Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flu Vaccination

Flu Vaccination
I have never taken a flu shot before (for dumb reasons but doesn't matter right now)
Then a while back I listened to a doctor explain in numbers for how much a flu shot helps a normal healthy person.
Basically having taken the flu shot doesn't make a huge difference for most of the population
BUT
(and this is just my opinion)
If you have issues with your immune system or lungs etc, you should be taking it just in case, just so you are not part of that 0.whatever percent of people who die from the flu.

After Dom talking to me and also just seeing how horrifically sick I am getting at this point, I made some preventative decisions of which one is getting a flu shot.
My work will have a person come in soonish and I signed up for a free flu shot there.

It said in the note that you can't get the vaccine if you are allergic to eggs or this vaccine. Since I have never had this vaccine, it'll be interesting.
2+2=4
The following 2 users Like leerob's post:
  • Dom, skyking

Flu Vaccination
(10-07-2018, 01:07 AM)leerob link Wrote:I have never taken a flu shot before (for dumb reasons but doesn't matter right now)
Then a while back I listened to a doctor explain in numbers for how much a flu shot helps a normal healthy person.
Basically having taken the flu shot doesn't make a huge difference for most of the population
BUT
(and this is just my opinion)
If you have issues with your immune system or lungs etc, you should be taking it just in case, just so you are not part of that 0.whatever percent of people who die from the flu.

After Dom talking to me and also just seeing how horrifically sick I am getting at this point, I made some preventative decisions of which one is getting a flu shot.
My work will have a person come in soonish and I signed up for a free flu shot there.

It said in the note that you can't get the vaccine if you are allergic to eggs or this vaccine. Since I have never had this vaccine, it'll be interesting.
If you're unsure ask about what signs of reactions you should watch for and how long you should be alert for them. Be proactive with your meds.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Flu Vaccination
(10-06-2018, 11:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama link Wrote:You don't get immunity against the new strain(s) that comes along every year by getting a prior strain...

And this is exactly why the 2018 flu vaccine in Australia only had around a 14% effectiveness rate—because it couldn't be retroformulated.

Dodgy
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Flu Vaccination
[Image: 59902-BE6-5-D28-4-DCF-9-A25-799-DAC35-E0-BB.png]
aka: Bows & Arrows

Flu Vaccination
I started to get the shot several years ago and I haven't caught the flu since.

I see a few different doctors that all have offices in the main hospital here where there could possibly be anything floating around.

They have signs at every entrance stating that if you have any sort of possibly contagious cold you must wear the masks provided at the entrance next to the sign.

There are also bottles or Purrell™ hand sanitizer everywhere. I use that stuff on my hands and my cane handle. When it comes to touching something I try to keep it to a minimum and even push elevator buttons with my cane.

I know it may seem a little over the top but to me, I think if you want to catch something, a hospital is the place to go.
I've recently grown rudimentary legs and I am now making the move from water to land.
[Image: 7GV4EnI.png?1]

Flu Vaccination
(10-07-2018, 12:47 PM)SYZ Wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:You don't get immunity against the new strain(s) that comes along every year by getting a prior strain...

And this is exactly why the 2018 flu vaccine in Australia only had around a 14% effectiveness rate—because it couldn't be retroformulated.

Dodgy

We Canadians thank you guys for your sacrifice.

Apparently because Australia's flu season starts before ours over here, knowing which strains hit you guys gives us a better chance of getting something more useful ready.

As for people getting a really sore arm, I've never had that problem, could it be a slight allergy to eggs? The flu is incubated in some egg based solution. I know one woman that can't take the regular flu shot and has to go to her doctor to get a special type of flu shot that doesn't use eggs.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Flu Vaccination
Never had a pain at the injection site.  Girl_nails

Pablo, do you have a cool cane? [Image: oldmancane.gif]

Flu Vaccination
One nice day in 1976 I was waiting for a Bart train. (San Francisco underground transport system) I was standing in line, reading a book, not paying attention. And then this man told me to roll up my sleeve and I realized that I was standing in a vaccination queue. Ford had ordered that every person in the US was to be vaccinated against the swine flu.

Of course this failed, no records were kept. But that is how I got vaccinated against the swine flu.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Flu Vaccination
For those of us getting older, consider also a vaccination against pneumonia.  Even with a flu vaccination, one can still get the flu.  Often a case of the flu can segue into pneumonia.  I got my pneumonia vaccination early this year, and this is good for 5 years.  And I should probably get my vaccination for shingles sometime soon.
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!   Boinnnnnng!  Hiya Kids!  Hiya! Hiya!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V

Flu Vaccination
If someone told me they had a vaccine that had a 14% chance of keeping me from getting cancer, I'd take it. Same with the flu.

It's still better than nothing. I damn near died from the flu in 1978, while pregnant with Childperson.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?

Flu Vaccination
Even if a flu vaccine does not prevent catching the flu, it often makes that case of the flu comparatively mild, compared to those who are not vaccinated and catch the flu. As for cancer, there is Gardisol, a vaccine for HPV that can prevent cervical cancer. When this came out, religious right wingers became unreasonable and stupid and campaigned against teenagers getting vaccinated because they claimed it would encourage sexual activity. As if there would be no such activity without Gardisol. Stupid, stupid people. Gardisol alsp protects against genital warts.

I guess I am just stupiphobic.
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!   Boinnnnnng!  Hiya Kids!  Hiya! Hiya!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Smercury44, SYZ

Flu Vaccination
(10-02-2018, 03:09 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 03:07 AM)evenheathen link Wrote:
Tartarus Sauce Wrote:I can't recall the last time I had the flu, and I've never gotten the shot.

That used to be my credo, then I got the flu.

Get the shot, it's not just for you. Herd immunity is a thing and it protects those who are too young or old or sick to get the shot themselves.

It's not just about you, it's important.

But I hate needles.  Sad

It is no big deal, I assure you.  Like a quick pinch is all.

Flu Vaccination
(10-16-2018, 11:17 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Never had a pain at the injection site.  

I always have a sore shoulder for a day. Not a constant pain, just if I lift my arm. But it's not bad
The following 1 user Likes evenheathen's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Flu Vaccination
(10-22-2018, 05:51 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: For those of us getting older, consider also a vaccination against pneumonia...

"For those of us getting older"?       How dare you sir!

Old people are only those that can't remember... uh... what they were about to... erm... thingy post... wotsit?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Flu Vaccination
(10-23-2018, 01:42 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 05:51 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: For those of us getting older, consider also a vaccination against pneumonia...

"For those of us getting older"?       How dare you sir!

Old people are only those that can't remember... uh... what they were about to... erm... thingy post... wotsit?

Definitely squirrel.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

Flu Vaccination
(10-23-2018, 01:24 AM)evenheathen Wrote: I always have a sore shoulder for a day. Not a constant pain, just if I lift my arm. But it's not bad

Got my shot last week, and my arm was sore for about two days.  It might be the technique of the person giving the shot, as this doesn't always happen to me.

Flu Vaccination
Perhaps too close to a nerve?

Flu Vaccination
A combination of things, I think. Went and looked it up: The body does react to vaccines with a bit of inflammation and swelling at the injection site, but there can also be a bit of bruising from broken small blood vessels.

Flu Vaccination
If/when a vaccine is found for COVID-19, I wonder if the anti-vaxxers will stick to their guns.
No gods necessary

Flu Vaccination
(03-16-2020, 10:18 AM)brunumb Wrote: If/when a vaccine is found for COVID-19, I wonder if the anti-vaxxers will stick to their guns.

Publicly, yes. Privately they'll be like old fat men on the Titanic, tossing women and children into the Atlantic for a seat on the lifeboats. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Flu Vaccination
(03-16-2020, 10:18 AM)brunumb Wrote: If/when a vaccine is found for COVID-19, I wonder if the anti-vaxxers will stick to their guns.

Let's hope they do and, thus, remove themselves from the population and gene pool.  Dodgy
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Chas

Flu Vaccination
(03-16-2020, 11:04 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

Let's hope they do and, thus, remove themselves from the population and gene pool.  Dodgy

IF a few million people died because they refused to take the vaccine the anti-vaxxers would say "See?"

Flu Vaccination
(03-16-2020, 11:09 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:04 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

IF a few million people died because they refused to take the vaccine the anti-vaxxers would say "See?"

The anti-vaxxers wouldn't be saying, "See?" if they were the ones doing the dying.  Winking

Flu Vaccination
There is no God, so they won't ALL die.

Flu Vaccination
(03-16-2020, 11:21 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: There is no God, so they won't ALL die.

Aw, nuts!  Dodgy
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, Gawdzilla Sama