. It was interesting to research, and tangentially explained a lot of other things in life. 

Both these sciences have a long way to go yet, and they will be greatly aided by neuroscience.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

I psychoanalyze people all the time, but I think that's the writer in me.

(01-07-2019, 10:21 AM)SYZ Wrote: [quote="Mark" pid='58909' dateline='1546832280']
I haven't personally though I have seen MFC therapists for my own growth and well being at two points in my life.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "MFC".

I was thinking of a psychotherapist working with marriage, family and children.  I should have said MFT for Marriage and Family Therapist.  I could have sworn there was a C in there for working with Children separately though.

(01-07-2019, 10:21 AM)SYZ Wrote: [quote="Mark" pid='58909' dateline='1546832280']
Quote:I knew this lady Hannah was a therapist of some kind but I hadn't realized she was a psychoanalyst.  So she invited me to join a salon she wants to start up here in Berkeley to discuss things related to her field...

I'm also unsure as to what "join a salon" means.  In Australia, we don't use the term "psychoanalyst".  
We have either psychologists or psychiatrists, and each employs totally different methodologies.

During my twenty years of depressive illness and anxiety therapies, I've consulted both psychiatrists and
psychologists, and relied on both at different times.  Although I have to say I've recently lost faith in most
psychiatrists in favour of psychologists.  I find so-called "talk therapy" far more rewarding, certainly in the
shorter term, but I've also rejected CBT several times due to the doubts of its effectiveness voiced by more
than one therapist.  In the longer term, I've found prescription medication to be the bast solution, and in
fact I haven't seen any pdocs for a couple of years now.

I think it would be what is described here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...msbury-set

Like you, I've only seen a 'psychologist' which in the states we'd usually call a psychotherapist.  Here someone who can write you a prescription would be called a psychiatrist (or 'shrink').

The first time I sought one out only after a prolonged bout of depression at the recommendation of a good friend.  Varda was great and she handed me off to Inga when she moved to Israel for a while.  I'm not sure how long I saw them, perhaps for as long as a year.  It was very good for me and the depression, which had already begun to lift when I started, evaporated completely along the way.  The next time I went was when Lia and I got together and were planning to marry.  Having each left a failing marriage we wanted to see someone just to make sure we were making a good decision.  We decided we were after several sessions but I decided to stay with the therapist to work on some personal issues that were identified.  (Mothers, don't spoil your boys so much .. that doesn't do us as much good as you might think.)
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • SYZ, brewerb

(01-07-2019, 12:13 PM)Dom Wrote: Other than taking some basic classes in college, just out of curiosity, I have only ever delved into that field when I researched malignant narcissism. I found many diverging opinions, but putting them all together was quite helpful in understanding this mental illness. While both psychology and psychiatry recognize the behavior, the constant lying by the subject makes it untreatable as yet. It was interesting to research, and tangentially explained a lot of other things in life. 

Both these sciences have a long way to go yet, and they will be greatly aided by neuroscience.

I wonder who in your life inspired you to do that research into narcissism.  I am on that continuum myself though it isn't so strong that I can't recognize when I'm being triggered.  If you can recognize the rage for what it is, and not give in to the impulse to redress the faults of the person who has tripped the trigger, you can lead a fairly normal life.  It helps if you can laugh at yourself.  In my defense, my mother did think the sun rose and set in my ass; if only everyone could bear in mind just how special I must be.  Big Grin  It probably helps that my wife is a pretty strong person too, and like everyone else she has her own issues.
F. D.

(01-07-2019, 03:53 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 12:13 PM)Dom Wrote: Other than taking some basic classes in college, just out of curiosity, I have only ever delved into that field when I researched malignant narcissism. I found many diverging opinions, but putting them all together was quite helpful in understanding this mental illness. While both psychology and psychiatry recognize the behavior, the constant lying by the subject makes it untreatable as yet. It was interesting to research, and tangentially explained a lot of other things in life. 

I wonder who in your life inspired you to do that research into narcissism.  I am on that continuum myself though it isn't so strong that I can't recognize when I'm being triggered.  If you can recognize the rage for what it is, and not give in to the impulse to redress the faults of the person who has tripped the trigger, you can lead a fairly normal life.  It helps if you can laugh at yourself.  In my defense, my mother did think the sun rose and set in my ass; if only everyone could bear in mind just how special I must be.  Big Grin  It probably helps that my wife is a pretty strong person too, and like everyone else she has her own issues.

I don't talk about HIM. Maybe some day. But he is dead now and the chapter is closed. And no, he was not my husband or lover or parent. 

Yes, it's a continuum. There are narcissists who just like themselves a little more than others do, and then there are full blown narcissists, and then there are malignant narcissists, and then there are psychopaths. We are all born as narcissists. Where on the continuum we end up is influenced by a lot of different things, some innate, some learned. If you, as narcissist, can laugh at yourself, you are only mildly narcissistic. And that can even be a good thing.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • JesseB

(01-07-2019, 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:53 PM)Mark Wrote:

I don't talk about HIM. Maybe some day. But he is dead now and the chapter is closed. And no, he was not my husband or lover or parent. 

Yes, it's a continuum. There are narcissists who just like themselves a little more than others do, and then there are full blown narcissists, and then there are malignant narcissists, and then there are psychopaths. We are all born as narcissists. Where on the continuum we end up is influenced by a lot of different things, some innate, some learned. If you, as narcissist, can laugh at yourself, you are only mildly narcissistic. And that can even be a good thing.

You know that is what I told the therapist Lia and I saw together after working with him a while myself.  That there is a sense in which the opposite of narcissism isn't being nice, it's having a low self valuation.  So I'm happy to have a pulse of self esteem and I can stand up for what I think.
F. D.

(01-07-2019, 04:16 PM)Mark Wrote: You know that is what I told the therapist Lia and I saw together after working with him a while myself.  That there is a sense in which the opposite of narcissism isn't being nice, it's having a low self valuation.  So I'm happy to have a pulse of self esteem and I can stand up for what I think.

The opposite of narcissism is empathy. Obviously.

Low self evaluation comes from someplace entirely different.

The person to whom you were talking is an idiot.

(01-07-2019, 04:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:16 PM)Mark Wrote: You know that is what I told the therapist Lia and I saw together after working with him a while myself.  That there is a sense in which the opposite of narcissism isn't being nice, it's having a low self valuation.  So I'm happy to have a pulse of self esteem and I can stand up for what I think.

The opposite of narcissism is empathy.  Obviously.  

You're wrong.
F. D.

(01-07-2019, 04:29 PM)Mark Wrote: You're wrong.

Nope.

(01-07-2019, 04:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

The opposite of narcissism is empathy.  Obviously.  

The opposite of malignant narcissism is empathy. Malignant narcissists have none. Zero, Zilch.

(01-07-2019, 04:37 PM)Dom Wrote: The opposite of malignant narcissism is empathy. Malignant narcissists have none. Zero, Zilch.

If only I'd known there was such a thing as benign narcissism......

(01-07-2019, 03:38 AM)Mark Wrote: I haven't personally though I have seen MFC therapists for my own growth and well being at two points in my life.  

The reason I ask is I just got talking to a lady whose dog and mine use the same park around the block.  We were at a post holiday party given by another dog friend couple who live near by.  I knew this lady Hannah was a therapist of some kind but I hadn't realized she was a pycholanalyst.  So she invited me to join a salon she wants to start up here in Berkeley to discuss things related to her field.  I used to read quite a bit of Freud, Jung and especially Hillman.  

I've always enjoyed talking with her while hanging out with our pups so I figure, why not?  But I don't know anyone who has ever done pycholanalysis so I'm curious to take to someone who has.  If you have but don't care to talk about it in the open forum, could you please PM me?

Also, anyone know if there is a sub-forum already designated for psychology topics?

Not personally, but have heard plenty of analysis evals during grand rounds. Enough to know I could blame mom and dad for a lot of shit if I wanted to play the injured party.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Parents beware: your children are likely to later blame you for stuff their therapists tell them are your fault.

(01-07-2019, 04:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:37 PM)Dom Wrote: The opposite of malignant narcissism is empathy. Malignant narcissists have none. Zero, Zilch.

There is, some people are just smitten with themselves and preen and parade about, show off and boast .... and pay little attention to others. But, if you catch their attention, they can display empathy. Mostly you can tell the difference by reactions to insults - benign narcissists don't hear them. Malignant narcissists have to disprove them or destroy you, again depending on their place on the continuum.  At least that's what I took away from my research.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • JesseB, Phaedrus

(01-07-2019, 04:54 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

There is, some people are just smitten with themselves and preen and parade about, show off and boast .... and pay little attention to others. But, if you catch their attention, they can display empathy. Mostly you can tell the difference by reactions to insults - benign narcissists don't hear them. Malignant narcissists have to disprove them or destroy you, again depending on their place on the continuum.  At least that's what I took away from my research.

And often even a benign comment = insult. There's a degree of ego preservation paranoia.

(01-07-2019, 05:00 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:54 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: If only I'd known there was such a thing as benign narcissism......

And often even a benign comment = insult. There's a degree of ego preservation paranoia.

Malignant narcissists are a plague. And, they themselves are plagued also. Only if they are high enough on the continuum to be psychopathic are they able to find contentment.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • brewerb, JesseB

(01-07-2019, 05:06 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 05:00 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:54 PM)Dom Wrote: There is, some people are just smitten with themselves and preen and parade about, show off and boast .... and pay little attention to others. But, if you catch their attention, they can display empathy. Mostly you can tell the difference by reactions to insults - benign narcissists don't hear them. Malignant narcissists have to disprove them or destroy you, again depending on their place on the continuum.  At least that's what I took away from my research.

Malignant narcissists are a plague. And, they themselves are plagued also. Only if they are high enough on the continuum to be psychopathic are they able to find contentment.

Panic Panic Panic Weeping

We already have a thread on this:  http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...sam+vaknin
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • brewerb

Prolly no surprise but I have seen many psychologists/therapists in my life.....

What was the question though?
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.

Quote:Also, where does psychology go?

To the bank , with your money. Weeping
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • JesseB

(01-07-2019, 06:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
Quote:Also, where does psychology go?

To the bank , with your money. Weeping

Psychology has some major problems in today's society. Some very bad ideas have taken hold, the extent to which professional's have bought into these ideas is unknown to me.  But they have a worse problem than simply overcharging their clients. 

Maybe ill expand this later when I've woken up properly. 

And yes it was a joke it made me laugh.  That much was understood.
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.