Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ben Carson: "Where are all the transitional fossils?"

I just came across this video at the Christian/science website begun by Francis Collins to try and drag YEC's into at least the 20th century.  They do it more effectively than we do BTW since they are never mean about it.  Anyhow, enjoy:

"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • airportkid, SYZ, Paleophyte, skyking

Was this intellectually challenged "doctor" really, truly a potential candidate for POTUS at some stage?

Carson quote...     Big Grin

"I submit that changes can occur within a species. But is that a sign of evolution, or is it a sign of an
intelligent creator who gave his creatures the ability to adapt to their environment so he wouldn’t have
to start over every 50 years?  You know, that sounds much more intelligent than anything else."

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. He's a creationist who's stated that he believes Darwin came up
with the idea of evolution because of Satan!  He famously suggested that those who believe in evolution
have no basis for their morality, saying:  "Ultimately, if you accept the evolutionary theory, you dismiss
ethics, you don’t have to abide by a set of moral codes, you determine your own conscience based on
your own desires."  

He also states his belief that the Biblical Joseph built the pyramids of Egypt to store grain, and that the
world’s archaeologists are wrong
;  the pyramids were not built for the pharaohs, but Carson in his brilliance,
has divined their true history and purpose.  His brilliant insight is that something huge must have been
built to store grain, and that structure would not just vanish, so perhaps it was the pyramids.

So... hypothetically speaking, would Carson have made an overall better, more competent, more articulate
president than Trump?  Would he have been able to separate his religious perspective, and his pseudoscience
from his political decision making processes?  And why is it, generally, that America has such a poorly educated,
inarticulate, intellectually and ethically bankrupt candidate pool of potential presidents?  And so a young earth
creationist, or a has-been game show host?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dom, JesseB

Remember that debate when Carson was introduced and he just stood there forever without going to his spot? Then trump came out and stood beside him for a few seconds.  The stage guy poked his head out and tried to make him go but he just stood there .

I laughed so fucking hard at that
The following 2 users Like evenheathen's post:
  • Mark, Smercury44

(12-23-2018, 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote: Was this intellectually challenged "doctor" really, truly a potential candidate for POTUS at some stage?

"I submit that changes can occur within a species. But is that a sign of evolution, or is it a sign of an
intelligent creator who gave his creatures the ability to adapt to their environment so he wouldn’t have
to start over every 50 years?  You know, that sounds much more intelligent than anything else."

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. He's a creationist who's stated that he believes Darwin came up
with the idea of evolution because of Satan!  He famously suggested that those who believe in evolution
have no basis for their morality, saying:  "Ultimately, if you accept the evolutionary theory, you dismiss
ethics, you don’t have to abide by a set of moral codes, you determine your own conscience based on
your own desires."  

He also states his belief that the Biblical Joseph built the pyramids of Egypt to store grain, and that the
has divined their true history and purpose.  His brilliant insight is that something huge must have been
built to store grain, and that structure would not just vanish, so perhaps it was the pyramids.

So... hypothetically speaking, would Carson have made an overall better, more competent, more articulate
president than Trump?  Would he have been able to separate his religious perspective, and his pseudoscience
from his political decision making processes?  And why is it, generally, that America has such a poorly educated,
inarticulate, intellectually and ethically bankrupt candidate pool of potential presidents?  And so a young earth

Carson is a garden variety nut job, which are a dime a dozen here in the states.  The good news is that there are Christians who embrace pure, science based evolution and cosmology -and- are trying to help other Christians to do the same.  I actually made a donation to them this year.  Just think of how that could pay off at the ballot box.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Gwaithmir, SYZ

(12-23-2018, 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote: Was this intellectually challenged "doctor" really, truly a potential candidate for POTUS at some stage?

your own desires."  

It's not very nice to pick on people with mental disabilities. >.> That's prolly why Carson has gotten a pass.....

(that and he says the things the republicans like, I mean they don't much care if a person can think, only that they say the things they like. Like abortion bad, god good, free market etc).

If we started a thread about all the stupid shit Carson has said, this forum would run out of room for anything else....

The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 2 users Like JesseB's post:
  • SYZ, Smercury44

Um......Ben Carson's  house.

[Image: carson-11.27.2014-markmakela6.jpg?itok=FxBzJ-P3]

[Image: 10.jpg]

The verbage below his oversized portrait.

[Image: 4928.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma...e210a6326b]

Portrait with his good buddy, Jebus. 

[Image: 1447168931-ben-carson-house.png] 

Hey Ben!....  Double Finger
                                                         T4618
The following 8 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • julep, JesseB, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ, Dānu, Fireball, Smercury44, GirlyMan

(12-24-2018, 03:48 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Um......Ben Carson's  house.

>.>

For some reason this house makes me think it's owned by some billionaire little old lady......

I almost threw up. Bit much for me that's for sure.
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 1 user Likes JesseB's post:
  • Dancefortwo

What a pretentious asshole! Angry
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • SYZ, Dancefortwo, JesseB

(12-24-2018, 03:20 AM)JesseB Wrote: If we started a thread about all the stupid shit Carson has said, this forum would run out of room for anything else....

But I'll bet it would be pretty hilarious.
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • JesseB

your own desires."  

Given the quality of what we currently have as POTUS, he seems eminently qualified.  I am not sure it can get worse than Trump.  

Carson did head a major department at John Hopkins.  So I’d permit him some slack in the ability to work with and listen to intelligent people, his retarded theories notwithstanding.  

The stable genius’ only legitimate achievement before becoming POTUS seems to have been on a reality TV show.  Firing people.  With cold blooded malevolence.

I’d rather have him as POTUS than let his gifted hands murk around in a kid’s brain.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???
The following 2 users Like tomilay's post:
  • SYZ, Mark

The black drapes and the pieces under the portrait make it look like a funeral setup. Everything about him is just creepy.
The following 2 users Like unfogged's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Chas

At least he has taste.

As in "the taste of the asshole of a week dead rhino."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ, Dancefortwo

Not sure what his house has to do with his beliefs, unless you want to go the route of rationally comparing the household to the income derived from leeching money via religious charlatanism.

(12-24-2018, 01:46 PM)Wolfen Wrote: Not sure what his house has to do with his beliefs, unless you want to go the route of rationally comparing the household to the income derived from leeching money via religious charlatanism.
A purpose-built and -designed house is a tour of the inside of the buyer's mind.

Something about camels and needles comes to mind ...
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Deesse23

[Image: tumblr_mtp0vvnjwt1qjsewxo1_1280-jpg.486056]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dom, Mark, Fireball, Dancefortwo, Deesse23

I think that painting would have to go, but otherwise that's a nice house. You could do worse.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

[Image: carson2.jpg]
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Mark, Dancefortwo, Smercury44

(12-24-2018, 04:58 PM)Dom Wrote: [Image: carson2.jpg]

Pity no missionaries went to Africa, ain't it? Whistling
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(12-24-2018, 01:46 PM)Wolfen Wrote: Not sure what his house has to do with his beliefs, unless you want to go the route of rationally comparing the household to the income derived from leeching money via religious charlatanism.

I donno.  Everytime his name comes up  I think about the 4.5 million dollar house he lives in and the huge portrait of himself in the front room with the quote about "humility" under it.   I mean.... Facepalm 

The thing about Carson is that he seems like he's sleepwalking  and unfocused.  It's like he's  narcoleptic and  myopic all at the same time.   I don't know how he had the ability to operate on people's brains.  But somewhere I read that his prowess as a brain surgeon was greatly overstated and imbellished.  Yes, he did save a few lives of children  who were destined to die,  but other well qualified pediatric neursurgeon have done the same. They just didn't brag about it.   But Carson  made a big deal about it and attributed it to god working through his hands.   Then he wrote a book about it and Christians everywhere lapped it up.  It's a bunch of bullshit.   Humility, my foot!!
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • tomilay, Phaedrus

Will somebody please take this clown up to northern Canada, put him at the far end of an ice shelf at the seashore and set his adrift. Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(12-24-2018, 11:32 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

Will somebody please take this clown up to northern Canada, put him at the far end of an ice shelf at the seashore and set his adrift. Dodgy

Hey, polar bears might eat him. Humans are horrible for animals.

(12-24-2018, 11:32 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Will somebody please take this clown up to northern Canada, put him at the far end of an ice shelf at the seashore and set his adrift. Dodgy

I can arrange that down here in Nova Scotia. Save on travel and it'll melt out from under him sooner.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Gwaithmir

The funny part (well one of the funny parts) is that if he looked in a mirror he'd be looking at a transitional being staring right back at him.  What a moron.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • unfogged, Mark, Chas

(12-24-2018, 04:52 PM)Dānu Wrote: I think that painting would have to go, but otherwise that's a nice house.  You could do worse.

Well, it's gaudy but tasteless.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte