Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are you doing right now?

Looking over the instructions for assembling my new futon sofa frame. They originally estimated delivery of the corresponding futon for the end of June. Now they're saying it will arrive on Monday. If there are any problems with the frame, I need to know before that futon ships, which means I need to assemble and check the frame ASAP.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I don't know that I'm going to get this thing put together tonight. I've been up an hour and a half, and all I've managed so far is to take the parts out of the box. Maybe I need a night's sleep. I have no energy this time of night.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Okay, I was a bit nonplussed to find that the blister-pack which held all the nuts and bolts had separated, and they were all rolling around loose in a cardboard box, but after inventory, it appears that I have all the parts. I panicked for a few minutes when I only found 4 large nuts, and the number next to them in the instructions was '6', but that was the part number, not the quantity of them. There's only supposed to be four, and there's an extra one in the bag of "extras" that they included. I think that's as far as I'll take it tonight.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear

Waking up with my first cup of coffee.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Fireball

(05-26-2020, 07:02 AM)Dānu Wrote: Okay, I was a bit nonplussed to find that the blister-pack which held all the nuts and bolts had separated, and they were all rolling around loose in a cardboard box, but after inventory, it appears that I have all the parts.  I panicked for a few minutes when I only found 4 large nuts, and the number next to them in the instructions was '6', but that was the part number, not the quantity of them.  There's only supposed to be four, and there's an extra one in the bag of "extras" that they included.  I think that's as far as I'll take it tonight.

Having just gone through assembling a wheeled dolly for moving a trailer around, I understand.  I found it helpful to lay the bolts and washers and nuts in numerical order according to the parts list.  After that, dang it was easy.  Well, after I had to remove the trailer ball that I first assumed was an obvious first step...  LOL!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dānu

Drinking coffee and listening to Mazzy Star. I donate plasma today, but no hurry about that. Between now and then I need to assemble this futon sofa frame.

Vivekananda

My trial membership to Netflix ended today and I didn't realize it. Oops. There goes $14. Though with my Playon membership, I can hoark down whatever of their content I want to watch to my hard disk for that $14. I guess that's okay. I've still got a few episodes of Tiger King to go.

Vivekananda

There's a certain perverse irony to giving people an extra $1200 and then telling them to avoid going to the store if at all possible.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V

Riding in the back on the way to Snoqualmie Falls for an outing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Falls

Then quilt store and Costco.

It's expected to be raining when I head home tonight. I need to pick up bottled water. I could do it at another time, but this is on the way home, so doing that would require a second trip.

Vivekananda

Whoops. I thought that I'd ordered 10" paper plates from Walmart, so I bought 150 9" paper plates at Fleet Farm yesterday. I just checked my email and Wal-Mart has delivered 300 9" plates today. Oh well, they'll get used, but damn that's a lot of paper plates.

Vivekananda

Just finished demolishing a brick mailbox and 50 square feet of brick work on the parkway, to complete the landscaping we started two years ago. The wife finally decided what she wanted for a mailbox. Decisions, decisions! I swung an 8 pound maul and used a 5 foot buzzard bar; the son used a jackhammer. Man, I am too old for this. I'm already hurting. Sad to say, we need to rent a dumpster to load it into. That's going to be kettle-bell like work and shovels for about 2 hours. Back when I was a Boy Scout Leader I'd pay some of the older boys to do this work. They'd do it tout-suite.  Thumbs Up
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • skyking

Time to kill a few pesky brain cells.

Vivekananda

I hear that old shizzle, fireball. i am taking a break from doing the rear brakes on the truck. One side done. I am temping them on there with a cheap set of pads for the weekend. I have a full set of power stop replacements on the way, but my wife wants to go to the beach.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Fireball

Taking meds and making my first cup of coffee.  Kettle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(05-24-2020, 09:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Really feeling groggy after a late afternoon nap. Drinking strong coffee seems to help.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I've started having a cup of coffee with supper so I can stay awake to 8 or 9 pm. I don't know how you old guys do it.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

Somewhat nonplussed that neither of my computer monitors have VESA mounts. And there's a dual monitor stand on Amazon for $20. I could use velcro, but best just to get over it.

I'm up early today. Usually when I come home of an evening, I take a 2 hour nap, then get up, putz around for a while, eat dinner, and take my pills. Last night I got home, had a couple drinks, ate some ramen and took my pills and went to bed. I didn't set an alarm, so I didn't wake up until morning.

Vivekananda

If anybody needs a VPN, the popular Private Internet Access VPN (PIA) has 14 months for $39.95. See the link below at TechBargains.com.

https://www.techbargains.com/deals/priva...pn-service

Vivekananda

I started to panic because I found what I thought were liver spots on my arm. It turns out that I was just dirty.

Vivekananda

(05-27-2020, 12:31 PM)Dānu Wrote: I started to panic because I found what I thought were liver spots on my arm.  It turns out that I was just dirty.

Age spots are a cause for panic?   Sadcryface

(05-27-2020, 12:49 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 12:31 PM)Dānu Wrote: I started to panic because I found what I thought were liver spots on my arm.  It turns out that I was just dirty.

Age spots are a cause for panic?   Sadcryface

You're obviously not a woman. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Alan V, skyking

(05-27-2020, 11:35 AM)Dānu Wrote: Somewhat nonplussed that neither of my computer monitors have VESA mounts.  And there's a dual monitor stand on Amazon for $20.  I could use velcro, but best just to get over it.

I'm up early today.  Usually when I come home of an evening, I take a 2 hour nap, then get up, putz around for a while, eat dinner, and take my pills.  Last night I got home, had a couple drinks, ate some ramen and took my pills and went to bed.  I didn't set an alarm, so I didn't wake up until morning.
No vesa is just bizarre  hobo

I bought myself an 18" oscillating fan on the way home yesterday. It's absolute bliss. I was surprised at the difference in price between the 16" and the 18". I was initially thinking I'd save $10 by going with the 16", but that seemed rather shortsighted. You can hardly add two inches on later if you need a more powerful fan.

Vivekananda

"We're in some real pretty shit now!" Minneapolis mayor calls for officer involved in George Floyd death to be charged.

Vivekananda

So, what's with Trump and masks ?

I propose (it's so obvious) that masks remind him of, and are a symbol TO HIM, of his failure and total incompetence.
That we even need masks are a *symbol* of his complete failure in his dealing with a crisis.
It's funny that a dude who was supposed to be a "business leader" (LOL) had no clue about how to even go about Crisis Management,
which is a rather common topic in "Leadership" these days. He can't wear one ... if he did it would mean he accepts his failures.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball