Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Things That Make You Frown 2.0

I got a bug bite on my ankle over the weekend - since them it's swollen up a little bit so I have like weird looking foot AND my ankle is sore lol. Been a few days now, so sort of wondering what I'm supposed to do about it.

Looking online says basically "give it a week" before worrying about anything, it's not like infected or anything like that [that I can see at least] so......this is my life now for the next week or so haha.

(08-10-2020, 12:55 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I got a bug bite on my ankle over the weekend - since them it's swollen up a little bit so I have like  weird looking foot AND my ankle is sore lol. Been a few days now, so sort of wondering what I'm supposed to do about it.

Looking online says basically "give it a week" before worrying about anything, it's not like infected or anything like that [that I can see at least] so......this is my life now for the next week or so haha.

You might want to look up tick bites online, to eliminate that as a possibility.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • OakTree500

The National Disability Service wants me to do a series of modules and my company wants it done yesterday because we are about to go through accreditation.
I get halfway through the modules and it crashes and goes back to the beginning.
I've spent two hrs on it.
I'm ready to smash my ipad into the face of anyone who walks past me with even a remote grin.
Not enough to kill them, god no, just enough to scar them for life.
HHmmm, I might have to move up that date for the psych doc.
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Unsapien, jerry mcmasters

(08-10-2020, 01:18 PM)Alan V Wrote: You might want to look up tick bites online, to eliminate that as a possibility.
Foot = now all better, just about. In asking around, about it is mostly likely to be a horse fly bite and it took a week or so to go off, but anti-histamine and cold water to soak them in, seemed to sort that out for me Smile

And now for bad news:

My work was purchased by a larger american company earlier this year, which while it was shock news, we all remained optimistic and were told nothing would change, as we're all still working/got things to do etc.

WELL this week: "plans change". We're getting an entire company review, and redundancies are going to happen. Pretty much everybody is up for it.......so to say we're all nervous is an understatement. I'm not hanging around and have started applying for other work already, just in case. Sucks the big one, as I have to think about my wife and daughter, and how I'm going to provide for them if the worst should happen. Going through the motions for now, I have work to catch up on and I have my interview tomorrow to talk about how I may or may not fit into the new direction so will do my best to keep my job....

But.....what can you do?  Dunno
The following 5 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V, M.Linoge, Little Lunch, mordant, jerry mcmasters

(08-19-2020, 12:05 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Going through the motions for now, I have work to catch up on and I have my interview tomorrow to talk about how I may or may not fit into the new direction so will do my best to keep my job....

Hug
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • OakTree500, jerry mcmasters

(08-19-2020, 12:05 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 01:18 PM)Alan V Wrote: You might want to look up tick bites online, to eliminate that as a possibility.
Foot = now all better, just about. In asking around, about it is mostly likely to be a horse fly bite and it took a week or so to go off, but anti-histamine and cold water to soak them in, seemed to sort that out for me Smile

And now for bad news:

My work was purchased by a larger american company earlier this year, which while it was shock news, we all remained optimistic and were told nothing would change, as we're all still working/got things to do etc.

WELL this week: "plans change". We're getting an entire company review, and redundancies are going to happen. Pretty much everybody is up for it.......so to say we're all nervous is an understatement. I'm not hanging around and have started applying for other work already, just in case. Sucks the big one, as I have to think about my wife and daughter, and how I'm going to provide for them if the worst should happen. Going through the motions for now, I have work to catch up on and I have my interview tomorrow to talk about how I may or may not fit into the new direction so will do my best to keep my job....

More  Hug
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • OakTree500, mordant, skyking

Thanks for the hugs guys!

I've put in already for a few jobs so just waiting to see what comes up for those - one of which is a train driver!! That would be AMAZING and the "training" wage is way more than i'm earning currently, let alone if you're fully qualified and all that - so we'll wait and see. Should I keep my job and then get offered the train gig.......i'll seriously consider it for sure Smile

Everythings so up in the air at the moment, so we'll wait and see.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch, jerry mcmasters

(08-19-2020, 01:37 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Thanks for the hugs guys!

I've put in already for a few jobs so just waiting to see what comes up for those - one of which is a train driver!! That would be AMAZING and the "training" wage is way more than i'm earning currently, let alone if you're fully qualified and all that - so we'll wait and see. Should I keep my job and then get offered the train gig.......i'll seriously consider it for sure Smile

Everythings so up in the air at the moment, so we'll wait and see.

Good luck!!  Heart
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • OakTree500, skyking, jerry mcmasters

update:

After a nerve wrecking week I've been listed as "provisionally safe" in my role - I'm yet to have a third meeting to 100% confirm that I am actually safe, but I'm not fired.....yet at least. Everyone who was let go finished today, including a real good friend of mine, which sucked. The team that is left is like 99% good to work with, so it's not all bad I suppose.

Went through with my train driver application, and applied for a million other jobs while I was waiting to hear anything, so I've still potentially got options and stuff, just in case. At this point, with people being let go today i would imagine I'm "safe" but you never know until you get the word from the people in charge.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat

(08-28-2020, 02:36 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: update:

After a nerve wrecking week I've been listed as "provisionally safe" in my role - I'm yet to have a third meeting to 100% confirm that I am actually safe, but I'm not fired.....yet at least. Everyone who was let go finished today, including a real good friend of mine, which sucked. The team that is left is like 99% good to work with, so it's not all bad I suppose.

Went through with my train driver application, and applied for a million other jobs while I was waiting to hear anything, so I've still potentially got options and stuff, just in case. At this point, with people being let go today i would imagine I'm "safe" but you never know until you get the word from the people in charge.

It sounds like you've got a lot of options if you need them.  I hope your job is safe and if not, the train driver sounds cool Smile
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • OakTree500

(08-19-2020, 12:05 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:

And now for bad news:

My sympathies. I posted elsewhere a few weeks back that my main client was bought out by a multinational corporation, and we, too, were told "nothing will change". It's only a been a month and of course things are already changing. In fact I just had the first "empty suit" shamble in and ruin two days of work with a bone headed decision this past week. No talk of letting me go so far, but I'm only in the budget through next year, and no one will say what that means, or doesn't.

Hang in there and keep us posted.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Fireball, skyking, OakTree500

My "what was the high point of your day" thread suddenly disappearing from the forum. Angry
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball

Update 2:

I'm now officially "safe" which is a plus - maybe the wrong thread haha. The only side to this is that now the remaining team members, including myself, are double busy - we're doing all the new stuff coming in as well as picking up the other peoples work who have now left our company so that's the "thing making me frown".

Nice to know I still have a job though!
The following 4 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Little Lunch, Fireball, Bcat, Finite Monkeys

I've been driving BMWs for nearly 40 years - I'm on my 8th one. I've always admired their human factors engineering and intuitive controls, e.g. the power window switches push down for window down and pull up for window up, the seat controls are analogs of the seat shape & movements, the seats can be positioned for a wide range of people's heights/shapes, and so forth.

However, two things about my current one really puzzle and annoy me.
1 - The shift lever (it's an automatic) pushes forward for reverse and back for forward. WTF? Do you wonder why people drive into store fronts?
2 - The computer interface has a knob that turns, rocks, and pushes for controlling all manner of things. For the navigation system, one can zoom in or zoom out on the displayed map. I intuitively expected that when I rotated it clockwise, it would zoom in and counterclockwise to zoom out, i.e. right-hand thread. Nope, other way.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Little Lunch

(09-07-2020, 07:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Update 2:

I'm now officially "safe" which is a plus - maybe the wrong thread haha. The only side to this is that now the remaining team members, including myself, are double busy - we're doing all the new stuff coming in as well as picking up the other peoples work who have now left our company so that's the "thing making me frown".

Doing more work without more pay is the business model I worked under. The company will just keep squeezing. It's one of the factors weighed when I decided to retire early. Glad you still have a job!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(09-07-2020, 02:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 07:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Update 2:

Doing more work without more pay is the business model I worked under. The company will just keep squeezing. It's one of the factors weighed when I decided to retire early. Glad you still have a job!

it's bittersweet - obviously wanted to keep my job, and it's "busy" so I'm keeping myself busy as well, but I've lost a few friends from work, and on top of that rumblings are coming in that this parent company would like us to basically also do another departments job.......so we've already said "haha....NO" to that one.

I've got a million job applications out there, so if one of those come in and it pays better, i think I'll seriously consider it.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Aliza, Fireball, Bcat

Cranky Sam's (Samuel Alito) ignorant partisan speech to the Federalist Society, demonstrating his utter ignorance of issues that have and will come before the court.  https://www.npr.org/2020/11/13/934666499...n-freedoms
He is (and always was) wrong about Plan B, https://www.healthline.com/health/health...b-abortion, he's ignorant in his claims concerning "bigotry", (sexual orientation is not a choice any more than race is a choice ... thus "bigotry is a perfectly correct label).
Turns out none of them (SC justices) have military experience, which may be one reason he's so wrong about the extent of the government's power in a national emergency. https://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-...nce-2012-8
Scary to find out he's as stupid and ignorant as he always appeared.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Chas

The woman I recently hired to do my housecleaning has told me that she'll soon be going to Pennsylvania to spend the winter with relatives and won't be back until next April. I guess I'll be living in a messy house again until then.  Sad
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Tommy Turburville, dumb jock.
Scary.
https://www.alreporter.com/2020/11/02/fo...e-for-him/
Test

(11-17-2020, 02:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Tommy Turburville, dumb jock.
Scary.
https://www.alreporter.com/2020/11/02/fo...e-for-him/

You tricked me. He's too old to be a jock.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Salisbury steak for 3 of the last 12 Meals-On-Wheels meals. If the covid doesn't kill us, the food will.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I'm really missing watching my lad playing football. The end of lockdown can't come soon enough.

I'm really missing getting together with friends for a good meal.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • TonyAnkle

(11-18-2020, 08:48 AM)Chas Wrote: I'm really missing getting together with friends for a good meal.

Yeah, if things ever get back to normal I'll never take things like that for granted. I'm even missing people that I don't like.

My peacock mug broke!  Sadcryface