Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gripes about philosophy or philosophocology: what's your beef?

(04-24-2020, 10:56 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 10:52 PM)Mark Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 10:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was raised in an areligious household. None of the god-bothering I ran into later got my attention.

What to hell happened to your cousins?  Then again, what happened to mine?

My cousins were raised in the deep South. My family moved to Indiana before I started school. AND the Y-donor was about as antisocial as you could get. Would go to church, too many people who might want to talk to him. They tried sending me and my brother to Sunday School, but the fact that both parents didn't get out of bed informed me of the real status there.

At an agnostic site a woman was just bragging about how as a tweener she just told her mother one day she didn't believe in any of it and didn't want to go to church anymore.  "That's fine dear."  Then she was wondering why they'd been dropping her and her brother off every week if it wasn't even important to them.  I had to point out the obvious opportunity for some quality adult time.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • julep, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

Our church going was by orders without reasoning. I went, I asked awkward questions about Noah's family life after the Flood, I was asked to not come back. Worked nicely.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Mark

Philosophy is nice, even useful on occasion. But it's also fraught with bullshit, given that it really can't be tested to failure.

I find its utility to reside largely in the arts, where there's no truly objective right or wrong anyway.

The bottom of the basket is pretty frail, therefore I don't care to put my eggs in it.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, SYZ, adey67

Let's not have a cow!

(04-24-2020, 11:31 PM)no one Wrote: Let's not have a cow!

But if we have no cow from whence will come any beef?  If we don’t get our beefs out all we’ll ever have is shit sandwiches. Therefore I say unto you verily bring forth thy cows gentle people.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(04-24-2020, 11:01 PM)Mark Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 10:56 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 10:52 PM)Mark Wrote: What to hell happened to your cousins?  Then again, what happened to mine?

My cousins were raised in the deep South. My family moved to Indiana before I started school. AND the Y-donor was about as antisocial as you could get. Would go to church, too many people who might want to talk to him. They tried sending me and my brother to Sunday School, but the fact that both parents didn't get out of bed informed me of the real status there.

At an agnostic site a woman was just bragging about how as a tweener she just told her mother one day she didn't believe in any of it and didn't want to go to church anymore.  "That's fine dear."  Then she was wondering why they'd been dropping her and her brother off every week if it wasn't even important to them.  I had to point out the obvious opportunity for some quality adult time.
god, ugh

(04-25-2020, 12:29 AM)julep Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 11:01 PM)Mark Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 10:56 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: My cousins were raised in the deep South. My family moved to Indiana before I started school. AND the Y-donor was about as antisocial as you could get. Would go to church, too many people who might want to talk to him. They tried sending me and my brother to Sunday School, but the fact that both parents didn't get out of bed informed me of the real status there.

Oh, the memories!  My father was a jail chaplain.  Every Sunday morning he was preaching in the prison system...my mother actually did use the church time to drop us kids off at Sunday school/church and then go off and fuck the guy she was having an affair with.  (Who was an ex con my father had helped get out of prison, find a job and housing, etc.)  Often resulting in us kids being picked up very, very late after the Sunday services.  

True story.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Alan V, Mark, Thumpalumpacus

I did splendidly in my philosophy courses, but I do not view philosophy as a hard science. It is merely a representation of thought, attempting at logic, and only a model of reality based on fallible subjectivity.
The following 4 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, adey67

I find most philosophy to be "navel-gazing" but then again I don't mind if people read fiction for entertainment. So I suppose I don't mind philosophy either (might offend some people by comparing philosophy to passive entertainment but whatever). But also not all fiction is superficial, either.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 6 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, skyking, adey67

(04-25-2020, 02:17 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I find most philosophy to be "navel-gazing" but then again I don't mind if people read fiction for entertainment. So I suppose I don't mind philosophy either (might offend some people by comparing philosophy to passive entertainment but whatever). But also not all fiction is superficial, either.

No argument from me I hold literature in slightly higher regard than philosophy now. I think I get more out of it.
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, adey67

(04-24-2020, 11:01 PM)Mark Wrote: At an agnostic site a woman was just bragging about how as a tweener she just told her mother one day she didn't believe in any of it and didn't want to go to church anymore.  "That's fine dear."  Then she was wondering why they'd been dropping her and her brother off every week if it wasn't even important to them.  I had to point out the obvious opportunity for some quality adult time.

My sister and I, too, were shopped out. Mom could have a Bloody Mary and dad could watch the first football game in peace. Sis and I walked to and from the church eight or ten blocks away, in El Paso. After moving to Teheran, we got sent to services ranging from Catholic to Mormon, probably for the reason you describe.
On hiatus.

T
(04-25-2020, 02:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 11:01 PM)Mark Wrote: At an agnostic site a woman was just bragging about how as a tweener she just told her mother one day she didn't believe in any of it and didn't want to go to church anymore.  "That's fine dear."  Then she was wondering why they'd been dropping her and her brother off every week if it wasn't even important to them.  I had to point out the obvious opportunity for some quality adult time.

My sister and I, too, were shopped out. Mom could have a Bloody Mary and dad could watch the first football game in peace. Sis and I walked to and from the church eight or ten blocks away, in El Paso. After moving to Teheran, we got sent to services ranging from Catholic to Mormon, probably for the reason you describe.

Free babysitting is a damned good price. Sorry you got sold out like that, both you.
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-25-2020, 03:31 AM)Mark Wrote: Free babysitting is a damned good price. Sorry you got sold out like that, both you.

To be fair, we knew even at that tender age we were Hell on feet.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Fireball

Philosophocology
Is that the study of thinking about letting some philosophocologist stick something in your bum ?
Test

(04-25-2020, 04:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Philosophocology
Is that the study of thinking about letting some philosophocologist stick something in your bum ?

Not exactly.
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • c172

Philosophers are often like product testers. They deliberately try to stress or damage certain ideas to test whether they are durable.

So one of their problems is when they lack discrimination. They try to test ideas which are already well-tested, sometimes to show off their skills. And of course even if they succeed in stressing or damaging your ideas, that's not always welcome behavior from an uninvited freelancer.

(To be clear, participation in an online forum like this is typically understood to be a sign of one's willingness to have one's ideas tested.)
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Mark, c172

If it floats your boat have at it, we all have different interests and life would be dull if we were all the same. 

No offence but I personally find it boring and tedious and often it appears to me some of it's enthusiasts (not on this forum) come across as rather affected and prone to disappearing up their own or others arsehole. Having said that each to his/her own and to be fair I think philosophy is great training for debate and excellent exercise for the brain but it's not my bag at all I'm afraid.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Mark

So-called philosophers live in a kind of sterile, academic, self-contained social bubble.  They're ultimately not connected
with the real world as are mathematicians, climatologist, logicians, engineers, biologists, physicists et al.  They don't
have to come up with any solutions to problems in order to earn their daily dollar.  Their language and their notions are
so esoteric that the general public is unable or willing to question their ultimately worthless pronouncements for fear of
looking silly in the eyes of other pretenders who in actuality know nothing about the topic themselves.

Philosophy may have served a worthwhile purpose a thousand years ago, when the populace at large didn't know their
arse from a hole in the ground, but in an enlightened 21st century, philosophers and their bullshit should be buried in
that same ancient hole.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-25-2020, 09:46 PM)SYZ Wrote: Their language and their notions are
so esoteric

Technically you can say the same thing about scientists, but there is popular science, although it doesn't always do a good job.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Polysemantics.

Grrrrr!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy
The following 1 user Likes kittycate198's post:
  • Mark

Philosophy is important because it teaches people how to think in colour and stops all you robots from taking over. :-)
The following 3 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat, Mark

(09-05-2020, 12:47 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: Philosophy is important because it teaches people how to think in colour and stops all you robots from taking over. :-)

[Image: 4dxupl.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • adey67, Little Lunch

(09-05-2020, 01:20 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 12:47 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: Philosophy is important because it teaches people how to think in colour and stops all you robots from taking over. :-)

[Image: 4dxupl.jpg]

I dunno if it's completely useless. Hard to have arguments against the existence of god without at least engaging in some philosophy, or when deconstructing theistic arguments. And there are studies which show that cognitive behavioral therapy, which has its roots in the philosophy of Stoicism, is very effective.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat

I took a Philosophy course in college. It’s not a subject I would be interested in immersing myself in, but I do think it encourages analytical thinking and the use of logic and so therefore, has merit.
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Mark, Little Lunch