Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

(11-08-2018, 08:49 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I love kids.   I had a fabulous childhood so having kids was always a part of my life-plans.  If I somehow couldn't have children or wasn't able to adopt I think I'd have suffered emotionally and mentally.  I'm extremely maternal.    Children have enriched my life like nothing else has.  They've added a depth that I never could have imagined possible.  I look at the world differently because of  my children.    Having children added a mind language  that I don't think people without children can understand or translate.   It's like  chemicals in the brain have been permanently changed but in a wonderful way.   Even with turbulant teen years I'd still have children if I had it to do over again.    

And children know I love them too.  A couple of weeks ago 4 or 5 elementary school kids came to the door selling cookie dough for the local school and of course I bought two boxes of the stuff.  Thumbs Up   I was leaning up against the door jam  joking with them and asking them what they were going to be for Halloween and why they wanted to be that character and pretty soon stories were being told about each kids costume and character.  They were silly and goofy, full of imagination and  excess energy.    It was a great.

Some of us have the DNA for it and some of us don't. I never heard a ticking clock. But starting with when I was a toddler, I was drawn to animals. All I ever wanted to mother is dogs and cats. It's all about how we were wired. It's not that I don't like kids - I do, and I relate well with them. Having them though is a life consuming task, at no time was I ready for that kind of commitment.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Smercury44, skyking

I actually don't like kids. Don't get me wrong, though. I love the children in my family and would put myself in the line of fire to save them... but I generally keep them at a distance until they're old enough to hold their own in a mature conversation.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Smercury44, vulcanlogician, Mark, Fireball

(11-08-2018, 06:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 05:59 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: Being second youngest in a family of eleven children, most of whom retain their Catholicism, I've been an uncle since I was eight...

Wait... hold on.

You're a guy??

Yeppers... Viv's profile says so.     Thumbs Up

Vivian Darkbloom is the alter ego of Alison DiLaurentis and later, Charlotte DiLaurentis. Alison used to dress up as Vivian to
spy on "A", while Charlotte used the Vivian alias to escape from the police by going to France after killing Darren Wilden.

—Who woulda known?  Not me LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Kaneda

(11-09-2018, 12:47 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 05:59 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: Being second youngest in a family of eleven children, most of whom retain their Catholicism, I've been an uncle since I was eight...

Wait... hold on.

You're a guy??

Vivian Darkbloom is the alter ego of Alison DiLaurentis and later, Charlotte DiLaurentis. Alison used to dress up as Vivian to
spy on "A", while Charlotte used the Vivian alias to escape from the police by going to France after killing Darren Wilden.

Weird, I could have sworn I’d seen a picture of Vivian Darkbloom on the other forum, and he was a she.

Unless I dreamt it... or the woman in the photo was just one of his personas.

Undecided
You know, living in hell is a lot more boring than I thought it would be.

Wait... hold on.

You're a guy??

Me neither. One of the writers must be a fan of Vladimir Nabokov, too.

Think I am Lord Voldemort.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • julep

(11-09-2018, 12:56 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 06:06 PM)Aliza Wrote: Wait... hold on.

You're a guy??

Weird, I could have sworn I’d seen a picture of Vivian Darkbloom on the other forum, and he was a she.

Undecided

A picture? Other than my avatar? It's the only one I've used, I'm fairly certain.

(11-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 12:56 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 12:47 AM)SYZ Wrote: Yeppers... Viv's profile says so.     Thumbs Up

Undecided

A picture? Other than my avatar? It's the only one I've used, I'm fairly certain.

I’m thinking of a photo of a young mom who liked to cosplay.

She may have opened an account at that other place around the same time you did. Perhaps someone can help me out with this one? Consider

(11-09-2018, 01:33 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 12:56 AM)Kaneda Wrote: Weird, I could have sworn I’d seen a picture of Vivian Darkbloom on the other forum, and he was a she.

Undecided

She may have opened an account at that other place around the same time you did. Perhaps someone can help me out with this one? Consider

Doesn't ring a bell. Was she cute, or what?

(11-09-2018, 01:43 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:33 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: A picture? Other than my avatar? It's the only one I've used, I'm fairly certain.

Yeah, she looked good for her age, esp. having just had a kid.

(11-09-2018, 01:49 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:43 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:33 AM)Kaneda Wrote: I’m thinking of a photo of a young mom who liked to cosplay.

Hobbit Girl?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Smercury44

That’s who it sounded like to me too, Aliza.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”

(11-09-2018, 01:57 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:49 AM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:43 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: Doesn't ring a bell. Was she cute, or what?

Hobbit Girl?

Nope, it wasn’t Hobbit Girl.

This person signed on in the last year. Wasn’t one of the more prolific posters, come to think of it. Consider

(11-08-2018, 09:05 PM)Aliza Wrote: I actually don't like kids. Don't get me wrong, though. I love the children in my family and would put myself in the line of fire to save them... but I generally keep them at a distance until they're old enough to hold their own in a mature conversation.

Don't sweat it ... I'm a parent and don't like most other kids -- and even my own makes me think reproduction is a buncha horseshit, sometimes.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Aliza

(11-08-2018, 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:16 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Can you imagine what the electoral map will look like when 90% of the country is living along the northern border because of Climate Change?

Canada would be the one building a wall.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

We've already started.  Big Grin

And the U.S. is going to pay for it.

We don't need a wall, we just need a filter. Put signs up along the border that tells people crossing the border that "tax freedom day" in Canada is June 10th, and in America it's around April 19th. That'll spread the wheat from the chaff.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

(11-08-2018, 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:16 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Can you imagine what the electoral map will look like when 90% of the country is living along the northern border because of Climate Change?

Canada would be the one building a wall.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

We've already started.  Big Grin

And the U.S. is going to pay for it.

Hey, we're just coming to do those jobs that Canadians don't want.

Somebody's got to maintain the ice in the curling rinks.

Big Grin
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 4 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Smercury44, Aliza, Astreja, Fireball

We chose not to have children, and I have witnessed that outrage. Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea and think we are crazy.
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • SYZ, Dom

Like a couple others I will also take what may be an unpopular view but it is how I truly feel.  Like anyone I have experienced pain, heartbreak, difficulty, frustration, loss...but I experience joy, laughter, awe, creativity, surprise, hell, sometimes, rarely, even the pleasure of the company of you guys ( Smile ).  Now that my clock is running down and the finish line is near, I think maybe the most valuable thing I could have done was give a couple others the opportunity to experience the same, whether it is more of the good stuff than the bad is up to them (kind of; one's a special case.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

When I was a kid I had no interest at all in having children, or even being married.  Some years later, in a relationship, I thought that maybe two children would be about right for me.  After my daughter was born, raising her and providing for the family's needs properly was a heck of a lot of work, and I abandoned the idea of having a second child.

My daughter is now in her 30s and has no interest in having children, and I support her and other childless individuals unconditionally.

When people have more than, say, three or four children I start to feel very uncomfortable.  The noise alone from that many people in the house would give me a headache, and IMO it would spread the family resources (both time and $$$) too thin and make it difficult to support special projects like music lessons, sports, or school trips overseas.
The following 7 users Like Astreja's post:
  • Dom, Aliza, jerry mcmasters, Smercury44, Gwaithmir, Thumpalumpacus, julep

More like immorally outraged ... sanctimonious pricks.

I only ever get asked about kids when someone is filling out a form, VA people for the most part.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

One of the biggest reasons why I was financially well off enough to be able to retire at 53 was because I never married and had kids. Sun
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom, Alan V, julep, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus

This is the thread for posting your newborn's cute ass pics, right?   Tongue

Number three just recently happened, and I couldn't be happier.  But then again I do think about what life would be like if I didn't have such a responsibility to manage, and that would be fun and rewarding as well I imagine.

I dunno, I just always knew that I'd have kids.  I've always wanted it, even as jealous as I am of those who don't, I am sad at what their lives are missing that mine has.  But I'd never phrase it that way to anyone to their face, that's just my own personal opinion.

I think it's great if people don't have kids and get to enjoy their own lives as they see fit without the distraction or responsibility of kids.  I see no reason for someone to feel that other's lives are better or worse for having or not having children, to each their own.  You do you.

As a parent, I completely understand the turnoff of having kids around.  I live it, every day, and agree that it is noisy, messy, disgusting at times, annoying, scary, infuriating, unnecessary, and exhausting.

But I get to spend my life with these people, and they are hands down the best people I've ever met, because they are a part of me, for better or for worse.  Luckily it's been mostly better so far, we'll see what the future holds, that's the game called life I guess.  We all play it as we see fit.   Winking
The following 6 users Like evenheathen's post:
  • Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien, Full Circle, Dom, Vera

Tongue

[Image: life-without-children.jpg]
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 7 users Like Full Circle's post:
  • Smercury44, Dom, Fireball, Gwaithmir, Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama

(01-06-2019, 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Tongue

[Image: life-without-children.jpg]

True story Deadpan Coffee Drinker
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Holy necropost batman!
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.