Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sometimes I crave belief in God (which one?) and to be part of a local church..

(05-09-2024, 04:47 PM)Dexta Wrote:
(05-09-2024, 03:34 PM)brewerb Wrote: Ever considered joining a non-religious charity organization, one that does activities?

I'm yet to encounter a local charity organisation which is nominally atheist, so no.

The church that I grew up in was pretty awesome. On the liberal end of the Christian spectrum and very friendly. I left because I respected them too much to commit the hypocrisy of pretending to believe as they did and have never felt the urge to go back. The church itself has since been reborn as a pub and is feeling much better now. I get my community fix elsewhere.

As others have suggested, unless you live in the Deep South or the Middle East, there are a lot of good secular community organizations. They'll likely have a few religious members but typically you won't know who they are unless you ask. Pick a hobby or interest and ask the interwebs. Most will have some objective or charitable goal, otherwise the organization is really just "A bunch of old farts grumbling about the weather and shouting at kids to get off the lawn."

Some Unitarian Universalist churches lean strongly toward atheism. What is it about atheist organizations specifically that you think only they can provide?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • brewerb

So do most christian churches, lol.

(05-09-2024, 01:00 PM)Dexta Wrote: ..but I just can't make myself believe religion due to my (perceived) knowledge of its absurdity, irrationality and damaging facets.

Any other posters here wish, in a way, they could be a believer and part of that crew?

No fucking way, José!   Why on earth would any sane
atheist harbour thoughts such as these?

Do you seriously think that joining a group who truly
believe in supernatural entities (gods, angels or devils)
or paranormal phenomena (miracles, parthenogenesis
or resurrection) would be advantageous to your mindset
or within your everyday life?

BTW, if you're having these sorts of thoughts, may I suggest
that you're not an atheist, but rather an agnostic?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(05-10-2024, 07:15 PM)Dānu Wrote: Some Unitarian Universalist churches lean strongly toward atheism.  What is it about atheist organizations specifically that you think only they can provide?

An atheist organization provides a place completely free of religious superstition. It provides people a place to talk to who don't involve superstition into every discussion. It provides a place where I can be free of religion during discussions about "the world in general". It provides a place where I'm not being threatened with eternal and painful damnation. It provides a place where religion is not the explanation of all things.

Back in the 80s, I was tasked with finding telephone sites that were not "official business" (back when it was expensive to call them). One I found was "dial-an-atheist". Of course I didn't call them from my office phone. But I called them as soon as I got home. Happiest day of my life. There was a Solstice Party near me and I attended. I stood in the doorway and looked a dozen people sitting inside talking to each other. I said that I had never met a fellow atheist before and they welcomed me in.

No other organization could have provided that long-desired welcome!

Imagine that you thought there was some kind of all-powerful being, and you thought you were alone in that belief, feeling certain but maybe the only one. And then you met a few others who thought as you did. That's how I felt.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • pattylt

(05-12-2024, 08:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-09-2024, 01:00 PM)Dexta Wrote: ..but I just can't make myself believe religion due to my (perceived) knowledge of its absurdity, irrationality and damaging facets.

Any other posters here wish, in a way, they could be a believer and part of that crew?

No fucking way, José!   Why on earth would any sane
atheist harbour thoughts such as these?

Do you seriously think that joining a group who truly
believe in supernatural entities (gods, angels or devils)
or paranormal phenomena (miracles, parthenogenesis
or resurrection) would be advantageous to your mindset
or within your everyday life?

BTW, if you're having these sorts of thoughts, may I suggest
that you're not an atheist, but rather an agnostic?

Hear hear!

I don't want to believe anything other than that which convinces me; not believe for the sake of believing or for the sake of having something to believe in. That sort of Mulder-like "I want to believe" mindset is completely foreign to me.

And as for that "crew", far from wanting to be part of it, it's looking at it in whatever its forms - religion or woo - that is utterly depressing to me.
The following 2 users Like emjay's post:
  • Cavebear, pattylt