Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As the darkness consumes my soul.

(05-19-2020, 01:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: All right high horseman, let everyone hear your great point that you have to make.

Or you could always try, you know, reading.

Stupid cunt.
On hiatus.

(05-19-2020, 01:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: All right high horseman, let everyone hear your great point that you have to make.

Stupid cunt.

Okay, Thump, make sure you quote everybody no matter who they're talking to or what they're talking about because the important thing is they get exposed to your brilliant high-horsed point about no one cares.  Lol.

(05-19-2020, 01:28 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Stupid cunt.

Okay, Thump, make sure you quote everybody no matter who they're talking to or what they're talking about because the important thing is they get exposed to your brilliant high-horsed point about no one cares.  Lol.

*Yawn*
On hiatus.

(05-19-2020, 02:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:28 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Or you could always try, you know, reading.

Stupid cunt.

*Yawn*

Quotes me endlessly, gets spanked, then it's yawn.  lol.

(05-17-2020, 07:33 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 04:41 PM)Link Wrote: I pray you gain guidance from God.

Piss off you dopey Muslim cunt.  We don't need or welcome shit-stains like you.
People like you make me wanna puke, with your fucking war-mongering dogma.

May Muhammad forever ream Allah's arsehole, lubricated with pig grease.  And
may you forever suck off your camels and goats.   Have a nice day raghead.

Oh c'mon, just say what you REALLY think. LOL!

sarc
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(05-19-2020, 02:05 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 02:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:28 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Okay, Thump, make sure you quote everybody no matter who they're talking to or what they're talking about because the important thing is they get exposed to your brilliant high-horsed point about no one cares.  Lol.

*Yawn*

Kicks over the pieces, shits on the board, declares victory ...

... *yawn*
On hiatus.

(05-19-2020, 03:13 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 02:05 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 02:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: *Yawn*

Kicks over the pieces, shits on the board, declares victory ...

... *yawn*

Ah, she's OK... Top 20 mebbe. Not that I always agree, but makes decent arguments. Wink

(05-18-2020, 06:00 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 05:49 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 07:24 PM)Unsapien Wrote: Challenge accepted.

Following you to see what you say.  Not something I would normally do, but I'm feeling challenging today.

They won't allow my email address.  Why "cavebear" is offensive I have no idea.  It was simply an animal of  previous age.

Well I'm in under Unsapien no problem, I didn't upload my avatar as I'm not sure how a monkey holding a dagger would go over, but maybe i'm over thinking that.

They ask you to give your religion which I put as "none".

Made 2 posts in a thread where someone is saying that they're having doubts about whether god really exists, someone posted about there has to be a god cause who created the universe and I posted that there is no reason to think, however the universe started, required a conscious being to do it. So we'll see where this goes.

Both my posts so far have required a moderator to approve the post.

I couldn't find an "introduce yourself" section, but maybe I've just missed it.

We'll see how it goes.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-19-2020, 03:32 AM)Unsapien Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 06:00 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 05:49 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Following you to see what you say.  Not something I would normally do, but I'm feeling challenging today.

They won't allow my email address.  Why "cavebear" is offensive I have no idea.  It was simply an animal of  previous age.

Well I'm in under Unsapien no problem, I didn't upload my avatar as I'm not sure how a monkey holding a dagger would go over, but maybe i'm over thinking that.

They ask you to give your religion which I put as "none".

Made 2 posts in a thread where someone is saying that they're having doubts about whether god really exists, someone posted about there has to be a god cause who created the universe and I posted that there is no reason to think, however the universe started, required a conscious being to do it. So we'll see where this goes.

Both my posts so far have required a moderator to approve the post.

I couldn't find an "introduce yourself" section, but maybe I've just missed it.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for relating the experience. I don't think I'll bother pursuing it further though.

(05-18-2020, 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:51 PM)Chas Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 09:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: But that also means that its cultural roots aren't limited to Islam.

As is usual, religion is the fig-leaf for shitty behavior. That doesn't mean it's the cause of it.

I, for one, don't care whether or not it originated with the religion.  It's part of it. They approve these evils.

I think understanding why a thing is is useful in understanding how to defuse it.

We already understand it.  Religions co-opt local traditions to aid acceptance.  Just look at the history of the Roman Catholic Church.
Truly, we already understand how it works.

It is part of the religion because of it having been part of the culture(s) subsumed and assimilated.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Cavebear, abaris

(05-19-2020, 03:52 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:51 PM)Chas Wrote: I, for one, don't care whether or not it originated with the religion.  It's part of it. They approve these evils.

I think understanding why a thing is is useful in understanding how to defuse it.

We already understand it.  Religions co-opt local traditions to aid acceptance.  Just look at the history of the Roman Catholic Church.

It is part of the religion because of it having been part of the culture(s) subsumed and assimilated.

Yeah, religions always co-opt hard-won practical experience and then say their god did it!

(05-19-2020, 12:56 AM)Vera Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 11:03 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 09:02 PM)Chas Wrote: It sounds like bad filtering and thin skin.  They should get over themselves.

Thin skin?  The forum just had a stroke over a guy posting a poem.

So, people pointing out that he's posting badly scribbled shit (and someone picking the same old fight with the ame old person for the n'th time) is the forum having a stroke?

Plus ça change, plus c'est lê meme jerk Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The Académie Française called.  That should be "la même jerk".  Big Grin
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Cavebear, Dānu

(05-19-2020, 03:58 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 11:03 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Thin skin?  The forum just had a stroke over a guy posting a poem.

So, people pointing out that he's posting badly scribbled shit (and someone picking the same old fight with the ame old person for the n'th time) is the forum having a stroke?

That can't be French. Otherwise it would have had "Américaine" in it. Like "Les secousses américaines"... Wink

(05-18-2020, 11:03 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 09:02 PM)Chas Wrote: It sounds like bad filtering and thin skin.  They should get over themselves.

Thin skin?  The forum just had a stroke over a guy posting a poem.

[Image: 024-respect.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Mr Greene, Thumpalumpacus

(05-18-2020, 11:03 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Thin skin?  The forum just had a stroke over a guy posting a poem.

No, it shouldn't. He is, arguably, male (the curcimflex accent was too much of a hassle. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Of, course, I know that the idea of grammatical gender is too much for most English speakers Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Well, to be fair, it wasn't a very good poem... Big Grin
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Thumpalumpacus

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

(05-18-2020, 10:51 PM)Chas Wrote: I, for one, don't care whether or not it originated with the religion.  It's part of it. They approve these evils.

Which means, to me, that assigning blame to religion is probably not digging deep enough to uproot the problem. Ingroup/outgroup thinking probably far predate organized religion.
On hiatus.

(05-19-2020, 10:09 AM)trdsf Wrote:
Well, to be fair, it wasn't a very good poem... Big Grin

Short on poetry, long on polemic. Color me jaded.
On hiatus.

(05-19-2020, 11:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I think understanding why a thing is is useful in understanding how to defuse it.

Which means, to me, that assigning blame to religion is probably not digging deep enough to uproot the problem. Ingroup/outgroup thinking probably far predate organized religion.

There's no such thing as religion.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

(05-20-2020, 12:20 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 03:52 AM)Chas Wrote: We already understand it.  Religions co-opt local traditions to aid acceptance.  Just look at the history of the Roman Catholic Church.

There's no such thing as religion.

Explain?
On hiatus.

(05-18-2020, 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I think understanding why a thing is is useful in understanding how to defuse it.

I think you are emphasizing a distinction without a difference.  
Without the cover and protection of the prevailing religion, rational humanist argument would have a chance to change the culture.
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-19-2020, 09:33 AM)Vera Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 12:56 AM)Vera Wrote: So, people pointing out that he's posting badly scribbled shit (and someone picking the same old fight with the ame old person for the n'th time) is the forum having a stroke?

No, it shouldn't. He is, arguably, male (the curcimflex accent was too much of a hassle. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Of, course, I know that the idea of grammatical gender is too much for most English speakers Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The 'la' was a typo, the circumflex was the point.  Oh, well.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(05-20-2020, 04:41 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 03:52 AM)Chas Wrote: We already understand it.  Religions co-opt local traditions to aid acceptance.  Just look at the history of the Roman Catholic Church.

Without the cover and protection of the prevailing religion, rational humanist argument would have a chance to change the culture.

Yeah, imagine a world where no idiot conceived the concept of a deity. We might be in 4020 or beyond now...

(05-20-2020, 04:41 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 11:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Which means, to me, that assigning blame to religion is probably not digging deep enough to uproot the problem. Ingroup/outgroup thinking probably far predate organized religion.

I doubt eliminating religion (as if that could ever happen) will eliminate misogyny, bigotry, or the other ills that those assholes practice under cover of religion. They'll simply find another thought process that seemingly supports their prejudices, much like the European scientists of the 19th century spent quite a bit of time giving "scientific explanations" for why Africans weren't as advanced as white Europeans, for instance.
On hiatus.