Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are you doing right now?

Went to a city 37 miles away to pick up a special bit for my router in order to clean and level the surfaces of some wood I glued up for a tool chest I'm building. Worked a treat. Next are some rabbets and dadoes.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Watching football and drinking slushy spicy bloody Mary's. I think I need to buy some reusable straws. The cocktail is thick enough that it doesn't really flow when you tip the glass. So I'm using a spoon.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I was at Trader Joe's this afternoon, and while I hadn't planned on going to Trader Joe's, much less their liquor store adjacent to the grocery store, I wanted to check their price on sweet potato fries before going to Whole Foods, and it was on the way. I'd been interested in Trader Joe's house brand beers, as they're less expensive. So I stopped in on the way to the grocery store just to price their house brand beers. I found out at that time that Trader Joe's let's you buy single bottles or cans of beer for roughly the same as you'd buy a 6 or 12 pack, only divided the appropriate amount. So I loaded up a can or bottle of basically all the beers they carry, except for the expensive ones and most of the IPAs. I had zeroed out my alcohol budget for the month, but the opportunity was too good to pass up, so I used about $40 of my Saturday plasma donation buying a 20-30 beer sampler case.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Back from a dinner party at Fidel's, a Mexican restaurant in North County. Very uneven flooring and surrounding pavement, making it hard to ambulate (harder because one of my crutcheshas a lot of padding due to my elbow pressure sore). Two chicken tacos and a slice of chocolate cake.
Is this sig thing on?

Time to make the donuts. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Vivekananda

One of my cousins came over with his latest acquisition in his lifelong obsession with crocodilians, a Gavialis gangeticus, the Indian gharial. I asked him how he got a import license and he looked at me with a completely blank expression. (That is not exactly diagnostic with him.)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

Checking my medical claims online and on the phone, scheduling shoulder surgery, making reservations for a camp spot for Thanksgiving weekend.
Visiting with my sister and brother in law.

Nailed up two more rows of ceiling boards in the office. Procrastinating about the dishes in the sink from Thanksgiving dinner, and feeling an urge to just go out somewhere for a change of scenery.

adult things.
Is this sig thing on?

Angry  Made an error in the setup for cutting some wood and fucked it up. We'll see if I can approach it with a calm mind tomorrow or just throw those pieces out use them for something else and make new. SHIT.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

On the light rail headed home. I had a couple of libraries to visit, and Cub Foods had a sale on apple juice and salty snacks -- potato chips, pretzels, store brand nacho chips, etc. Yesterday I left the game at halftime and didn't get done at the bank and the grocery store in time to see the last bits of the game, so I torrented it last night and I'll watch it when I get home. I already know the general result as I was a few blocks away from the stadium right after the game let out, and I could tell from the mood of fans leaving the game. So far I've managed to avoid learning the final score though, so it should still be fun to watch.

Vivekananda

(10-15-2019, 12:50 AM)Fireball Wrote: Angry  Made an error in the setup for cutting some wood and fucked it up. We'll see if I can approach it with a calm mind tomorrow or just throw those pieces out use them for something else and make new. SHIT.
ARGH!
Hope the wood is also closer than 37 miles away Smile
I have my shoulder surgery scheduled for late December. We got out of town early and had a nice drive back home. I'll post up a flurry of pictures later.
I opted to dump the trailer tanks tomorrow, as I won't have to work till Wednesday. Backed the truck out of the way. Doing a load of laundry, mostly the cotton sheets from the RV. We installed the flannel ones for winter.  Snore
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Fireball

(10-15-2019, 02:27 AM)skyking Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 12:50 AM)Fireball Wrote: Angry  Made an error in the setup for cutting some wood and fucked it up. We'll see if I can approach it with a calm mind tomorrow or just throw those pieces out use them for something else and make new. SHIT.
ARGH!
Hope the wood is also closer than 37 miles away Smile
I have my shoulder surgery scheduled for late December. We got out of town early and had a nice drive back home. I'll post up a flurry of pictures later.
I opted to dump the trailer tanks tomorrow, as I won't have to work till Wednesday. Backed the truck out of the way. Doing a load of laundry, mostly the cotton sheets from the RV. We installed the flannel ones for winter.  Snore

The wood is less than 37 miles, thankfully. One was the back of the box which is BB ply. I have more of that. I'll probably just rout out more material and scab in some thin strips in the chest sides. Set up the router and then moved toward, instead of away from the fence for the second pass.  Dodgy iI I had a 12mm router bit, I'd've been home free, since I would have cut it in one pass. The part that is mutilated is hidden when the front lid is on, and hidden when the lid is slid into that compartment. Irritating, nonetheless.

I'm going through closets and getting rid of redundant or unnecessary clothes.  
Last night I pulled out a white dress shirt still in the plastic from the cleaner's shop.
The date on it was March 26, 2007.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • c172

Intarsia.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Trying to figure out whether I am descending into a cold.
Is this sig thing on?

Just got home from more shopping. This weekend Aldi's had these 2 bushel, wheeled hampers with a pop-up handle for $10. I've been needing additional hampers, and had a cheap $3 one from Walmart, but I liked these much better. I only really had money for one, and they had about 20, so I figured I'd come back if I need another one. Yesterday I realized I needed two more, but I was still waiting on the money to square up, as some pending charges and refunds hadn't posted yet. Well this morning they did, and I had money for the two more, so I headed to Aldi's bright and early. I get to the store, and they have three left, stacked one inside the other. So I grab the top two and proceed to make a quick tour to see if there are any markdowns I want to take advantage of. While I'm putting something in the hamper, using it as my cart, I decide to check the bottom one of the two I grabbed to make sure there are no hidden defects. So I grab the handle and pull up, and the handle comes off in my hand. After some brief inspection, I realized it hadn't just come loose but was broken. So I went back and got the other one. Just by sheer luck I got the last two good ones they had. It's possible they might have had more at another store. It's possible they might not. Apparently they sold well. I'm glad I got the good ones and didn't need to worry any further about it.

The person who manages the medicaid waiver which pays for additional services that I need due to handicap and illness is coming at 1:00 to do her annual assessment. Then I'm headed to Brooklyn center with my hand dolly to truck a wide, 3 drawer plastic storage cart a mile from the store to the bus stop, and then across 4-5 different buses and/or trains. Hot spit. Oh well, my annual apartment inspection is tomorrow, and the only remaining thing that has to be done is to mop the kitchen floor. I'm good.

Vivekananda

waiting for a phone call for a retirement job that I may miss, because of the shoulder surgery. Dammit I am going to get fixed!!
I made the surgery date and will be down till Aug 1. take me or leave me.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Dānu

EDIT lol they called Big Grin
going to meet on Friday, tentatively.

Relaxing with a jar of pickled herring, a beer, and the Bucs / Panthers game. There was a note stuck in my door that my apartment inspection isn't until Thursday or Friday, so I don't have to do fuckall about it tonight.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Fireball

Discovering what a great deal Google Drive storage is. I can upgrade to 100 GB of cloud storage for $2/mos., or 200 GB for $3/mos. I need to see what I would use that kind of cloud storage for. It would make a nice backup for smaller, critical file stores. The other side of the coin is that Backblaze offers unlimited backup for $5/mos. $6/mos. It's just that the things I would use unlimited backup to store are copyrighted content, and that use opens up some liability issues. Google offers a free two months (16%) if you pay in annual installments. I don't know about Backblaze. I'm planning to drop my internet speed about 50-100 mbs to 6 mbs, so if I do Backblaze, I'd probably best set it up while I have the larger pipe.

ETA: Backblaze does offer the annual installment discount, and also offers an even better two year plan for $110. Apparently Backblaze increased the monthly rate from $5 to $6 in the past year. It might be good to both lock in a two year rate and get the discount.

Vivekananda

Taking lunch in my truck cab. The company is trying to find me work, and this morning I was threading the needle with some iron workers. I will miss that part of the job.
[Image: IMG-20191016-114201.jpg] 
 I was also standing out in the rain looking up in it like a turkey trying to drown. Not going to miss that part!!

My new homemaker just left. He got a lot done in a short time. I'm glad to have homemaking services, but having someone I don't know very well in my home, doing my cleaning, makes me somewhat anxious and is a bit emotionally draining. But the help is essential. Fortunately, he won't need to be here for the full four hours every week.

Vivekananda

Saying bon nuit to our house guest and hoping like hell she doesn’t expect more French than that from me.
god, ugh

About a month ago, I had a filling replaced in a back-top molar since a piece of it had fallen out.

On Monday, when I was eating my Corn Chex for breakfast, the same tooth cracked. I couldn't chew on that side without pain.

Yesterday I went back to my dentist, who fished out the broken piece and told me the tooth now couldn't be salvaged since the root was exposed. She wrote a recommendation for me to have an oral surgeon remove it.

On top of that I got the chills yesterday, which meant the tooth had become infected. My dentist also wrote a prescription for penicillin.

So today I have to make an appointment to get my molar pulled. The temporary filling will only last a couple weeks.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • brewerb