Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a blu-ray drive for my desktop. Suggs?

(04-21-2020, 09:13 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 09:04 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:33 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: They're only doing curb pickup right now. Not an option anyway. I let them "set up" a new computer once. They did nothing I couldn't have done myself. I'll let the noobs and novices pay them to hit "yes".

Its on the box it came in.  Surely you kept the box.  Just kidding...   ROFL2
Actually, I do. I used to be an insurance claim rep. The boxes prove what I have/had. I keep them in a space under the basement stairs that I call Pottermore.

I actually keep them too, I just didn't think anyone else did. The closet in the computer room has more weird stuff in it than a closet SHOULD have.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

resim
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(04-21-2020, 09:43 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: resim

It all turned into code...  5 times of trying. But shows up fine on the monitor. I'll turn off the computer and start it again. It's been a week.

[Image: giphy.gif]
  • Cavebear

(04-21-2020, 09:58 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I usually just start any phone call with IT by saying, "Yes I've turned it off and restarted it 3 times, checked my plugs, and the router has all the lights on".  I understand why they ask, but it lets them know I'm not stupid. And I usually also say "yes you can use remote control on my computer". Saves some time.

(04-21-2020, 10:04 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

I usually just start any phone call with IT by saying, "Yes I've turned it off and restarted it 3 times, checked my plugs, and the router has all the lights on".  I understand why they ask, but it lets them know I'm not stupid. And I usually also say "yes you can use remote control on my computer".  Saves some time.
When I worked for ... the government ... I would turn my computer on and go have breakfast. Every morning the IT people in the five-sized puzzle box would dig through it for issue. Full tune-up, and security check, every day. Most reliable computer I ever used.
  • Cavebear

(04-21-2020, 10:27 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 10:04 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

I usually just start any phone call with IT by saying, "Yes I've turned it off and restarted it 3 times, checked my plugs, and the router has all the lights on".  I understand why they ask, but it lets them know I'm not stupid. And I usually also say "yes you can use remote control on my computer".  Saves some time.
When I worked for ... the government ... I would turn my computer on and go have breakfast. Every morning the IT people in the five-sized puzzle box would dig through it for issue. Full tune-up, and security check, every day. Most reliable computer I ever used.

LOL!  I was the opposite.  I had a stand alone "sort of secret" computer.  It started as one that "just" took 24 hours to process proprietary vendor telephone call data.  As computers got better (and I smarter) it took less time.  The rare time when IT discovered my stand-alone (and it didn't connect to anywhere), they complained about it.  But it had information I was protecting.  If Upper Management had ever realized I could tell who the Top bosses called at the White House or Congress, they would have taken it away.  And abused the information.

So I was devious and sneaky.  It was a "telephone cost analysis program for basic but proprietary" data.  "Required by contract".  No one ever knew what I had.  Actually, it was Upper Management I was protecting and the contract IT guys I most feared for leaks.  

I had a few hard meetings and situations in my career (which is saying something considering I inventoried the furniture in the White House Oval Office at gunpoint).  But the hardest might have been the time the CFO of the agency requested my attendence at a staff meeting with all his Division Directors.  He suggested I should put the telephone records online.

Like hell I would.  I said I would consider his suggestion.  So he demanded I do it.  I refused, saying again that I would"consider" his suggestion.  All his Division Directors went pale.  You did not refuse a suggestion from the CFO.  I did.  And I got away with it.  Nobody ever got me to do anything I thought was a bad idea.  

What happened with the program after I retired is not my concern.  But a co-worker told me a year later that they had to replace me with 3 full time employees and a part-time IT person.  

That felt Soooo Good.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-yo...tem-specs/

You can ask Windows 10 what hardware you have. Apple and Linux also have ways of finding out what you have installed.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(04-21-2020, 01:04 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-yo...tem-specs/

You can ask Windows 10 what hardware you have.  Apple and Linux also have ways of finding out what you have installed.

Well, the Apple logo in the top left will tell you all about your system. I've been away from Windows for a decade, so I'm not sure what they will tell you, though I expect they can.

[Image: hsa9jhp.jpg]

does it have a vertical drive like this one?

Lenovo instructions 

how about a 5-head?
That's a joke about something larger than a forehead Big Grin

5 head instructions

The thing to note is the latch doohickey. You don't remove any screws to get the drive out, you press some proprietary latch. Then you take the proprietary rails off that drive and screw them to your new drive. It's that way with most production computers, there's some clicky bit that makes it fast on the assembly line.

(04-21-2020, 02:19 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: hsa9jhp.jpg]

Your system is about the same as mine, but it is from 2011 (updated to within an inch of its life to be sure). But I have a 1tb (ram) for photos, I won't touch the Cloud.

(04-21-2020, 02:24 PM)skyking Wrote: does it have a vertical drive like this one?

Lenovo instructions 

how about a 5-head?
That's a joke about something larger than a forehead Big Grin

5 head instructions

The thing to note is the latch doohickey. You don't remove any screws to get the drive out, you press some proprietary latch. Then you take the proprietary rails off that drive and screw them to your drive. It's that way with most production computers, there's some clicky bit that makes it fast on the assembly line.
Haven't opened it.

(04-21-2020, 02:31 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 02:19 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: hsa9jhp.jpg]

Your system is about the same as mine, but it is from 2011 (updated to within an inch of its life to be sure).  But I have a 1tb (ram) for photos, I won't touch the Cloud.

I use this one for my A3 scanners.

I got nuttin googling your numbers at lenovo. It either looks similar to the one or the other in the links.

I'll bust the case eventually. Disconnect four hundred cables first.

(04-21-2020, 02:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'll bust the case eventually. Disconnect four hundred cables first.

Dam, I wish I had 6 ports for cables.

(04-21-2020, 02:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'll bust the case eventually. Disconnect four hundred cables first.

Unless you've got one of those stupid clam-shell cases that pinch the cables in the back when you open it, you should be good just unplugging it from the wall.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(04-21-2020, 06:24 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:

Unless you've got one of those stupid clam-shell cases that pinch the cables in the back when you open it, you should be good just unplugging it from the wall.

Why would you need to worry about the cables if you are going to unplug the computer from the wall?

(04-21-2020, 06:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:24 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:

Why would you need to worry about the cables if you are going to unplug the computer from the wall?

Please see my emphasis above.

(04-21-2020, 06:38 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:24 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Unless you've got one of those stupid clam-shell cases that pinch the cables in the back when you open it, you should be good just unplugging it from the wall.

Clamshell cases, yeah I read that. SO?

(04-21-2020, 06:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:38 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Why would you need to worry about the cables if you are going to unplug the computer from the wall?

Clamshell cases, yeah I read that.  SO?

For fuck's sake. I'm not writing an essay to explain something so obvious and evident.

(04-21-2020, 03:00 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Dam, I wish I had 6 ports for cables.
I had six empty bays, added five USB 3.0 cards with five ports each. Haven't had to root around under the desk in quite a while.

(04-21-2020, 07:07 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I had six empty bays, added five USB 3.0 cards with five ports each. Haven't had to root around under the desk in quite a while.

When I expanded my USB capacity, I just bought a 24 port externally powered hub. $29.99 at the time at Newegg for a net gain of 23 ports. And, it'll move to the next PC real easy. Big Grin

(04-21-2020, 09:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 07:07 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I had six empty bays, added five USB 3.0 cards with five ports each. Haven't had to root around under the desk in quite a while.

When I expanded my USB capacity, I just bought a 24 port externally powered hub. $29.99 at the time at Newegg for a net gain of 23 ports. And, it'll move to the next PC real easy. Big Grin
I have two of those, one on either upright on my hutch. Only twelve ports each, however.
  • Cavebear