Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

(08-23-2019, 07:01 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 11:37 PM)grympy Wrote:
(07-28-2019, 11:41 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: "Religion is the opium of the masses."
-Jesus
 Are you sure? I could have sworn it was Shakespeare  Tongue

Huh   I don't think Jesus would have said "Shakespeare is the opium of the masses."   Whistling

Oh dear. We have a saying here in Australia "IT WAS A JOKE, JOYCE!"

"Atheist : One not found in foxholes" Willam Thomas Cummings

(08-24-2019, 11:03 PM)grympy Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 07:01 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 11:37 PM)grympy Wrote:  Are you sure? I could have sworn it was Shakespeare  Tongue

Huh   I don't think Jesus would have said "Shakespeare is the opium of the masses."   Whistling

Oh dear. Oh dear. I'm in Australia.  And yes, I was making a joke, Joyce.
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • grympy

[Image: Dawkins.jpg]
Quis ut Deus?
The following 3 users Like ronedee's post:
  • Mark, Alan V, M.Linoge

(08-24-2019, 11:54 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 11:03 PM)grympy Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 07:01 AM)brunumb Wrote: Huh   I don't think Jesus would have said "Shakespeare is the opium of the masses."   Whistling

Oh dear. Oh dear. I'm in Australia.  And yes, I was making a joke, Joyce.

Oops. A bit hard sometimes not being able to see facial expressions or  hear voice tones.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brunumb

“Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”
― Jon Stewart
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 7 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, mordant, brunumb, grympy, M.Linoge, skyking

It is more a religious quote than quote about religion but it is one of a few utterances made by believers that I agree with:

Whosoever destroys a single soul, the Torah regards as guilty as though he had destroyed an entire world; and whosoever preserves a single soul the Torah ascribes merit to him as though he had preserved an entire world.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • M.Linoge

“Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense.” (Voltaire)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • mordant, grympy

When we entertain, therefore, any suspicion, that a philosophical term is employed without any meaning or idea (as is but too frequent), we need but enquire, from what impression is that supposed idea derived? And if it be impossible to assign any, this will serve to confirm our suspicion.

- David Hume - An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • M.Linoge

“I write nothing for publication, and last of all things should it be on the subject of religion. On the dogmas of religion as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarrelling, fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind. Were I to enter on that arena, I should only add an unit to the number of Bedlamites.

[Letter to Mathew Carey, 11 November 1816]”
― Thomas Jefferson, Letters of Thomas Jefferson

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

“What can you say to a man who tells you he prefers obeying God rather than men, and that as a result he's certain he'll go to heaven if he cuts your throat?”
― Voltaire, Philosophical Dictionary

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir, M.Linoge

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." (Voltaire)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

[Image: 70041792_2363646160398940_72632635398029...e=5DCC0A6D]
The following 5 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V, brunumb, M.Linoge, Gwaithmir

(08-27-2019, 12:19 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: 70041792_2363646160398940_72632635398029...e=5DCC0A6D]

What an inane quote! 

Always thought this guy added nothing to the conversation. 

A Hitch wannabe!
Quis ut Deus?

(08-27-2019, 08:49 PM)ronedee Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 12:19 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: 70041792_2363646160398940_72632635398029...e=5DCC0A6D]

What an inane quote! 

A Hitch wannabe!

I guess you are among that 90% then.
The following 9 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, Phaedrus, mordant, M.Linoge, Chas, Gwaithmir, Cheerful Charlie, TheGentlemanBastard

(08-27-2019, 08:49 PM)ronedee Wrote:

What an inane quote! 

Then you have worked hard not listening to anything he has said.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Chas, Gwaithmir, TheGentlemanBastard

[Image: 69447456_2442472632465264_43030063623815...e=5DCD12BB]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 5 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Fireball, mordant, grympy

[Image: 69890472_2399203370192939_53900914342945...e=5DD4F3C2]
 - A. Ra
  • Gwaithmir, mordant, skyking

“The conclusion seems inescapable that religion is, on almost every conceivable account, directly opposed to the goals of mental health, since it basically consists of masochism, other-directedness, intolerance, refusal to accept uncertainty, unscientific thinking, and self-abasement.” (Dr. Albert Ellis, The Case Against ReligionConsider
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge, Fireball, mordant, grympy, skyking

"A few years ago I was standing around the photocopier in Boston University’s Department of Religion when a visiting professor from Austria offered a passing observation about American undergraduates. They are very religious, he told me, but they know next to nothing about religion. Thanks to compulsory religious education (which in Austria begins in elementary schools), European students can name the twelve apostles and the Seven Deadly Sins, but they wouldn’t be caught dead going to church or synagogue themselves. American students are just the opposite. Here faith without understanding is the standard; here religious ignorance is bliss.”
― Stephen R. Prothero, Religious Literacy

The following 7 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • M.Linoge, grympy, Phaedrus, brunumb, Alan V, mordant, skyking

(08-30-2019, 02:50 PM)M.Linoge Wrote: [Image: 69447456_2442472632465264_43030063623815...e=5DCD12BB]

One of my own aphorism is that  "Without exception, every religion reflects the culture which uses it"

The ten Commandments come from  the Torah, part of the mythology of Judaism. That mythology was  invented/stolen by an illiterate  tribe of  nomadic bronze age goat herders  who lacked  the wit to even invent their own god . His origins are not strictly known ,although it's pretty clear he was NOT invented by people who became the Jews.  

YHWH originally a had a wife called Asherah .  According to recent archaeological  discoveries Asherah  was still being worshipped in Israel as late as 300 bce-- YHWH may have been the official and only god, but ordinary people  continued to worship  Asherah 

"Yahweh[Notes 1] was the national god of the Iron Age kingdoms of Israel (Samaria) and Judah.[3] His exact origins are disputed, although they reach back to the early Iron Age and even the Late Bronze:[4][5] his name may have begun as an epithet of El, head of the Bronze Age Canaanite pantheon,[6] but the earliest plausible mentions of Yahweh are in Egyptian texts that refer to a similar-sounding place name associated with the Shasu nomads of the southern Transjordan.[7] Some scholars believe that Yahweh was originally thought to be one of the seventy sons of El, who later killed his siblings and displaced his father El at the head of the Israelite pantheon.[8]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • M.Linoge

Did you know that proton have mass? I didn't even know they're Catholic.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

[Image: 71494084_2231861803592561_80112476078232...e=5E2FFB09]
 - A. Ra
  • mordant, Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

“Christianity was an epidemic rather than a religion. It appealed to fear, hysteria and ignorance. It spread across the western world, not because it was true, but because humans are gullible and superstitious.” (Colin Wilson)  Consider
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, M.Linoge

[Image: 72528160_2480457695400839_58100790032219...e=5E25AB56]
 - A. Ra
The following 5 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Gwaithmir, brunumb, Phaedrus, mordant, Gawdzilla Sama