Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

I am feeling nostalgic, so I am going to rewatch some 80s films.

First, Teen Witch

Quote:High school misfit Louise, at a loss for romance, discovers magical abilities, but the teenage witch finds that she cannot conjure herself true love, so what?

Night of the Comet

Quote:A comet wipes out most of life on Earth, leaving two Valley Girls fighting against cannibal zombies and a sinister group of scientists.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, M.Linoge, Bcat

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Quote:Henry, a drifter, commits a series of brutal murders, supposedly operating with impunity.

(03-26-2020, 09:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Quote:Henry, a drifter, commits a series of brutal murders, supposedly operating with impunity.

Amateur.

Quote:Gary Leon Ridgway (born February 18, 1949), also known as the Green River Killer, is an American serial killer. He was initially convicted of 48 separate murders. As part of his plea bargain, another conviction was added, bringing the total number of convictions to 49, making him the second most prolific serial killer in United States history according to confirmed murders.[n 1] He killed many teenage girls and women in the state of Washington during the 1980s and 1990s.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus

(03-26-2020, 09:47 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 09:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Amateur.

Quote:Gary Leon Ridgway (born February 18, 1949), also known as the Green River Killer, is an American serial killer. He was initially convicted of 48 separate murders. As part of his plea bargain, another conviction was added, bringing the total number of convictions to 49, making him the second most prolific serial killer in United States history according to confirmed murders.[n 1] He killed many teenage girls and women in the state of Washington during the 1980s and 1990s.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

Killing was so much easier before advancements in forensic science, just saying.

If you find the bodies. Stephen Egger speculated that the most prolific serial killers were the best at hiding their activities and thus would never be caught except by pure accident.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, M.Linoge

I watched A Ghost Story on Netflix. For a low-budget production about a man in a sheet with eye holes watching the world change around him, it's actually pretty interesting.

(03-26-2020, 10:02 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If you find the bodies. Stephen Egger speculated that the most prolific serial killers were the best at hiding their activities and thus would never be caught except by pure accident.

How many people have you killed?

(03-26-2020, 10:38 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:02 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If you find the bodies. Stephen Egger speculated that the most prolific serial killers were the best at hiding their activities and thus would never be caught except by pure accident.

My annual evaluations when I was on combat duty used the term "hundreds". I didn't quibble with the officer who wrote that, despite his not going on patrol with us.
  • Phaedrus

(03-26-2020, 10:40 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:38 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

My annual evaluations when I was on combat duty used the term "hundreds". I didn't quibble with the officer who wrote that, despite his not going on patrol with us.

These serial killers got nothing on you.  Winking

(03-26-2020, 10:49 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:40 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:38 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: How many people have you killed?

These serial killers got nothing on you.  Winking

Just one more service your government offers.
  • Phaedrus

The Last Thing He Wanted (2020)
An American reporter gets involved in a South American arms deal due to her father, back in the Reagan days. Little does she know the deal is connected to the CIA. 

- Meh.

The Coldest Game (2019)
Mansky, an awkward and very alcoholic math professor in '62, is kidnapped and "encouraged" to aid the government by representing America in a U.S. vs Soviet chess tournament, while the tensions in Cuba comes to a head and spies try to outmaneuver each other.  

- Classic spy drama with chess. l like it.

The Platform (2020)
The Hole. An enormous, vertical prison consisting of cells for two, connected by a single shaft. Once per day, a platform descends with food, starting at level 1. Every 30 days your place in the food-chain is shuffled, if you are still alive. Only one rule: You can't keep anything you haven't eaten from the platform once it descends to the next level. 

- Disturbing, interesting; reminds me of Cube

The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
An archaeologist finds the skull of a mythical serpent, to the odd interest of an eccentric exotic woman living by herself in a large mansion nearby. 

- Weird. A kind of British horror comedy with Hugh Grant. 

Stalingrad (2013)
Soviet and German troops having it out over the ruins in Stalingrad in a viscous back and forth, with background stories narrated in the background and civilians right on top. 

- A bit dramatic for a war movie but not bad for a Russian production.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Phaedrus

[Image: 92_up.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Yup.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire.  Wonderful movie.  Highly recommended.....it's on Hulu.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • M.Linoge, Bcat

Too Big to Fail (2011)
The secretary of Treasury working desperately to stop the world economy from collapsing after the crash in 2008.

Wag the Dog (1997)
A small group of men construct a fictional war with Albania to distract from the president’s sex scandal shortly before an election

Brexit - The Uncivil War (2019)
A based on real events story about the political strategist who led the leave campaign in Britain.

The Post (2017)
War whistleblowers regarding Vietnam struggle with whether to publish or not.  

The Butler (2013)
The life of Cecil; a butler serving eight president in times of the civil rights movement, the Vietnam war, the Kennedy assassination, etc.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Bcat

The Hunt

Quote:Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Bcat

Girl on the Third Floor

Quote:Don Koch tries to renovate a rundown mansion with a sordid history for his growing family, only to learn that the house has other plans.
  • M.Linoge

Fantasy Island

Quote:A horror adaptation of the popular '70s TV show about a magical island resort.

"Alita, Battle Angel". Must have been a 'graphic novel' or something. I am watching it in 2-5 spurts.
  • M.Linoge

I See You

Quote:Strange occurrences plague a small town detective and his family as he investigates the disappearance of a young boy.
  • M.Linoge

[Image: Last_legion_poster.jpg]

Interestingly, most of the major actors in this film also appeared in Rome and/or Game of Thrones.  Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge

"1917", a magnificent movie.

(03-31-2020, 05:59 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "1917", a magnificent movie.

I have a coupon for $2 off a rental at Vudu. As soon as I get some more money, that sounds like a good plan.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(03-31-2020, 06:28 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 05:59 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "1917", a magnificent movie.

I have a coupon for $2 off a rental at Vudu.  As soon as I get some more money, that sounds like a good plan.
Stunning movie.