Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem Of Evil and Covid-19

(04-04-2020, 03:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [Image: 00virus-triage-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quali...le=upscale]

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Now watch the apologists claim that means God gets credit for the medicine, medical staff, and hospital system.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 1 user Likes Reltzik's post:
  • Gwaithmir

The word "רַע" is translated a number of ways, depending on context.
Chaos is not one of them.

bad, evil
bad, disagreeable, malignant
bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)
evil, displeasing
bad (of its kind-land, water, etc)
bad (of value)
worse than, worst (comparison)
sad, unhappy
evil (hurtful)
bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)
bad, evil, wicked (ethically)
in general, of persons, of thoughts
deeds, actions
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(04-04-2020, 05:49 PM)Reltzik Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 03:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [Image: 00virus-triage-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quali...le=upscale]

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Now watch the apologists claim that means God gets credit for the medicine, medical staff, and hospital system.

Of course they will. Nothing has ever been done by any god or gods, so misappropriation is required.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(04-04-2020, 02:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 05:23 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-g...18350.html

As church services go viral and newsletters promising of God’s goodness throughout this tragedy populate inboxes, questions about whether God created coronavirus – or if it’s God’s will for the virus to flourish or if it was sent as some sort of punishment – abound. Many faith leaders say this is not a punishment, and they challenge their followers to find God even in suffering.
A Christian theologian, author and teacher at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho, Oord has been busy the past few weeks giving guest sermons via the videoconferencing app Zoom as he tries to answer the question “If God is good, then why does the coronavirus exist?”
There are, he says, a lot of bad answers to that question. When he preaches, Oord explains that there are two types of evils: moral evils, such as murder, and natural evils, such as hurricanes, tornadoes or in this case, the coronavirus. People often respond in one of three ways.
First, there’s the group that says God is “angry about sin or gays and lesbians or whatever,” Oord says, and he’s using a natural evil to punish the world. Oord rejects that view because “God is a god of love, he’s not in the business of doing evil.”

Lots of questions will be asked and not a lot of good answers will be given.  Is this just one of God's little pranks?  Or is the Universe merely a godless one, where biology does mindless but ugly things?  Will this all have long term effects for religion, as people wonder why God does these things, or allows them?  Will the religious, going to churches, mosques, synagogues et al, and spreading this virus being doing damage to the reputation of religion, long term?  Will this in retrospective, be a teaching moment for civilization?

They're in it for the money. 
Out of one side of their mouths they claim to know why things happen, 
out of the other, they say that no one can know. 

At least they admit, in light of their beligions, what they observe makes no sense at all. 
And then they turn around and say human logic proves their particular god(s) are the correct ones. 

Isaiah 55:8-9
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.

Job 36:26
"Behold, God is exalted, and we do not know Him; The number of His years is unsearchable.

Deuteronomy 29:29
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.

Job 5:9
Who does great and unsearchable things, Wonders without number.

Job 11:7
"Can you discover the depths of God? Can you discover the limits of the Almighty?

Job 36:22-23
"Behold, God is exalted in His power; Who is a teacher like Him? "Who has appointed Him His way, And who has said, 'You have done wrong'?

Psalm 139:1-6
O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.read more.

Proverbs 25:2
It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Isaiah 40:28
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired His understanding is inscrutable.

Romans 11:33-34
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR?

1 Corinthians 2:11
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

It is amazing how many times the wisdom of this world is mocked in the bible, yet apologetic's relies solely on the wisdom of this world.
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.

Local churches are buying time on TV to say that God will watch out for them if they stay faithful. I see they're realizing what a hit to faith this will be in the long run and are trying to do some damage control.

(04-04-2020, 09:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Local churches are buying time on TV to say that God will watch out for them if they stay faithful. I see they're realizing what a hit to faith this will be in the long run and are trying to do some damage control.

I saw a Billy Graham Jr. religious advertising that seemed to go on for 20 minutes but realistically it was more like 45 seconds.  He was calling everyone to pray for the coronavirus to go be prayed away.  I muted the tv.  Stupid religious bastards.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020...this-year/
Televangelist Kenneth Copeland, who said a couple of weeks ago that God told him the pandemic would “be over much sooner than you think” (but still wants you to tithe even if you’ve lost your job), and who delivered a prayer last week that said COVID-19 is “finished,” and who delivered another prayer in which he literally spat on the virus, just made his craziest proclamation yet.

During a livestream yesterday, in which he spoke to a few close associates in an otherwise empty church, Copeland told his Christian crew that God told him he needed to raise $300 million this year…
This ministry will receive, this year — are you listening to me now? God just kept laying this on me, just kept laying this on me… of course, I didn’t have any idea all of this [virus] mess was gonna happen, but God did — and the Lord had already dropped in my spirit and in my heart several years ago — about three years ago — that the income of this ministry, this year, had to be $300 million!

Well, if you gonna grift with Jesus, grift BIG.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, brunumb, Gwaithmir

(04-04-2020, 10:12 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:   Stupid religious bastards.
Triple redundant. Hug

(04-04-2020, 10:20 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020...this-year/
Televangelist Kenneth Copeland, who said a couple of weeks ago that God told him the pandemic would “be over much sooner than you think” (but still wants you to tithe even if you’ve lost your job), and who delivered a prayer last week that said COVID-19 is “finished,” and who delivered another prayer in which he literally spat on the virus, just made his craziest proclamation yet.

During a livestream yesterday, in which he spoke to a few close associates in an otherwise empty church, Copeland told his Christian crew that God told him he needed to raise $300 million this year…
This ministry will receive, this year — are you listening to me now? God just kept laying this on me, just kept laying this on me… of course, I didn’t have any idea all of this [virus] mess was gonna happen, but God did — and the Lord had already dropped in my spirit and in my heart several years ago — about three years ago — that the income of this ministry, this year, had to be $300 million!

https://apnews.com/84060707db5c4d465b85c7859145139b
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-04-2020, 11:07 AM)Alan V Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:52 AM)mordant Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 05:23 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Will this in retrospective, be a teaching moment for civilization?

You're kidding, right?

Of course we will learn, but just not all of us.

Indeed.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/05/kenneth-c...or-church/
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Alan V

(04-07-2020, 03:58 PM)mordant Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:52 AM)mordant Wrote: You're kidding, right?

Indeed.

Wow!  That's really stupid.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • mordant

(04-07-2020, 03:58 PM)mordant Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:52 AM)mordant Wrote: You're kidding, right?

Indeed.

Man, that just blows!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • mordant

You doubting fools....

The Lord sayeth unto the nation...

''Because you have mocked me I decree this Virus will continue just like i don't exist, your science and logic will have to sort this one out, this word will come to pass and is a sure sign the I The Lord liveth''

Signed

God
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.
The following 2 users Like possibletarian's post:
  • Alan V, mordant

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020...by-easter/

Pat Robertson poots again.

And I think it is time for the church to go on the attack! Instead of just cowering in our cars and in our social distancing, I think it’s time that we stand up and speak the word of God and command that thing to leave us!

We have authority in the name of Jesus Christ as His servants. And the Bible says, “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I’ll hear their prayer and forgive their sin and heal their land.”

And I believe it’s time that we speak out boldly and in all the churches, coming in to Easter in this holy week, I think it’s time in every congregation, instead of saying, “Oh, we’re gonna be COVID-sensitive or we’re gonna catch something,” let’s rebuke this thing in the name of Jesus! And I want you to pray with me right now. I just believe it is time to go on the attack! We are not supposed to be fearful!

“Fear not,” God said, “I’m with you. I’m gonna deliver you.”

Go to church, get covid-19 and SPREAD IT ALL AROUND! Cause Pat Robertson said it can't hurt us if we pray real hard. Poot! Poot! Poooottttt!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • SYZ

(04-07-2020, 03:58 PM)mordant Wrote: https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/05/kenneth-c...or-church/

I noticed that Copeland and his associates were all practicing social distancing while banishing covid-19.
Oh ye of little faith   Chuckle
No gods necessary

This is an image of the two most reprehensible individuals in America at the moment...

[Image: pat-robertson.jpeg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-04-2020, 10:20 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020...this-year/

Of course, God is all-wise and all-powerful, but he always needs money. He just doesn't seem to be able to handle money! Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dancefortwo

It looks like lots of toxic Christians are yelping about laws that prevent people congregating in large numbers And politicians nationwide are giving churches exemptions from such laws. The TCs insist on going to church, convinced God will protect them from that old virus. We have the makings of a mass Darwin award event. I am going to start calling this the "Church Virus" when the inevitable happens, and this virus spreads like wildfire after Easter services.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • brunumb

(04-08-2020, 01:03 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: It looks like lots of toxic Christians are yelping about laws that prevent people congregating in large numbers  And politicians nationwide are giving churches exemptions from such laws.  The TCs insist on going to church, convinced God will protect them from that old virus.  We have the makings of a mass Darwin award event.  I am going to start calling this the "Church Virus" when the inevitable happens, and this virus spreads like wildfire after Easter services.

If the ignorant fools wouldn't spread it to the rest of us, I'd be okay with them congregating all they want.

(04-08-2020, 01:03 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: We have the makings of a mass Darwin award event.

No, we don't.

Getting other people killed while getting yourself killed disqualifies you from winning the Darwin Award.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov