Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.” (Carl Sagan)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Chas, Fireball, brunumb, Alan V, Mr Greene

"It is impossible that there should be inhabitants on the opposite side of the Earth, since no such race is recorded by Scripture among the descendants of Adam."
Augustine
[Image: giant%20meteor%202020.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Alan V, Phaedrus, Cheerful Charlie, Gwaithmir, Mr Greene

"Sometimes when I'm faced with an atheist, I am tempted to invite him to the greatest gourmet dinner that one could ever serve, and when we have finished eating that magnificent dinner, to ask him if believes there's a cook." (Ronald Reagan)  Thinking
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, brunumb, skyking

"If the people of this religion are asked about the proof for the soundness of their religion, they flare up, get angry and spill the blood of whoever confronts them with this question. They forbid rational speculation, and strive to kill their adversaries. This is why truth became thoroughly silenced and concealed."

- Muhammad Ibn Zakariya Al-Razi (854 – 925 AD)
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!   Boinnnnnng!  Hiya Kids!  Hiya! Hiya!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant, Phaedrus

"Although I'm an atheist, I don't fear death more than, say, sharing a room in a detox center with a sobbing Rush Limbaugh." (Berkeley Breathed, Cartoonist)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • airportkid, skyking

[Image: 91816177_2571531669757215_20116192638984...e=5EBA68D3]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Fireball, skyking, Gwaithmir

I was not, I was, I am not, I care not

Epitaph on an ancient Roman Grave
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!   Boinnnnnng!  Hiya Kids!  Hiya! Hiya!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, M.Linoge, skyking

“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of paradise and the dread of hell. Life on earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: We stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” (Christopher Hitchens)  Consider
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, M.Linoge, Alan V, skyking, Fireball

"How do I define God? I don't. Divinities have been understood in various ways in the cultural traditions that we know. Take, say, the core of the established religions today: the Bible. It is basically polytheistic, with the warrior God demanding of his chosen people that they not worship the other Gods and destroy those who do -- in an extremely brutal way, in fact. It would be hard to find a more genocidal text in the literary canon, or a more violent and destructive character than the God who was to be worshipped. So that's one definition." (Noam Chomsky)  Consider
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Fireball, Cheerful Charlie, Phaedrus, M.Linoge

I thought I'd lay the SMAC down...

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 3 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, M.Linoge

"I don't believe in angels and I have trouble with the whole God thing. I don't want to say I don't believe in God, but I don't think I do. But I believe in people who do. I have a wee parking angel, it sits on your dashboard and it's supposed to get you a parking space. It's worked so far. But I get a bit bored with people who believe in angels. It's a bit in the aromatherapy field for me - a bit of hocus-pocus." (Billy Connelly)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus

[Image: 97194816_1543324319174131_33102128220964...e=5EDE5C96]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 4 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking, Mr Greene, Phaedrus

"I think there is a serenity that comes from understanding, from being able to solve a mystery. And the bigger the mystery, the greater the serenity. When you think about the diversity, complexity, and beauty of life -- the elegance of the apparent design of life -- it adds up to a colossal mystery. And the solution, Darwin's solution, is quite remarkably simple. My serenity comes from the satisfaction of seeing a really, really neat, elegant explanation that can explain so much." (Richard Dawkins)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • skyking, Phaedrus, Cavebear

(05-10-2020, 04:02 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "I think there is a serenity that comes from understanding, from being able to solve a mystery. And the bigger the mystery, the greater the serenity. When you think about the diversity, complexity, and beauty of life -- the elegance of the apparent design of life -- it adds up to a colossal mystery. And the solution, Darwin's solution, is quite remarkably simple. My serenity comes from the satisfaction of seeing a really, really neat, elegant explanation that can explain so much." (Richard Dawkins)

Hoping this wasn't already used... I can't read every post.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.”
― Stephen Hawking "
Theists disbelieve in all deities but one.  I just disbelieve in one less.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

"I was a secular humanist before I knew the term. I have not believed in God since childhood's end. I believe a belief in any deity is adolescent, shameful and dangerous. How would you feel, surrounded by billions of human beings taking Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy and the stork seriously, and capable of shaming, maiming or murdering in their name? I am embarrassed to live in a world retaining any faith in church, prayer or a celestial creator. I do not believe in Heaven, Hell or a Hereafter; in angels, demons, ghosts, goblins, the Devil, vampires, ghouls, zombies, witches, warlocks, UFOs or other delusions; and in very few mundane individuals--politicians, lawyers, judges, priests, militarists, censors and just plain people. I respect the individual's right to abortion, suicide and euthanasia. I support birth control. I wish to Good that society were rid of smoking, drinking and drugs." (Forrest J. Ackerman)  Consider
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • brunumb, Cavebear, Phaedrus, skyking

(05-11-2020, 01:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "I was a secular humanist before I knew the term. I have not believed in God since childhood's end. I believe a belief in any deity is adolescent, shameful and dangerous. How would you feel, surrounded by billions of human beings taking Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy and the stork seriously, and capable of shaming, maiming or murdering in their name? I am embarrassed to live in a world retaining any faith in church, prayer or a celestial creator. I do not believe in Heaven, Hell or a Hereafter; in angels, demons, ghosts, goblins, the Devil, vampires, ghouls, zombies, witches, warlocks, UFOs or other delusions; and in very few mundane individuals--politicians, lawyers, judges, priests, militarists, censors and just plain people. I respect the individual's right to abortion, suicide and euthanasia. I support birth control. I wish to Good that society were rid of smoking, drinking and drugs." (Forrest J. Ackerman)  Consider

Ackerman nailed it for sure. What actually amazes me is that 85% of the US population doesn't. I live surrounded by superstitious idiots.
Theists disbelieve in all deities but one.  I just disbelieve in one less.

"The hypothesis of God, for instance, gives an incomparably absolute opportunity to understand everything and know absolutely nothing. Give man an extremely simplified system of the world and explain every phenomenon away on the basis of that system. An approach like that doesn't require any knowledge. Just a few memorized formulas plus so-called intuition and so-called common sense."
— Arkady Strugatsky

(to think that that pretentious dimwit Tarkovsky "based" that abomination of pseudo-philosophical religious mumbo-jumbo Stalker on a book by the Strugatskies just boggles the mind. Well, the mind of those who do not presume ""to understand everything", while "knowing nothing")
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • M.Linoge, Dānu, Phaedrus

[Image: 99268712_10157403135208321_8732125845180...e=5EE9E85F]
 - A. Ra
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir, jerry mcmasters, skyking

“You believe in a book that has talking animals, witches, wizards, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, primitive and absurd stories, and you say that we are the ones who need help?” (Mark Twain)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge

[Image: 98200395_1553246838181879_56872863864455...e=5EEAF4D6]
 - A. Ra
  • Fireball, Mr Greene, Gwaithmir, skyking

“By declaring our Prophet infallible and not permitting ourselves to question him, we Muslims had set up a static tyranny. The Prophet Muhammad attempted to legislate every aspect of life. By adhering to his rules of what is permitted and what is forbidden, we Muslims suppressed the freedom to think for ourselves and to act as we chose. We froze the moral outlook of billions of people into the mind-set of the Arab desert in the seventh century. We were not just servants of Allah, we were slaves.” (Ayaan Hirsi Ali)  Consider
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • brunumb, Mr Greene, Vera, skyking, Cheerful Charlie

[Image: 787b9d55d3c00ea255736d6b161eccac.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball

"Of course, it’s easy for us with our 21st Century, materialistic minds to dismiss the Bible as a load of rubbish. But in the actual analysis, that is exactly what the Bible turns out to be---a load of rubbish! It is a book of nonsensical, fantastic stories about talking animals, talking bushes, mythical creatures, people rising from the dead, magic and pseudo-history. It is the creation of ignorant, fallible men, reflecting the prejudices, superstitions, bad theology and fears of the times in which it was written. It promotes slavery, ethnic cleansing, race prejudice, wars of conquest, the subjugation of women, child abuse and genital mutilation. It promotes the worship and celebration of a god who is little more than an egotistical, homicidal, fear-mongering tyrant. It is a book which any reasonable, intellectually honest, and intelligent person should heartily dismiss as bad fiction." (Karlmir Stonewain)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb

“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.” -- Isaac Asimov
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball, brunumb, Gwaithmir

"I honestly think forcing your religion on your children is a form of child abuse. It enforces fear in a form of brainwashing them into not thinking for themselves and not questioning anything." (Gene Blalock)  Consider