Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Symbols Surviving Disasters

I'm just pissed off right now & need to rant a bit.

We had some tornadoes in Alabama yesterday. My mom & brother's business got hit pretty hard. The building is still standing but the roof is largely gone & the interior is a mess.This is just the latest of many things they've been dealing with in the last few years. I live out of state, so I don't know what I can even do to help at this point. I'm extremely upset by the situation, but that's not why I'm angry.

This is:
[Image: iMZofCPt0sU3w-RHRhC4MPLhQZymd9s4o7-GKveF...68-h716-no]
The fucking local new station is ignoring damage that seriously affects the lives of others so that they can cheer about a fucking cross that didn't fall. To top it off, I've got friends from the area sharing it saying things like "God is in control." Any god that's destroying small businesses & saving a cross is a fucking asshole. It's spread so far that I have friends 12 hours away sharing this stupid shit & they don't even know the area. I try to let people do their thing when they're just comforting themselves after a disaster, but this is anything but comforting.
The following 9 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb, julep, abaris, brunumb, Paleophyte, Phaedrus, GenesisNemesis, mordant

I am reminded of the lady preacher who was being interviewed before the rubble of her church, flattened by a tornado.

"I thank God more people weren't killed."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

What about the two crosses that did? WTF indeed.
The following 5 users Like skyking's post:
  • Fireball, abaris, airportkid, SYZ, mordant

(04-13-2020, 04:52 PM)skyking Wrote: What about the two crosses that did? WTF indeed.

Those were the criminals.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • mordant

@isbelldl, sympathies for your family.

If it's any consolation, people all over the country will find jesus in their pancakes today.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • skyking, Minimalist

This survived all the bombing of Berlin..... until the Russians climbed up there and blew it up.

Must be another one of them fucking miracles, huh?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-13-2020, 07:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: This survived all the bombing of Berlin..... until the Russians climbed up there and blew it up.

Must be another one of them fucking miracles, huh?

Good video footage, as I am currently listening to "Victory is Won" by Santana. It's a miracle!   Facepalm
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(04-13-2020, 07:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: This survived all the bombing of Berlin..... until the Russians climbed up there and blew it up.

It's Nuremberg, Zeppelin Field, and it were the Americans blowing it up.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

sometimes she misses, sometimes she doesn't
https://www.al.com/news/2020/04/alabama-...state.html

[Image: DG23EPDB5JG5VDOSQHYRVJA66M.jpg]

[Image: ZF6KEEHS5ZEFBGC2LSUILZEYX4.jpg]

[Image: 2e9d26a8-e520-4d05-ab90-58e54dff8a0d-AP_...&auto=webp]

[Image: 20200303T1014-34657-CNS-TENNESSEE-TORNAD...90x450.jpg]

And sometimes her aim is impeccable
The following 4 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, SYZ, Gawdzilla Sama

Hindu's have the same mindset when a Lord Shiva statue survived a flood.  Lord Shiva is a true god!  It's a miracle! 

[Image: 1q08ddlkm5311.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, skyking, brewerb

(04-13-2020, 08:22 PM)abaris Wrote:

It's Nuremberg, Zeppelin Field, and it were the Americans blowing it up.

That's not what Youtube said.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(04-14-2020, 12:38 AM)Minimalist Wrote: That's not what Youtube said.

Like Trump, Youtube says a lot of things and not all of it is true.

[Image: Sprengung_Hakenkreuz_video.jpg]

That's where the "Reichsparteitag" took place. The Zeppelin Field at Nuremberg.

[Image: 1930-die-ns-propaganda-bild-von-nurnberg...m7n2fx.jpg]

That's how it looks today.

[Image: zeppelinfeld.jpg]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Is the End Near? A Painting of Jesus Was the Lone Survivor of a Seven-Alarm Fire That Incinerated the Wakefield, Massachusetts Church.

According to eyewitness reports, the hellish conflagration ignited when lightning struck this church steeple
Tuesday night during a severe storm. The 150-year-old First Baptist Church building was soon entirely
engulfed in flames, and everything was destroyed by the resulting inferno—everything, except the painting.

[Image: 44618630_335841803817222_4732931287336091648_n.jpg]

Amid the ashes, it was almost miraculously untouched, marked by only a few drips of water.
[Image: DqSjv3CX0AAzhd8?format=jpg&name=small]

So this fucking god of their allows a multi-million dollar church to be razed, but purportedly saves
a $1,000 painting?   Yeah... that sounds about right.     Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

You'd think their invisible friend might also have done something about the Notre Dame fire, too... he must've been out of town that week.

Speaking of, about an hour south of here we have a nutjob church that refuses to close down for COVID-19 because (quoting parishioners) they've been "washed in the blood of Jesus" -- which sounds both unhealthy and unsane.  I mean, if someone told you they'd been washed in the blood of Alan down the street, you wouldn't say "Praise Alan!", you'd keep your distance and call the police.

You might have heard of this bunch before; ten years ago their 6-story statue locally referred to as 'Touchdown Jesus' burned to the ground after a lightning strike.

Here's your before and after:
[Image: WCPO_Touchdown_Jesus_Before_After_149806...40_480.jpg]

And here's your during:
[Image: alg-jesus-statue-flames-jpg.jpg]
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Fireball, Dancefortwo, brewerb, Thumpalumpacus

There's a enough styrofoam beer coolers in the parking lot to rebuild that thing on any given Sunday.

(04-14-2020, 09:39 AM)trdsf Wrote: You'd think their invisible friend might also have done something about the Notre Dame fire, too... he must've been out of town that week.

Speaking of, about an hour south of here we have a nutjob church that refuses to close down for COVID-19 because (quoting parishioners) they've been "washed in the blood of Jesus" -- which sounds both unhealthy and unsane.  I mean, if someone told you they'd been washed in the blood of Alan down the street, you wouldn't say "Praise Alan!", you'd keep your distance and call the police.

You might have heard of this bunch before; ten years ago their 6-story statue locally referred to as 'Touchdown Jesus' burned to the ground after a lightning strike.

Here's your before and after:
[Image: WCPO_Touchdown_Jesus_Before_After_149806...40_480.jpg]

And here's your during:
[Image: alg-jesus-statue-flames-jpg.jpg]

The after picture is definitive proof that Jesus was a cyborg from the future. Greetings to our future overlords! Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

What about back when lightning rods didn't exist? Plenty of Churches were getting burned down. Oh right I guess it was only the heretics whose Churches were getting burned down.  hobo
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-14-2020, 04:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: What about back when lightning rods didn't exist? Plenty of Churches were getting burned down. Oh right I guess it was only the heretics whose Churches were getting burned down.  hobo

Actually, it was the churches' bell ringers getting fried because when a storm whipped up, they'd ring the bells to "drive it away"... wet rope + tall spire = crispy campanologist.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo, brunumb, Thumpalumpacus

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]SYZ:
So this fucking god of their allows a multi-million dollar church to be razed, but purportedly saves
a $1,000 painting?

god is not a financially responsible deity.

It's the actual reason for the flood. god was not upset that humans were sinners. god just did not want any witnesses to the folly.

(04-14-2020, 09:46 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: There's a enough styrofoam beer coolers in the parking lot to rebuild that thing on any given Sunday.
Parishioners were collecting the bits of styrofoam and taking them home as "holy relics".  Right now I'm just waiting to hear they've become a COVID cluster.  It's virtually inevitable, with that kind of stupid going on.

(04-15-2020, 01:43 PM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 09:46 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: There's a enough styrofoam beer coolers in the parking lot to rebuild that thing on any given Sunday.
Parishioners were collecting the bits of styrofoam and taking them home as "holy relics".  Right now I'm just waiting to hear they've become a COVID cluster.  It's virtually inevitable, with that kind of stupid going on.

"this story is more than 9 years old"
Now that would be some mysterious ways, indeed.

(04-15-2020, 03:05 PM)skyking Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:43 PM)trdsf Wrote:

It is, but it's the same parish that is aggressively defying the 'stay at home' order because Jesus is going to protect them.  The same way he protected his statue, no doubt.
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-13-2020, 09:15 PM)airportkid Wrote: And sometimes her aim is impeccable
I'm sorry, I didn't see your post here when I added the exact same thing!

(04-15-2020, 07:00 PM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 03:05 PM)skyking Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:43 PM)trdsf Wrote: Parishioners were collecting the bits of styrofoam and taking them home as "holy relics".  Right now I'm just waiting to hear they've become a COVID cluster.  It's virtually inevitable, with that kind of stupid going on.

It is, but it's the same parish that is aggressively defying the 'stay at home' order because Jesus is going to protect them.  The same way he protected his statue, no doubt.
"I am covered in the blood of Jesus!!!"
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking