Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

(01-07-2019, 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 01:59 AM)Mark Wrote: No doubt, but for some of us letting one's sex drive take the wheel once in a while is a pretty good feeling too.

Naw, you don't need the hormonal drive (the one that makes you do stupid shit) to enjoy sex. Hormones or not, the pleasurable, physical release of orgasm is always going to be a good thing. For example, a massage is always a good thing and most of us love it, but we don't run through the world constantly eyeing people to see if they could give good massages or not. Losing the hormones doesn't take away from the fun, it just makes it more up to you when to have it.

We must be using those words differently.  Well I wasn't thinking that by giving my sex drive the wheel that I would be setting it loose on the neighborhood.  I'm just talking about being spontaneous and expressive with the wifey.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, WhiskeyDebates

(01-07-2019, 10:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote: The problem with children is that they're so immature.

Yeah... I know. I was very young when I was born.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Fireball

(01-07-2019, 03:05 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 01:59 AM)Mark Wrote: No doubt, but for some of us letting one's sex drive take the wheel once in a while is a pretty good feeling too.

Naw, you don't need the hormonal drive (the one that makes you do stupid shit) to enjoy sex. Hormones or not, the pleasurable, physical release of orgasm is always going to be a good thing. For example, a massage is always a good thing and most of us love it, but we don't run through the world constantly eyeing people to see if they could give good massages or not. Losing the hormones doesn't take away from the fun, it just makes it more up to you when to have it.

We must be using those words differently.  Well I wasn't thinking that by giving my sex drive the wheel that I would be setting it loose on the neighborhood.  I'm just talking about being spontaneous and expressive with the wifey.

I'm talking about the overload of hormones that makes teens pine away because they haven't had sex, that causes folks to wag their wiener at someone without invitation, that causes folks to "fall in love" and do stupid, idiotic things to please someone they find sexy, and so on.

It's not the satisfaction of physical release I am talking about, but the hormonally steered obsession with it that causes people to waste a lot of their best years. Orgasms are great. Intimacy is great. They don't automatically need to occur at the same time. No one's self value should depend on attracting as many sexual partners as possible. No ones happiness should be determined by the ability to attract sexual partners. 

Part of the problem is the evolutionary drive to procreate at all cost, and part of it is cultural glorification of sex.

Being post menopausal is such a wonderful thing, it's liberating. The absence of hormones in no way diminishes pleasure, it simply frees you to make good choices.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Vera, skyking

(01-07-2019, 03:40 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 10:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote: The problem with children is that they're so immature.

Yeah... I know.  I was very young when I was born.

Really? How do you know? I don't remember it myself.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Fireball

(01-07-2019, 03:51 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:05 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote: Naw, you don't need the hormonal drive (the one that makes you do stupid shit) to enjoy sex. Hormones or not, the pleasurable, physical release of orgasm is always going to be a good thing. For example, a massage is always a good thing and most of us love it, but we don't run through the world constantly eyeing people to see if they could give good massages or not. Losing the hormones doesn't take away from the fun, it just makes it more up to you when to have it.

I'm talking about the overload of hormones that makes teens pine away because they haven't had sex, that causes folks to wag their wiener at someone without invitation, that causes folks to "fall in love" and do stupid, idiotic things to please someone they find sexy, and so on.

It's not the satisfaction of physical release I am talking about, but the hormonally steered obsession with it that causes people to waste a lot of their best years. Orgasms are great. Intimacy is great. They don't automatically need to occur at the same time. No one's self value should depend on attracting as many sexual partners as possible. No ones happiness should be determined by the ability to attract sexual partners. 

Part of the problem is the evolutionary drive to procreate at all cost, and part of it is cultural glorification of sex.

Being post menopausal is such a wonderful thing, it's liberating. The absence of hormones in no way diminishes pleasure, it simply frees you to make good choices.

I agree with you.  Intimacy and friendship need not be linked to sex, and while it is desirable to have a network of friends one does not need a network of sexual intimates.  Or at least I don't, I'm happily monogamous myself.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dom

(01-07-2019, 03:52 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:40 PM)SYZ Wrote:

Yeah... I know.  I was very young when I was born.

Really? How do you know? I don't remember it myself.

Well you probably didn't even know SYZ back then.
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • SYZ, Smercury44, WhiskeyDebates

(01-07-2019, 04:00 PM)Mark Wrote: I agree with you. Intimacy and friendship need not be linked to sex......

Indeed, I've sexed plenty of strangers.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Mark, Fireball

(11-07-2018, 10:07 PM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 09:56 PM)Dr H Wrote: There are plenty of kids in the world who don't have any adults they can rely on.

I’m gonna flip this on its head and argue that there are not enough adults in this world...

Actually, there are far too many adults in the world.

What we lack are responsible, reliable adults.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage

(01-06-2019, 08:20 PM)Mark Wrote: Since this dead thread is well woke now can I just say what outrages me far more than declining to have kids is the sense of entitlement to go ahead and have them with little clue how one will support them or what they will need to be well adjusted.  Pretty weird if the reason given is "well that's what one does at our age".

Raising kids doesn't just come naturally.  Winding up pregnant can, but raising kids in a way that is good for them is not a natural act.

The y-donor was not fit to be a parent, but Mom got knocked up. He married her. Then he ran off after I was born. She tracked him down. Neither adult had an eighth grade education, so our opportunities were limited. Somehow we made it to adulthood.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Kids are overrated.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Smercury44, SYZ, Vosur

People are overrated.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 1 user Likes Dr H's post:
  • Alan V

I've never thought about this or judged peoples decisions about whether they have children or not, but the results of this study, I guess it makes sense biologically.