Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mafia Game #1 - Plain old Vanilla mafia

@Joods Perhaps it could be made to work the same way the autocomplete for the @ tags works. Type a letter or two and pick from the list.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • mlmooney89

(12-04-2018, 02:01 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: @Joods Perhaps it could be made to work the same way the autocomplete for the @ tags works. Type a letter or two and pick from the list.

That's something we can look into after this game. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

(12-04-2018, 01:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I was bouncing it about in my head. It's hardly conclusive, that may just be Gulegon's style, but it's the best I have to go on so far. Also he lurked for a fair bit before casting shade on Mathilda. He could have done that while she was on but didn't.

And since he convinced me that we might have to sac a townie via mislynch I might as well make a half-arsed guess rather than no arse at all.

I'm making this post now so that anyone who sees my name at the bottom of AD's front page, or at the bottom of this thread, doesn't mistake my presence here as 'lurking'. It is me making a post in my usually slow 2 pointer-finger typing way. After I hit the Post Reply button, I'll begin typing out my next post. It may take more time than it does others.

I'm going to bed now.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(12-04-2018, 01:11 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: It may be a moot point.

Unvote Unvote

Vote The Gulegon

For casting shade on Mathilda for the "crime" of being helpful when he knew she wasn't around to defend herself. That doesn't help scumhunt because she isn't here to reply. It's simply divisive and that's anti-town.

Spending an inordinate amount of time defending a bad move does town no good, so I have no defense against bringing up her "crime" of being helpful. I would like to bring it to your attention, though, that I did not cast a vote for her lynch after bringing that up, only to then say "I'm going to bed", so as to give a plausible excuse for not showing back up to answer questions about my vote, or lack thereof, after.

Why was it that you voted for Ato's lynch before asking all those questions about why it was important to lynch on day 1, even in the unfortunate event a townie was the one chosen?

(12-04-2018, 01:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I was bouncing it about in my head. It's hardly conclusive, that may just be Gulegon's style, but it's the best I have to go on so far. Also he lurked for a fair bit before casting shade on Mathilda. He could have done that while she was on but didn't.

And since he convinced me that we might have to sac a townie via mislynch I might as well make a half-arsed guess rather than no arse at all.

Now I don't have any hard evidence of this, but I'm fairly certain that the above bold part, from your post, is not true, or at least not completely so. I seem to remember having read Mathilda's "I'm off to bed" post as I was reading through, earlier when I first signed in to read what all everyone had posted.

Just out of curiosity, how long would you say I had been lurking, before making my 1st post about her helpfulness?

That last sentence would be a lynching offense, playing in an AF game. Undecided  Supposedly, the statistics are that in every single game, that does not have some crazy out of the ordinary rules, that goes without a lynch on day 1, scum win more often. So if you go with the numbers, lynching a townie on day1 is always better than lynching no one on day1, for town. Bottom line. Supposedly. I'm assuming this may be your first game, so it's something I know not to nitpick at, because I remember thinking the same way. Especially in games where we knew we had a cop that could investigate during the night to bring info into the next phase, or a doctor who could protect one of us against a night-kill that I didn't want to see lynched on day1 by accident.

It's totally a play-style thing, but I prefer to flop a vote out there while I'm around to change it should better info come about. I don't like leaving a vote out, based on chance and little if any info, to stay there all night while I sleep. For better or ill, it pings me every time I see it.

(12-03-2018, 10:41 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Hm. At AF I was always taught that if you don't lynch day 1 that goes in favor of scum.

Well, if there are still no objections before my next post I'll set a lynch vote on Atothetheist.

Yet, you weren't the one who began that wagon; Mathilda made that commitment. You weren't even the second vote for Ato's lynch.

@EvieTheAvocado Why were you not the first person on that wagon? 

Vote Evie  

Dunno

My fucking typing fingers hurt! hobo

(12-04-2018, 04:14 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: Spending an inordinate amount of time defending a bad move does town no good, so I have no defense against bringing up her "crime" of being helpful. I would like to bring it to your attention, though, that I did not cast a vote for her lynch after bringing that up, only to then say "I'm going to bed", so as to give a plausible excuse for not showing back up to answer questions about my vote, or lack thereof, after.

To be accurate, Mathilda was on for about half an hour between her vote and her sign-off.

Quote:Why was it that you voted for Ato's lynch before asking all those questions about why it was important to lynch on day 1, even in the unfortunate event a townie was the one chosen?

Because I understood that the vote was retractable for nearly another 24 hours and putting somebody on the wagon fast, even for that flimsy excuse, starts the scumhunt. I didn't want to lynch Ato, I wanted to watch how he squirmed. I'm expecting people to return the favour in the not too distant future.

Quote:

Now I don't have any hard evidence of this, but I'm fairly certain that the above bold part, from your post, is not true, or at least not completely so. I seem to remember having read Mathilda's "I'm off to bed" post as I was reading through, earlier when I first signed in to read what all everyone had posted.

Just out of curiosity, how long would you say I had been lurking, before making my 1st post about her helpfulness?

I thought that I saw your name in the "Users browsing this thread" about the time we were fitting Ato for a noose. I'm not certain though or you'd be pinging much more strongly scum.

As I've said, it's a weak read but the best that I have so far. Not that that is saying much.

Off to bed myself. See you all tomorrow.

(12-04-2018, 03:12 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I'm going to bed now.

I'm only now seeing that you posted this in between my 2.  hobo

Unvote

I just don't like leaving it there while I sleep, which is what I plan on doing soon. If you would be kind enough to answer my question from post#80, for the ladies and gentlemen, that'd be swell, Evie.

1. I'm gathering that I'm not supposed to reveal my game role.
2. I think everyone's goal is to convince everyone else that they're town.

Am I allowed to voice who I think is who?
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Mathilda, Aroura, EvieTheAvocado

@Mathilda is mafia.

(12-04-2018, 06:18 AM)Aliza Wrote: @Mathilda is mafia.

She has to be! Think about it, guys. She's mafia.

(12-04-2018, 06:18 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 06:18 AM)Aliza Wrote: @Mathilda is mafia.

She has to be! Think about it, guys. She's mafia.

Oooooh! @Tartarus Sauce is trying to teach me the game....

Thinking @Mathilda is not mafia.... @Smercury44 is mafia.

How the hell are you supposed to figure it out in the beginning?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-03-2018, 11:22 PM)Atothetheist Wrote: First, as far as I understand it, this game has no special roles like the cop/doctor/deputy or whatever. This means that the townies are at a HUGE disadvantage, especially since usually the first night is reserved for those roles specifically to do their thing.  Preferably, that's how I'd like game's to start, with something more concrete than guesswork. However, since guesswork is all we have to go by, and the clock is ticking, this forces the townies to HAVE to lynch on day one in the hopes of getting the mafia. Is my reasoning for a day one lynch reasonable here?

Actually it turns out that the way TFTSNBN was playing it is actually quite unusual. Most mafia games played on other forums are not role madness games where everyone has a role. Most games have far fewer roles, if any at all. One of the reasons for having a completely vanilla game is to help introduce people to the game without making it any more complicated than it needs to be. But it also shows the old TFTSNBN players that you don't need to wait until day 2 before even starting to play the game. Vanilla townies do have a very active role to play.

It has been argued to death before on other forums but day 1 random lynches help town because it generates information.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aroura, EvieTheAvocado, Paleophyte

(12-03-2018, 11:31 PM)Atothetheist Wrote: I don't buy Mathilda's excuse necessarily. It can generate conversation, but so can role revealing (Which is what I did),

We could all try and role reveal in this game and we would be no betterl.

I also wasn't trying to make excuses but explain to the new players what's going on. This is an introduction game.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

(12-03-2018, 11:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote: I didn't accuse you both because you guys seem to be actively trying to figure things out. Mathilda made her vote, justified it and then promptly fucked off.

Yeah, timezones! I went to bed. I don't live in America. I'm several hours ahead. Same with Aroura.
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

(12-03-2018, 11:51 PM)TheGulegon Wrote: Quite helpful, for any newbs or rusty vets, that towering paragraph of super-helpfulness. Unsure Whole lotta help, mmhm. Consider

Vote TheGulegon

How was it not helpful? (I am assuming that you are being sarcastic).

You seem to be using it as an excuse to cast shade. That's a scum move right there.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-03-2018, 11:53 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: @TheGulegon But wouldn't Mathilda also say that as town?

This suggests to me Evie is town. More interested in finding the correct person to lynch than in just accusing.
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-03-2018, 11:59 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: What's everybody's take on the reasoning for "No Lynch" on Day 1 if we don't have any evidence?

We don't have any investigative roles. We'll be in a worse position on day 2. And then on day 3, day 4 .then we'll lose.

(12-04-2018, 12:06 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 11:53 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: @TheGulegon But wouldn't Mathilda also say that as town?

Of course. But I remember wanting to get in a big ol' post full of factual & helpful info, as scum, in a game where we had newbs, over on AF, to showcase how helpful I was being in hopes of redirecting any dirty looks I might get later for being too quiet.

Note that I am a paranoid individual when not playing this game. But then Zip Zoom Boom right at about an hour after the game starts (1 hour ago time-stamp) in a phase that'll last 24 hours, we get a big ol' post of help, then Tildie goes to bed 49 minutes ago. 8 hours of 'free' time? Just questioning.

But she's in bed presumably asleep, so I ain't gonna drop a lynch vote on her, yet. I ain't gonna be awake forever tonight, neether, so there's ^ my thoughts/potential suspicions.

But I'm also admin on this forum keen to get Mafia working successfully.
  • EvieTheAvocado

Hold on, are you saying it is suspicious that I went to bed at bed time on a week day when there's a mafia game on??
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-04-2018, 12:07 AM)Smercury44 Wrote: Yes, I understood the joke. I think you’re implying that initially I knew your “I’m a townie” comment was a joke, then when Mathilda offered it as a possible tell, I jumped on that info? I wasn’t suspicious of you when I voted, and I still don’t really agree with that assessment that the statement was a tell. Like I said just trying to help make sure there was a successful lynch.

See, Smerc gets it. Jump on whatever you can from the very beginning and use it to apply pressure to generate information. It starts off completely arbitrary but over time we really do find things worthwhile considering.
  • Aroura, EvieTheAvocado

(12-04-2018, 12:53 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 12:42 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Ultimately the argument comes down to the odds being even worse if we don't lynch.

As, if we don't lynch ... we'd be back to square one ... but scum would also get a townie for free. We'd learn nothing whatsoever and guarantee ourselves with a loss.

Not quite. The scum's night kill gives us a confirmed townie, same as if we mislynch.

Which is far more useful information if we have first generated information by trying to lynch someone day 1. Then you can ask yourself, were they lynched because they suspected a scum player? Or maybe to throw town off the scent and make someone else look suspicious?
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-04-2018, 01:49 AM)Joods Wrote: Also - we had a sort of tracking system set up on AF. I don't know how it was coded, but we had a game log link for each game and it kept track of who voted, what post number they voted in as well as when they unvoted. At the bottom of the page was a summary with all of the correct votes as well as any guessed votes. It took account of nicknames as well. Such as instead of someone having to type out a long user name, they could type in a nick name. It was really helpful. 

That will take some significant coding effort and we didn't always have it on AF. I do plan on writing our own version sometime.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Joods, mlmooney89, EvieTheAvocado

(12-04-2018, 05:19 AM)Aliza Wrote: 1. I'm gathering that I'm not supposed to reveal my game role.
2. I think everyone's goal is to convince everyone else that they're town.

Am I allowed to voice who I think is who?

Definitely. If you have any ideas as to who might be town and who is scum then it's really helpful for us to hear them. By giving a read list, if we get assassinated at night by mafia then we leave behind useful information about who we suspected and who we trusted.
  • EvieTheAvocado

I'm finally here! Give me a bit to read and catch up.
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado