Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
why your prayers often, if not always fail

(02-05-2020, 03:49 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: When I was a boy, my prayers to God were answered at about the same 50% success rate as my wishes on my lucky rabbit's foot.  Pope

When I was a teenager, I used a pagan Goddess incantation that had the same success rate.

the point I make in the video was... those prayers.. were not prayers.

Those where wishes.

God is not in the wish fulfillment business.

God answers prayers/also defined in the video.

Wrong! To wit:

“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:24)

“If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.” (John 14:14)

“And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” (Matthew 21:22)

“Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified by the Son.” (John 14:13)

“Prayers never bring anything. They may bring solace to the sap, the ignorant, the aboriginal and the lazy, but to the enlightened it is the same as asking Santa Claus to bring you something for Xmas.” (W.C. Fields, from a letter to his wife, Aug. 7, 1922)
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(02-05-2020, 08:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Drich Wrote: oh, that's right you not the smartest atheist here... you think that falsifiability is the magic bullet to all things religious. Again sport maybe when you get a little more fuzz on your legs you will and can understand falsifiability only applies to a scientific discussion.

You claim your god exists.
nope. As I am not in a position to define existence for God.
I claim if you meet God on his terms He will provide everything you need to establish and maintain your belief.

Quote: You claim that it is real.
I claim my experience is real. which will be different from your own.

Quote: You claim it created the universe. 
No. I recite in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Quote:You claim it answers prayers,  
No I point out you do not understand the word or meaning of the word prayer if you would watch the video..

Quote:yet you have never demonstrated that any of these claims are true....
1 did not make the claim you think I made, in fact you are only claiming these thing not because I made them but because you are pre programmed to think this is the christian position.

I in fact carefully stay away from such claims and choose my words carefully.
The very fact you think I claim any of this is proof you can only arguem a set anti god script most atheist learn when they are still in sunday school.

2) I offer my life as 'proof.'

Quote:.except by making more claims to back up your original claim or pointing to a book of claims, the Bible.
HELLO???? Show me where I did this once... Not on your script of what christians typically say, but show me where I did this..

Quote:  We may as well be discussing Magical Garden Fairies and Invisible Unicorns since there is no way to falsify these two supernatural entities either.   All you have is a pathetically unfalsifiable claim.
indeed because no matter what i say in the real world you are only able to argue point typical christian make against typical atheist. it is like talking to bar mitzvah boy.. you are on a script and nothing I say has any bearing on what you think my position is.

maybe you should go back to calling for falsifiability..

(02-05-2020, 08:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 07:46 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 06:17 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: But, he can't be half so condescending without it.  Dodgy
I agreed and drop sport...

I still got hot rod, fire ball, noob, junior, fruit cup, pudding pop, snowflake, b-holes, a-holes, and don't forget the emojis..

We know you'll find a way to be insulting.
It's such a Christian thing to do.

following the examples of Christ.

wolves, snakes, fools, blind guides, sons of satan, hypocrites, chaff, goats, weeds are a few of the things My Jesus found in the bible said to the anti god heathens of his day... Not to mention flashing a whip and beating the b-jesus out of the monsters making money off the backs of well meaning people coming to worship God.

Quote:Not to mention flashing a whip and beating the b-jesus out of the monsters making money off the backs of well meaning people coming to worship God.

Thanks for demonstrating that you know fuckall about how the temple worked. 

You redefine stupid on a daily basis.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(02-05-2020, 11:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Jesus was a Jew dear. He was an OT Jew. 

You know nothing about Christianity. 
ROFL2  
Quote:Your drivel is worthless nonsense.
is this you new non denomination hill you want to be made a fool on?
do you really need me to spell it out?
Jesus is the Head of the church. It is the author of this faith and creator. So when a disciple of this new religion/Christianity Askes Jesus the Christ how he should pray, and if it is different than the way it used do it, his new example as the leader of this new religion now superceeds all other traditional forms of prayer.

Again buckster, unless we are OT jews it does not matter how OT jews pray, WHEN OUR LEADER/AUTHOR OF OUR NEW RELIGION GIVES US A DIFFERENT WAY OF DOING THINGS!!!

Quote:As for your "in my name" crap, it is the same as if a man who has money in a bank authorizes someone to withdraw it, we are said to do it "in his name". If a son authorizes us to apply to his father for aid because we are his friends, we do it in the name of the son, and the favor will be bestowed on us from the regard which the parent has to his son, and through him to all his friends. So the "in my name" means you are permitted to apply to God in the name of his son, because God is in him well pleased Matthew 3:17, and because we are the friends of his son he answers our requests. Though you are undeserving, yet he loves you on account of his Son, and because he sees in you his image. All the rest is BS. He said ask "anything". Clearly that never happens. Stop moving the goal posts. 
no.
You are trying to explain to me what you think this terms mean by defining your own ideas and definitions of these word..

HEY STOOP-ED I gave you a formal definition that limits the action done in someone's name to the limits they themselves would apply.

Do you understand unga-bunga? or is your mind still stuck in cave man mode?

You are telling what you think backed by NOTHING.

I Gave you a officially formal documented meaning of the term, that includes limits your person bs does not include.

Dummy the argument was over back then. why do you argue established definitions and proovable history, against what you think is true?? Are you so wrapped up in your own pride and hype you see everything you know as the only possible right standard??

I know no one has taught you to take a punch to the face like a man before, here' your opportunity. take this learning lesson apply it, better yourself and come back with adjusted material. stop pretending what you think a term means has any legit bearing on what it actually means. It simply shows you/shows an honest man rather how far out of touch he is from reality. You are wrong. I used a recognised standard to prove this, you do not have a leg to stand on. Time to be a man and move on. also if you are going to call me names suck it up when it is your turn to be called a name. 

You want the name calling to stop it is simple. stop calling me names. other know I can go as long as you can but my word actually reflect your personal shortcomings and failings.

Respect to me, means that much more respect to you.

(02-06-2020, 07:09 PM)Drich Wrote: do you really need me to spell it out?
Jesus is the Head of the church. It is the author of this faith and creator. So when a disciple of this new religion/Christianity Askes Jesus the Christ how he should pray, and if it is different than the way it used do it, his new example as the leader of this new religion now superceeds all other traditional forms of prayer.

I didn't know Christianity Askes was a religion.
No. No one cares what you say about anything. You're an untrained ignoramus.
Jesus (if he existed at all) was an apocalyptic Jew. He thought the end-times were imminent.
An Apocalyptic Jew who thought the end was within the lifetime "of some standing here" would not be starting new "religion".
The PROOF is that in Acts, the disciples continue to go to the Temple, continued to pray JUST AS BEFORE. Have you thought of reading the Bible some day ?
In fact he told you dumb shits that's NOT what he was about. Matthew 5:18 "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
All is not accomplished. He never said he was starting a new religion. As usual, you make up this shit to suit the day.
Last week it was one thing, this week another. What are you cooking up for next week ?
Jesus said "Ask anything in my name, and it shall be done" .... and here we have you calling Jesus a liar.
LOL
BTW, Genesis says nothing about Jesus creating anything. You claim to be Bible based. You made that part up. The Bible says nowhere that Jesus was the creator. Nowhere does the NT (or OT) say Jesus was the creator. You're fantasy based ... not Bible based. In fact here's some proof that what you claim is not true. "The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate, though he had decided to let him go. (Acts 3:13). A "servant" is not a god. Jesus was never thought of as a god by the Jews. Ever. The only creator the Jews ever had is Yahweh. Not Jesus. Don't they have Sunday School down there ?
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Gwaithmir

How can you be so exceptionally dense, and still manage to breathe?
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Deesse23, Dancefortwo

(02-05-2020, 11:46 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Drich Wrote: Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. when that fuzz kicks in and you brain starts releasing all of the chemicals needed for rational adult conversation you will understand God does not fit in the purview of science as God by definition is not part of the physical and natural world. (which make you look stoo-pid for trying to shoe horn a theological discussion into a subject that allows you control?!?!) 

Understand we can still have a discussion about God under the rules and preview of theological discussion or even sociology neither of which require falsifiability. Wink You panic stop goto of falsifiability is nothing more than an intellectual crutch for those not smart enough to have a simple theological discussion. Is this how you wish to be seen?

Do you wish to be view as intellectually stunted or disabled because of your continued use of a topical crutch?

Science is the systematic study of reality.  If your God is not subject to scientific inquiry then he's not part of reality - he's not real.

Ah, no. As 'reality' is a point of philosophy. Science is not the study of philosophy but Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. 
The following 1 user Likes Drich's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(02-06-2020, 07:54 PM)Drich Wrote: Science is not the study of philosophy but Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

And we call the physical and natural world "reality."

What experiments and observations could we use to determine if a god is present?  How would we blind the experiments?  How could we distinguish between the Christian god, some other religion's god, or some other entity pretending to be a god?
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Dripshit thinks "gods" are real.  He's a hopeless case.
  • Gwaithmir

(02-05-2020, 02:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The fact is, the NT says "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it SHALL BE DONE".
John 14;13. It's simply false. The end.

Dear God, please stop Drich from posting any more of his imbecility. Nothing drastic please, just have a word with him.

(02-05-2020, 02:38 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: The clip art's an improvement over the sticky notes but watch for copyright.

Your monotone is a bit like being shot in the face with a rhino tranq dart.

Prayer doesn't work for the same reason that faith doesn't move mountains. It's all wishful thinking.

Error 404: God not found. Please check your reality's settings and try again.

mountains of doubt ever heard this term?

Only from people who had to invent new types of mountains for their faith to move.

When I was a child I used to pray to god and ask that everybody be made immortal. The reason was simple. I'd spotted a pretty obvious flaw in the whole dying and going to heaven notion. If these prayers had any effect on me it was to make me into an atheist. I'm still not sure if that was an epic fail or an ironic success but the theists haven't clued to it in either sense.

The notion that you can only know god if you're a true believer would be circular reasoning if it were any sort of reasoning at all. The claim that you have to truly believe for prayer to work is similarly ridiculous. We've checked.  It doesn't work for believers, it doesn't work for atheists, and it doesn't work for people who simply aren't praying. Tellingly, the failure rates are identical.

Drich's argument that prayer is intended to change yourself is one of the more damning indictments against god. A quick review of the correlation between religion and various social ills would suggest that prayer is not changing anybody for the better and whatever god you are praying to is a malicious bastard.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Tres Leches, Gwaithmir

(02-06-2020, 07:54 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:46 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Drich Wrote: Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. when that fuzz kicks in and you brain starts releasing all of the chemicals needed for rational adult conversation you will understand God does not fit in the purview of science as God by definition is not part of the physical and natural world. (which make you look stoo-pid for trying to shoe horn a theological discussion into a subject that allows you control?!?!) 

Understand we can still have a discussion about God under the rules and preview of theological discussion or even sociology neither of which require falsifiability. Wink You panic stop goto of falsifiability is nothing more than an intellectual crutch for those not smart enough to have a simple theological discussion. Is this how you wish to be seen?

Do you wish to be view as intellectually stunted or disabled because of your continued use of a topical crutch?

Science is the systematic study of reality.  If your God is not subject to scientific inquiry then he's not part of reality - he's not real.

Ah, no. As 'reality' is a point of philosophy. Science is not the study of philosophy but Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. 

The thing with Ditch is that he wants his god to be supernatural and therefore undetectable.  But he still wants his god to have effect on the natural world, however if this is the case then this god would easily be detectable and demonstrably so.   Ditch only wants his god to be detectable when he says so and then when we call him out on it he hides him in back in his imaginary, supernatural world again.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Deesse23, SYZ, Chas

[Image: mark-11-24.jpg]

It appears the invisible god produces invisible benefits.  How convenient for the idiots who so desperately want to believe in horseshit!
  • Gwaithmir

(02-04-2020, 09:17 PM)Drich Wrote:

in addition to the subject matter I would like any criticisms on the type of video and format. do you like this better than the last few? ect.

any suggestions on a simple editor or a source for clip art ect..

You should title your thread "why my prayers often, if not always fail".

Walking into a room full of atheists to say why their prayers fail is like telling a group of toddlers why their attempts to manage a pizza restaurant fail. Doesn't make sense and you'll just get blank stares.

Another suggestion - post your thread on a Christian website. 

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 4 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Deesse23, Mark, Gwaithmir

Zzzzzzzz.

Terrible sound quality. Plus a video full of assertions rather arguments supported by texts, references, etc. Maybe a course in rhetoric would be of some use?
god, ugh

(02-04-2020, 09:29 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: No god exists, that's why prayers fail.

That could explain a lot.  However it might also be the same reason I never win the lotto.

Show ContentSpoiler:
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(02-07-2020, 02:08 AM)Mark Wrote: That could explain a lot.  However it might also be the same reason I never win the lotto.

To four decimal places the probability that you will win Lotto is the same whether you buy a ticket or not. Nod
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Mark

(02-06-2020, 10:25 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:38 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: The clip art's an improvement over the sticky notes but watch for copyright.

Your monotone is a bit like being shot in the face with a rhino tranq dart.

Prayer doesn't work for the same reason that faith doesn't move mountains. It's all wishful thinking.

Error 404: God not found. Please check your reality's settings and try again.

mountains of doubt ever heard this term?

Only from people who had to invent new types of mountains for their faith to move.

I've got the Drip-shit on ignore, so I only see it when it's quoted. Did it really attempt to use a modern, English colloquialism to justify an iron age claim?!? That takes a very special kind of dumb-ass.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(02-07-2020, 01:06 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Another suggestion - restrict all your posting to Christian websites.

Fixed that for ya, T. Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Tres Leches

I went ahead and clicked play. Based on the first minute and a half, I noted that it had nice visuals and transitions between slides, and the speaking voice was not crisp but pleasant and audible.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Drich

Quote:I've got the Drip-shit on ignore, so I only see it when it's quoted. Did it really attempt to use a modern, English colloquialism to justify an iron age claim?!? That takes a very special kind of dumb-ass.

Dripshit is a special kind of dumb-ass.  In fact, he is their king.

Im not going to watch any of Drichs videos, for the same reason i am not going to watch any casting shows or jungle camp, etc.:

I feel embarrassed for people when they publicly humiliate themselves, i dont feel any joy or satisfaction when watching them do it. Judging by Drichs posts on this forum (i got him on ignore in the meantime, it just too insane) any video of him about his alleged fringe christian belief is going to be really, really embarrassing.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Chas

(02-07-2020, 06:05 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Im not going to watch any of Drichs videos, for the same reason i am not going to watch any casting shows or jungle camp, etc.:

I feel embarrassed for people when they publicly humiliate themselves, i dont feel any joy or satisfaction when watching them do it. Judging by Drichs posts on this forum (i got him on ignore in the meantime, it just too insane) any video of him about his alleged fringe christian belief is going to be really, really embarrassing.

That all may be true.  But on the downside, if you don't watch the video, you may go to your grave never knowing..."The Problem with Prayer."

ROFL2
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches, Drich