Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My big adventure

My big adventure
When I was a kid, my parents took us on a fishing trip to Dinorwic Lake in Ontario, where we caught walleye and northern pike. But I most definitely remember seeing the leeches swimming in the water as well. Why are there so many leeches in Canadian lakes?
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
I don't think I've ever seen fishing with that much intensity.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

My big adventure
With the border closure extended through August 21, and with the general covid fuckery in the US, we'll be staying up in the community all summer. I'm disappointed I won't get to see my friends and family this summer, but I do feel significantly safer up here.
The following 6 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Bcat, Dānu, brewerb, Deesse23, Dom, skyking

My big adventure
(07-22-2020, 11:24 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: With the border closure extended through August 21, and with the general covid fuckery in the US, we'll be staying up in the community all summer. I'm disappointed I won't get to see my friends and family this summer, but I do feel significantly safer up here.

Hug At least you have pretty scenery to be quarantined in Smile
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
My eight-year-old caught a very tiny frog:

[Image: YZ0cKzt.jpg]
[Image: gzra035.jpg]

Also, they all picked a bunch of berries on their way to the Band Office to get the mail, today:

[Image: zUL1EFn.jpg]
The following 5 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb, skyking, Dom, Bcat, Little Lunch

My big adventure
Budding biologist?

My big adventure
(07-29-2020, 01:19 AM)brewerb Wrote: Budding biologist?

Maybe. So long as it doesn't involve bugs. She's terrified of them.

Also: this is not the place to spend your summer if you're terrified of bugs.
The following 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb

My big adventure
nature blooms scary in the higher latitudes. Not much time to get the living in Smile
Perhaps this will dull her fears.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
(07-29-2020, 01:47 PM)skyking Wrote: nature blooms scary in the higher latitudes. Not much time to get the living in Smile
Perhaps this will dull her fears.

Right?! She'll move further south and suddenly the normal-sized flies and lack of black fly season will leave her feeling like she's in paradise.

My big adventure
(07-29-2020, 12:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote: My eight-year-old caught a very tiny frog:

Also, they all picked a bunch of berries on their way to the Band Office to get the mail, today:

That's a baby toad. Do NOT keep it in a jar of water as it will drown. Keep it on a bed of moist (not wet) moss and leaves. Feed it tiny insects.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat, Dom

My big adventure
(07-30-2020, 10:40 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 12:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote: My eight-year-old caught a very tiny frog:

That's a baby toad. Do NOT keep it in a jar of water as it will drown. Keep it on a bed of moist (not wet) moss and leaves. Feed it tiny insects.

Or you could just let it go free back into the wild into its natural habitat Smile
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Gwaithmir

My big adventure
(07-30-2020, 10:40 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: That's a baby toad. Do NOT keep it in a jar of water as it will drown. Keep it on a bed of moist (not wet) moss and leaves. Feed it tiny insects.

She let it go after 15 minutes.

We were wondering if it was a toad. When we suggested that, the eight-year-old said "No. It's beautiful. Toads are ugly."
The following 4 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, brewerb, skyking

My big adventure
[Image: NearBossyImperatorangel-size_restricted.gif]

One again, no self restraint. TOOOOAD
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
I'll be driving into town in a bit, this morning. It will be my first time there since March, and my first time driving there since last fall. This is primarily an oil change and one helluva beer run, but I'm going to get some of the other stuff we can't get shipped up here, too.
  • Alan V, brewerb, Dom, skyking

My big adventure
I made it back just before dinner, yesterday, with 6.5 L of new oil, some groceries, 48 cans of beer, and five bottles of whiskey. Big Grin
  • Dānu, brewerb, Deesse23, Dom

My big adventure
We had our first frost of the season early last week:

[Image: CoqA3S9.jpg]
The following 3 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb, Bcat, skyking

My big adventure
Friday morning was super foggy. It looked like Silent Hill, minus the ash:

[Image: i1H3ysO.jpg]

[Image: mEtifJy.jpg]

[Image: u3d1gMz.jpg]

It cleared up and actually got warm enough for shorts by the afternoon.
The following 3 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb, Dom, Bcat

My big adventure
Panic
30C here today.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
(09-13-2020, 02:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: Friday morning was super foggy. It looked like Silent Hill, minus the ash:

[Image: i1H3ysO.jpg]

[Image: mEtifJy.jpg]

[Image: u3d1gMz.jpg]

It cleared up and actually got warm enough for shorts by the afternoon.

Lucky bastard. Our fog leaves an ash residue!
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Bcat, RobbyPants

My big adventure
(09-13-2020, 04:04 PM)skyking Wrote: Lucky bastard. Our fog leaves an ash residue!

Yeah, I kind of forget that everyone on the west coast is pretty much being forced to live in Silent Hill right now.

My big adventure
It was subtle and brief, but we had our first snowflakes of the season this morning.
The following 2 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb, Mark

My big adventure
(10-11-2018, 05:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 04:21 PM)SYZ link Wrote: I'm not too sure about that big black bear though.  Do they attack humans, or ignore you?
Are they easy to frighten off?  Are they a protected species, no shooting them?  Have you
got a bear-proof fence around your house, or is it just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled?

From what I've read, bears are not typically aggressive. If food is scarce, you can have a predatory encounter, in which case it's life or death; however, those are rare. For the most part, bears are inquisitive, and they investigate things. Also, they tend to avoid humans. Apparently, their eyesight isn't that great, so if you see a bear 100m out, and it sees you, you're supposed to wave your arms over your head and talk calmly to it. The goal is to have the bear ID you, and just leave you alone on its own.

Problems are going to be if you startle the bear, if you're near a mother's cub, or if it otherwise perceives you as a threat. Also, bears that have learned humans provide food (typically from poorly handled trash) are an issue because they'll be more comfortable coming around humans, which increases the chance of a negative encounter.

They don't always attack when encountered in bad circumstances. They will sometimes bluff charge you, which is a when they start a charge and stop short, hoping to scare you off. I've also heard you will not outrun a bear at any time in any type of terrain, so don't try. Black bears are also good climbers.

As for how we deal with them: the bear nearby seldom comes near the reservation. The dump is 2 km away, and he seems to be fine hanging around that buffet. I don't have to go there often, but when I do, I keep my eyes peeled.

I have heard that wolves can come into town in the winter, so that will be a fun thing for me to keep watch for.  Dodgy

Wolves and bears? Black Bears wander through my back yard occasionally. I'll settle for my relationship with my friendly raccoon.  Whistling
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
(09-16-2020, 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: It was subtle and brief, but we had our first snowflakes of the season this morning.

Panic Panic Panic Panic
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • skyking

My big adventure
(09-16-2020, 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: It was subtle and brief, but we had our first snowflakes of the season this morning.

The bears are going to start getting pissy.

My big adventure
(09-16-2020, 04:43 PM)brewerb Wrote:

The bears are going to start getting pissy.

My scan flipped from @Cavebear 's friendly raccoon to your post which I at first read as the bears are going to start getting pussy."  (Hopefully Cavebear will have sufficiently loosened that poor raccoon up.)  Wink

I think I may have a naturally dirty mind.

@RobbyPants I hope none of our missing smoke has shown up in your neck of the woods.  But air quality here improved to the point that I could walk the dogs yesterday at Fort Funston without wearing any mask at all except when passing someone.  Today at home we're in the green at 26 AQI so I was able to exercise the younger dog hard off leash early this morning.  Heck, maybe I'll be seeing @Tres Leches and her daughter pretty soon.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • brewerb, RobbyPants, Tres Leches

[-]
Quick Reply