Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

Overall I’m glad I had a kid, but I’m also glad that our attempts to provide him with a sibling failed.

I totally respect people who choose not to have kids. I think some of the shaming is Driven by resentment. Parenthood is exhausting and expensive and full of opportunity costs, and it’s unfortunately very easy to envy childless people and comfort yourself by awarding yourself morality points. (Comforting, but not justifiable...just to be clear)

I didn’t reproduce until my 30s, so I got a bunch of the tut-tutting too.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Alan V, Smercury44

I can't ever remember being asked if I had kids. (They were probably ardently hoping I didn't.)
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

(11-07-2018, 01:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I can't ever remember being asked if I had kids. (They were probably ardently hoping I didn't.)

The problem comes when they feel compelled to ask if you have your own kids.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Vivian Darkbloom

(11-07-2018, 02:02 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 01:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I can't ever remember being asked if I had kids. (They were probably ardently hoping I didn't.)

The problem comes when they feel compelled to ask if you have your own kids.

I only ever had loaners. If Sharon's mom hadn't stolen them while I was at sea things might have been different.

Kids were never part of my plan, even when I was at my most religious. Of course, there seemed to be an unspoken consensus that I would be the fervent single woman who dedicated her life to the church. You know, the one who was the first to volunteer to assist with whatever church function was going on.

Once I became an atheist, I realized that me becoming a parent would also be irresponsible. I was hardly making enough money to take care of myself, much less a small human who would be totally dependent on me. Besides, it is not like I had any decent role models on how to be a parent.
Married to Gawdzilla Sama...and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
The following 5 users Like Boss Lady's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Mathilda, Vera, Szuchow, Smercury44

Just playing devil’s advocate again; this discussion has me convinced that the Christian right is going outbreed us by leaps and bounds this next generation.

Get ready for Donald Trump Jr. 2040. I hope you can all handle another 30 years of Republican rule.
You know, living in hell is a lot more boring than I thought it would be.
The following 1 user Likes Kaneda's post:
  • Smercury44

(11-07-2018, 04:52 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Just playing devil’s advocate again; this discussion has me convinced that the Christian right is going outbreed us by leaps and bounds this next generation.

Get ready for Donald Trump Jr. 2040. I hope you can all handle another 30 years of Republican rule.

I think the country will long have gone to hell by then.
[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Smercury44

(11-07-2018, 05:09 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 04:52 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Just playing devil’s advocate again; this discussion has me convinced that the Christian right is going outbreed us by leaps and bounds this next generation.

I think the country will long have gone to hell by then.

Can you imagine what the electoral map will look like when 90% of the country is living along the northern border because of Climate Change?
  • Dom

Younger people in the U.S. are much more left-leaning than their elders, so I see the reverse trend from you.  The right will have to move back toward the center to attract enough votes to be viable into the future.  

Trump's presidency is the old man on the lawn shaking his fist at the inevitable shifting demographics.   Cranky
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Full Circle, Smercury44, Fireball

(11-07-2018, 04:20 PM)Boss Lady Wrote: Once I became an atheist, I realized that me becoming a parent would also be irresponsible. I was hardly making enough money to take care of myself, much less a small human who would be totally dependent on me. Besides, it is not like I had any decent role models on how to be a parent.

Yeah I often thought that I couldn't afford to have children even if I had wanted them and was able to.

(11-07-2018, 05:16 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Can you imagine what the electoral map will look like when 90% of the country is living along the northern border because of Climate Change?

Canada would be the one building a wall.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 3 users Like Full Circle's post:
  • Alan V, Mark, Fireball

(11-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:16 PM)Kaneda Wrote: Can you imagine what the electoral map will look like when 90% of the country is living along the northern border because of Climate Change?

With the permafrost melting they'll be going south looking for dry land. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Full Circle

But would it demand that America pays for it?

If I was the Canadian PM I'd probably start making those demands right now just for a laugh.

I read one novel imagining the future of climate change in which Americans invaded across Canada's southern border.

(11-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: With the permafrost melting they'll be going south looking for dry land.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Actually, so many far northern Canadian lakes rest on permafrost that many could disappear into the ground if the permafrost melted.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Kaneda

(11-07-2018, 05:51 PM)Mathilda Wrote:

But would it demand that America pays for it?

If I was the Canadian PM I'd probably start making those demands right now just for a laugh.

Hold on a sec, I know how this show’s going to end:

The unfettered destruction of habitable territory due to human stupidity is going to continue full-stop over the next couple decades, creating a mounting refugee crisis along the Southern Canadian border not unlike what we’re seeing in much of Europe.

The ensuing backlash in Canada from an increasingly vapid, maginalized white majority will pave the way for another Reactionary Psychopath to scheme his way into power by tapping into popular enthusiasm and national jigonism, and then proceed to sell out his base and burn down the rest of the country the moment he gets into office.

It’s going to be awesome, guys.
  • Full Circle

(11-07-2018, 06:04 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: With the permafrost melting they'll be going south looking for dry land.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Actually, so many far northern Canadian lakes rest on permafrost that many could disappear into the ground if the permafrost melted.

I’m assuming that’s bad, right?

I decided more than 50 years ago (along with my then wife) not to have kids. 

I've not once regretted that decision, and to ensure it I had a vasectomy at a very young age that the
majority of GPs would (legally) refuse to do it.  Abortion was also illegal here in Australia at that time.

In the early days, I (we) weren't necessarily harangued by parents or relatives, but the conservative
oldies in the family often said "when are we gonna hear the patter of tiny feet?" or bullshit like that.

Generally speaking, I don't like babies or little kids or teenagers.  At various times they're dirty and
smelly, crapping and vomiting everywhere (even as teens LOL), they're noisy and rude, and selfish and
greedy, materialistic and lazy, and don't have any respect for their elders or due authority.

And I agree with someone who reckoned their friends with kids were jealous of our childless status as
it let us do what we liked, when we liked, and spend all of our earnings on just the two of us.  We didn't
have the hassle of baby-sitters, food, clothing and school expenses, or being tied to some arsewipe of a
timetable dictated to us by a couple of whinging, ungrateful ankle-biters.

Would I ever change my mind, or did I ever rethink my position?  No fucking way José.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Full Circle, Smercury44, Gwaithmir

(11-07-2018, 06:27 PM)Kaneda Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 06:04 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: Actually, so many far northern Canadian lakes rest on permafrost that many could disappear into the ground if the permafrost melted.

I’m assuming that’s bad, right?

Rapid changes are always challenging and disruptive for natural systems, which are finely tuned to existing conditions.  Think of all the migrating flocks of birds which summer in northern Canada, and their dependence on those lakes.

As far as people are concerned, the melting permafrost will be much more harmful than the disappearing lakes, since the permafrost will release carbon dioxide and methane, and become a positive feedback for global warming.

(11-07-2018, 06:34 PM)SYZ Wrote: Generally speaking, I don't like babies or little kids or teenagers.  At various times they're dirty and
smelly, crapping and vomiting everywhere (even as teens LOL), they're noisy and rude, and selfish and
greedy, materialistic and lazy, and don't have any respect for their elders or due authority.

We didn't have the hassle of baby-sitters, food, clothing and school expenses, or being tied to some 
arsewipe of a timetable dictated to us by a couple of whinging,  ungrateful ankle-biters.

Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel....
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • SYZ, Fireball

(11-07-2018, 06:34 PM)SYZ Wrote: I decided more than 50 years ago (along with my then wife) not to have kids. 

I've not once regretted that decision, and to ensure it I had a vasectomy at a very young age that the
majority of GPs would (legally) refuse to do it.  Abortion was also illegal here in Australia at that time.

In the early days, I (we) weren't necessarily harangued by parents or relatives, but the conservative
oldies in the family often said "when are we gonna hear the patter of tiny feet?" or bullshit like that.

Generally speaking, I don't like babies or little kids or teenagers.  At various times they're dirty and

And I agree with someone who reckoned their friends with kids were jealous of our childless status as
it let us do what we liked, when we liked, and spend all of our earnings on just the two of us.  We didn't
have the hassle of baby-sitters, food, clothing and school expenses, or being tied to some arsewipe of a
timetable dictated to us by a couple of whinging,  ungrateful ankle-biters.

Would I ever change my mind, or did I ever rethink my position?  No fucking way José.

You forgot to add Cranky to your post.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ, Dom, Smercury44, Fireball

The lake water wouldn't disappear.

(11-07-2018, 08:58 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The lake water wouldn't disappear.

I'm listening if you would like to explain.  I may have gotten my facts wrong from what I read.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • SYZ

(11-06-2018, 11:44 PM)Vera Wrote: And I am outraged by people who breed like rabbits. I guess we're even.

Ditto.  When I hear in the news about someone with "13 children", 
I wish they'd publish an address so I can send them a box of condoms.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 2 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Smercury44, SYZ

(11-07-2018, 09:25 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 08:58 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The lake water wouldn't disappear.

I'm listening if you would like to explain.  I may have gotten my facts wrong from what I read.

The water would go into the soil. The lakes would disappear, but the water would still be there, just somewhat subterranean. That's a recipe for disaster.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V