Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 is still FREE to upgrade

If you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Retail or OEM Windows 10 is still free to upgrade to. This will most likely never change. You can also do a completely clean fresh install of Windows 10 using the Genuine Ticket method.

So the question is - why?

Well it's not because Microsoft are altruistic.

The majority of Windows customers, aside from volume licensing customers, never purchase their own Windows license. It's provided for them by the system manufacturer. And those that did purchase retail editions shelled out big money for the product.

Most computers running Windows 7 have old out of date hardware. Charging people running old slow systems to upgrade to an OS that may not be fully compatible with their systems is a very bad business plan. On the other hand Microsoft's "partners" (both system manufacturers and retail computer shops) are probably not thrilled about the idea of Microsoft giving their customers Windows 10 for free.

Microsoft are not technically able to prevent Windows 7 OEM customers from validating a Windows 10 license. Let me repeat - they can't stop them even if they wanted to, and this would be a big reason why they've left it free for everyone with OEM or retail licenses. Windows OEM uses a pre-activation scheme where the manufacturer's clean install off their product installation disks installs an activated Windows without ever going online, this is known as SLP activation. Windows 7 used shared generic product keys (manufacturer specific) across thousands upon thousands of computers - not the "sticker key". Windows would validate the license by looking up the SLP certificate embedded in the motherboard BIOS. Windows 8 and 8.1 changed to a newer system that embedded a unique product key in each OEM motherboard (this is why Windows 8 OEM stickers don't show product keys). Anyway let's say you upgrade an OEM computer to Windows 10 - later you want to re-install, if you completely wipe the hard drive (or replace it entirely) the Microsoft server can't tell the difference between an OEM computer that was upgraded prior to the 29 July 2016 "deadline" and one upgraded later.

So why does Microsoft deny that users can still upgrade for free?

[Image: RuFWG1O.png]

Because there are competing interests, that's why. Retailers and system manufacturers don't want Microsoft telling customers that Windows 10 is free to upgrade to. Microsoft themselves would prefer to sell licenses to those prepared to pay for them, and they also don't want people who bought a license thinking they wasted their money on something they could have had for free. Let's go through their Upgrade FAQ claims:

(1.) The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.

That is true, however you can still upgrade for free using the Windows 10 media creation tool.

(2.) Yes, the media creation tool and Windows 10 installation media (ISO files) are available for customers to install Windows 10. If you’re installing Windows 10 for the first time, you’ll need to enter a valid Windows 10 product key or buy a full version of Windows 10 during setup for this tool to work.

No you don't need to enter a product key, and in fact you won't even be prompted to enter one. If Microsoft actually wanted people to pay for an upgrade, they wouldn't design the tool to not even ask for a product key! If you have a retail license (including an upgrade licence) or an OEM license and Windows 7/8/8.1 is installed and "activated", and you run the media creation tool and select "upgrade this PC" then it will install Windows 10, select its own product key, and automatically activate. It's only enterprise customers that need to purchase Windows 10 for the tool to work.

(3.) After you upgrade to Windows 10, you can reinstall or do a clean installation on the same device. You won't need a product key to reactivate Windows 10 on the same hardware.

That's completely true for OEM licenses, so long as you don't replace your motherboard. For retail licenses you'd better not delete the hidden System Reserved partition prior to doing a fresh install or it won't find the "digital license".

At the end of the day we mustn't forget that Windows 10 is a privacy-invading nightmare. Microsoft abandoned their platform-neutral approach to one that resembled Apple and Google - complete with Advertising ID and App Store. Because it has an App Store Microsoft can afford to give it away for free, but in doing so they've completely betrayed their customers.
The following 1 user Likes Aractus's post:
  • Mathilda

Alternatively we can all dance naked around the big idol. ;-)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

FYI I confirmed the behaviour on the system I rebuilt yesterday (it'll be rolled-back to Windows 7 tomorrow). I cloned the SSD so I just have to swap out the cloned one for the original. This was a system never previously upgraded to Windows 10, using a retail upgrade license for Windows 7 Ultimate. Retail ASUS motherboard - I have the box, the installation CD and the manual - I didn't actually do a check for SLP in the BIOS but I guarantee there isn't any (the system was upgraded from Vista, it has a retail Windows Vista COA attached - I can check the manufacture date of the motherboard, pretty sure it's pre-2009). Getting Windows 7 to activate was more difficult than getting Windows 10 to do so as it required the two simple steps I outlined yesterday, whereas Windows 10 activated right away with a different product key that it automatically applied (i.e. not the Win 7 Ult product key).

This is common business practice. If you look at sale ads, you will often see that the prices aren't advertised, because it's lower than the manufacturer's MAP. This is a variation on that, seems to me.

Well yes, but it's still very different to what Microsoft did previously with their operating systems. It was never the loss-leader before...

There are things to like about Windows 10 and things to like about Windows 7. Windows 7 seemed more stable and efficient. I guess it's just a matter of preference. A lot of software won't run on Windows 7 and keeping it secure is a nuisance given that it's EOL, so running Windows 10 is just easier. I'm running Server 2019 Essentials on my file server, but because that doesn't support consumer OS backup software, I may switch that to Windows 7 or Windows 10. Maybe Linux. I'm also thinking Linux for my video server. No clue what to run on the next machine. I just discovered that I've got an Acronis disk cloning program license I didn't know that I had. So I have four licenses, and one or maybe two machines for it. I may sell the unopened copy.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(01-12-2020, 09:03 PM)Dānu Wrote: There are things to like about Windows 10 and things to like about Windows 7.  Windows 7 seemed more stable and efficient.  I guess it's just a matter of preference.  A lot of software won't run on Windows 7 and keeping it secure is a nuisance given that it's EOL, so running Windows 10 is just easier.  I'm running Server 2019 Essentials on my file server, but because that doesn't support consumer OS backup software, I may switch that to Windows 7 or Windows 10.  Maybe Linux.  I'm also thinking Linux for my video server.  No clue what to run on the next machine.  I just discovered that I've got an Acronis disk cloning program license I didn't know that I had.  So I have four licenses, and one or maybe two machines for it.  I may sell the unopened copy.

Apart from my Imac, I have a laptop with  Windows 10. Sadly, its processor is far too slow for the job.  So I  installed  Linux  Mint as part of a dual boot system.   Using Linux halved the response time.  Today there are a large number of free Linux apps  available. I use Linux as my sole OS on the laptop.

Thanks for this. I've upgraded my desktop now. Unfortunately my laptop couldn't be upgraded because it was unable to determine whether it could be. I had previously installed GWX (I think) to get rid of the annoying messages about upgrading in the past and I am wondering if that has removed some information that the media creation tool is looking for.

Now to update my Linux OS.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Aractus

(03-25-2020, 08:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Thanks for this. I've upgraded my desktop now. Unfortunately my laptop couldn't be upgraded because it was unable to determine whether it could be. I had previously installed GWX (I think) to get rid of the annoying messages about upgrading in the past and I am wondering if that has removed some information that the media creation tool is looking for.

I bought a Windows 10, Weirdly unfriendly.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Chas, skyking

(03-25-2020, 09:10 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Thanks for this. I've upgraded my desktop now. Unfortunately my laptop couldn't be upgraded because it was unable to determine whether it could be. I had previously installed GWX (I think) to get rid of the annoying messages about upgrading in the past and I am wondering if that has removed some information that the media creation tool is looking for.

I  bought a Windows 10,  Weirdly unfriendly.

I had zero problems. But then I'm an old man.

I hardly ever use Windows, especially since I haven't played a computer game in 3 years. But I am working from home because of the pandemic and need a modern Windows set up to check that my code works on it. Now that I have upgraded, I'm considering giving Borderlands 3 a go.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Imho Win10 is the best Win since several iterations.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(03-25-2020, 10:52 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Imho Win10 is the best Win since several iterations.
I thought 3.2 was pretty cool.

I remember when Win 3 came out.  It wasn't an OS as such, but ran over DOS. I still have my
upgraded Win 3.1 discs LOL.  And I still occasionally use the C:\  prompt even 30 years later.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(03-25-2020, 11:36 AM)SYZ Wrote: I remember when Win 3 came out.  It wasn't an OS as such, but ran over DOS. I still have my
upgraded Win 3.1 discs LOL.  And I still occasionally use the C:\  prompt even 30 years later.

Command line = godlike powers. Girl_yes2
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

Try reinstalling the original version of windows on your laptop as a clean install (backup all data first, obviously), and then run the media creation tool. You'd be advised to use the laptop manufacturer's original system restore media if available.

(03-25-2020, 10:52 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Imho Win10 is the best Win since several iterations.

Windows 7 is better.  There is nothing compelling about 10 and they removed all kinds of conveniences (not for the first time).
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, SYZ

I'm more than happy with Win 8.1.     Sun

List of features removed in Windows 10.

I've been using GWX Control Panel for some years now to block Win 10 or any other Win updates.

I might make a clone and try this, thanks.

They should pay people to use Windows 10.
Test

All these years, no problem.

I can get Windows 8.1 for about $12. I'll have to look this over later.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I left the MS orbit years ago. when they went to $149.95 for Windows 98, and only for one computer. Me with three computers, that was out of my price range. Then with later Windows, the professional, no bullshit Windows systems were only available to big commercial users. Not me. I loaded Mandrake 7.0 from a CD I got from a Linux magazine and never looked back. The only reason I had used Windows in the past was for running Autocad at work.

I have a shiny new 1 TB SSD and I am about to upgrade my woefully out of date Mageia system to Gentoo. Which I dread. I hate upgrading and configuring stuff wholesale, so I want a rolling distro. I love KDE 4 but that is EOL so I am sad. Maybe try Enlightenment.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(03-26-2020, 05:41 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I left the MS orbit years ago.  when they went to $149.95 for Windows 98, and only for one computer.  Me with three computers, that was out of my price range.  Then with later Windows, the professional, no bullshit Windows systems were only available to big commercial users.  Not me.  I loaded Mandrake 7.0 from a CD I got from a Linux magazine and never looked back.  The only reason I had used Windows in the past was for running Autocad at work.

I have a shiny new 1 TB SSD and I am about to upgrade my woefully out of date Mageia system to Gentoo.  Which I dread.  I hate upgrading and configuring stuff wholesale, so I want a rolling distro.  I love KDE 4 but that is EOL so I am sad.  Maybe try Enlightenment.

Lot's of time, trouble and effort. Is it worth the money saved?

I never had any success with Linux Ubuntu.  Altogether too "clumsy" as an OS, and largely unintuitive.

And which sorts of reasons I'd be guessing is why nobody's using it.      Dodgy

Desktop OS market share according to NetMarketShare for September 2019. (Chrome OS is also based on the Linux kernel.)

Windows...  87.76%
macOS... 9.61%
Linux... 2.06%
Unknown... 0.38%
Chrome OS... 0.18%