Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why faith fails

why faith fails
Quote:Drich Wrote: The purpose or ultimate goal of christianity is what? to inherit eternal life.

Poor little Dripshit.  Such an insecure fuck that he can't imagine the fucking universe surviving without HIM.

Grow up, Drippy.  You aren't that important.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, brunumb, Astreja

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 08:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
Quote:   the millions of chinese brought up under the threat of death if caught worshiping any god and still reports of them experiencing angels and jesus. without any real knowledge of him.

He talked to millions of Chinese. 
Right. 
Angel
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, grympy

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 07:42 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 12:59 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:33 PM)Drich Wrote: If God sat or even sent an angel to sit with you for 20 mins answered every question you had without asking them, told you of your life past present and future and conversed with you without you saying anything out loud, would you need 'science' to tell you it was ok to believe in God?

No, but I think I would need a doctor or two to work out wtf had happened to my brain.   Panic
so in the little box you  live, in the world group think/science has created  in there is nothing out side of it? science knows everything?

" Group think?"  Hahaha. Yet, here you are using a computer created by the same scientific method that was used to establish evolution as a fact.   I bet you hop in a car every day which used scientific principals and methods.  A cell phone and GPS uses the theory of relativity.  If you fly it's based on the theory of flight and other scientific theories and physics.   If you watch TV it uses science.  The clean water you drink is potable and safe to drink because it's based on the germ theory of disease.  Everything you use everyday of your life in the modern world began with a group of scientists thinking.  Next time you turn on a light thank a group of scientist!
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball, brunumb, Chas

why faith fails
I know I shouldn't ask, but what does "experiencing Jesus" mean ?

If L'il Drippy had chest pain, would he seek out science (medicine) ? Oh that's groupthink.
He would probably just pray. Oh wait. He wouldn't.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 08:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:28 PM)Drich Wrote: God is proven daily to billions. only 2.4% of the population says there is no proof. It is more accurate to say god does not cater to this 2.4% who want Him to meet them on their terms.

Not so here in Australia, where the 2016 federal census reported nearly 30.1% of Australians
defined themselves as atheists. A further 9.6% either did not state a religion, or gave a response
that was unclear, meaning that 39.7% of Australians did not expressly state a religious affiliation.
https://web.archive.org/web/201707100209...Summary~25

Your 2.4% needs a citation if it's to be believed.     Dodgy

---AND that doesn't count the quite large numbers of Aussies which gave their religion as Jedi.  What  can I say, Aussies hate humbug.  Probably why so many of us have developed a healthy contempt for politicians and  clergy . .Latterly especially catholic priests, I  can't think why   Angel
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • brunumb, SYZ

why faith fails
[Image: atheist-atheism-anti-god-quotes-08.jpg]

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:28 PM)Drich Wrote: God is proven daily to billions. only 2.4% of the population says there is no proof. It is more accurate to say god does not cater to this 2.4% who want Him to meet them on their terms.

Ad populum fallacy. 
Also false. 
People of faith do not claim to have ''proof". They call themselves "people of faith", (Drich's personal cult is not Christianity). 
He's a hypocrite. he aligns with them when he thinks it's convenient, and rejects the mainline Christian positions on most everything.

This guy knows less than zero about world religions.
Test
  • grympy

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 07:42 PM)Drich Wrote: so in the little box you  live, in the world group think/science has created  in there is nothing out side of it? science knows everything?

You have it all backwards.  Religion is what traps you in a box with its promises and lies.  Science has provided us with a wealth of knowledge even if it is not everything.  Religion has provided us with nothing but division and angst.
No gods necessary
The following 4 users Like brunumb's post:
  • SYZ, Gwaithmir, Chas, grympy

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 07:45 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 01:03 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: The proof I sought was/is offered to everyone but only on god's terms.

Another classic from "The Great Omnibus of Christian Loopholes".

a loop hole between only you and god. no one else moderates no one knows no one else gains anything, this is not even a verbal thing. it is a decision that happens internally. so then what is the purpose of the 'christian loop hole' if christianity has nothing to gain? isn't that the purpose of the loop hole?

The loophole allows you to cover your arse when the proof that is sought doesn't eventuate.  Instead of admitting that there is no God there, you just pass it off as not being what God wants to do.  Pfft!
No gods necessary

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 08:27 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I bet you hop in a car every day which used scientific principals and methods.  A cell phone and GPS uses the theory of relativity.  If you fly it's based on the theory of flight and other scientific theories and physics.   If you watch TV it uses science.  The clean water you drink is potable and safe to drink because it's based on the germ theory of disease.  Everything you use everyday of your life in the modern world began with a group of scientists thinking.  Next time you turn on a light thank a group of scientist!

Yabut Christians invented the Bible!   Whistling
No gods necessary

why faith fails
Jews invented the bible.

Bastards.

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 11:16 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 08:27 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I bet you hop in a car every day which used scientific principals and methods.  A cell phone and GPS uses the theory of relativity.  If you fly it's based on the theory of flight and other scientific theories and physics.   If you watch TV it uses science.  The clean water you drink is potable and safe to drink because it's based on the germ theory of disease.  Everything you use everyday of your life in the modern world began with a group of scientists thinking.  Next time you turn on a light thank a group of scientist!

One can get much better morality stories from Aesop's Fables and what's better, none of the animals in the stories were killed in a world wide flood.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Paleophyte

why faith fails
(01-18-2020, 12:09 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:16 PM)brunumb Wrote:

One can get much better morality stories from Aesop's Fables and what's better, none of the animals in the stories were killed in a world wide flood.

Yabut, do you get the talking donkeys and bears that eat the little children ?
Test
  • Dancefortwo

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 11:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Jews invented the bible.

Bastards.

I thought they just did the prequel.
No gods necessary

why faith fails
Nah.  The jesus freaks just tacked on some second rate shit to what was already a going concern in the 2d century BC.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Letter-of-Aristeas

Quote:The author’s purpose was to present Judaism in a favourable light to pagans and make strict observance of religious laws attractive to Hellenistic Jews. The author assumed the name of a 2nd-century-bc writer and purported to give a contemporary account of the translation of the Hebrew Pentateuch, the first five books of the Bible, into Greek. He presented himself as a pagan admirer of Judaism who held a high position in the court of Ptolemy II Philadelphus (285–246 bc) in Alexandria.

"It's all bullshit....and it's bad for ya."

-- George Carlin
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

why faith fails
(01-18-2020, 05:04 AM)brunumb Wrote:

Bastards.

That was the old god who loved the smell of burning flesh and the cries of drowning babies and grandmothers and little kittens. The new god went to anger management classes and doesn't do that anymore.  Now he only threatens to burn people for all eternity if he doesn't get the love he wants.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • mordant

why faith fails
Faith fails because people are told that it can move mountains and are then disappointed when it can't even manage molehills.
The following 5 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • grympy, brunumb, Deesse23, Gwaithmir, Phaedrus

why faith fails
(01-18-2020, 03:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 05:04 AM)brunumb Wrote:

Bastards.

That was the old god who loved the smell of burning flesh and the cries of drowning babies and grandmothers and little kittens. The new god went to anger management classes and doesn't do that anymore.  Now he only threatens to burn people for all eternity if he doesn't get the love he wants.

But...but...but.... the morons insist that it is the SAME GOD!

why faith fails
Faith fails because it is, 100 parts preposterous drivel and 0 parts logic or reason.
The following 4 users Like no one's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Minimalist, Phaedrus, Finite Monkeys

why faith fails
We have the spread of the cult of Santa Muerte among Mexicans in Mexico, and others in the United States. Followers of Santa Muerte have faith in Santa Muerte. There are many of her followers who swear she answers their prayers and helped them. With health issues, love affairs, avoiding legal problems and more. Proof and everything! How can good Christians deny all this evidence of a true faith! The rapid spread of the cult of Santa Muerte has a lot of lessons to teach us about delusions, faith and religion.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

why faith fails
Religious faith succeeds because people are gullible.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Finite Monkeys

why faith fails
Quote:https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/us/car-cr...index.html

A Pennsylvania woman was arrested after allegedly driving into oncoming traffic and hitting a car with three passengers to "test her faith," according to an affidavit from Pennsylvania State Police.

A week later, a judge revoked her bail because he considered her a threat to herself and the community, according to court documents.

Nadejda Reilly, 51, told Pennsylvania State Trooper Bruce Balliet on January 7 that she was driving on a local route for several hours waiting for a "calling from God." When she saw a car driving on the opposite side of State Route 93, she allegedly "wanted to test her faith by driving through the vehicle," according to the affidavit.

She then drove her 2017 Kia Optima into the opposing lane of traffic and struck the car, the affidavit said.

why faith fails
(01-20-2020, 09:07 PM)Alan V Wrote:
Quote:https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/us/car-cr...index.html

A Pennsylvania woman was arrested after allegedly driving into oncoming traffic and hitting a car with three passengers to "test her faith," according to an affidavit from Pennsylvania State Police.

A week later, a judge revoked her bail because he considered her a threat to herself and the community, according to court documents.

Nadejda Reilly, 51, told Pennsylvania State Trooper Bruce Balliet on January 7 that she was driving on a local route for several hours waiting for a "calling from God." When she saw a car driving on the opposite side of State Route 93, she allegedly "wanted to test her faith by driving through the vehicle," according to the affidavit.

She then drove her 2017 Kia Optima into the opposing lane of traffic and struck the car, the affidavit said.

She also said her faith succeeded because SHE survived. And she said the other driver would have escaped injury if they had had enough faith.

The judge revoked her bail in order to "protect the public" until she gets needed "treatment". Good for him.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Alan V

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 07:40 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:40 PM)Chimp3 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:20 PM)Drich Wrote: the how faith fails is the answer to why it fails. meaning that explanation is what the video is about.

I disagree. Your "Why" includes Jesus. Your video does not answer "How". "How" includes the fact that the Bible is bullshit and Jesus turned up a worm farm long ago (if he ever existed at all).

watch the video the why is based on the lack of jesus. or the lack of a biblically based jesus.

I did watch the video. As before, I again state the "how" is a "lack of Jesus".
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 10:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

Ad populum fallacy. 
Also false. 
People of faith do not claim to have ''proof". They call themselves "people of faith", (Drich's personal cult is not Christianity). 
He's a hypocrite. he aligns with them when he thinks it's convenient, and rejects the mainline Christian positions on most everything.

This guy knows less than zero about world religions.

ah, no. ad populum is an appeal to the masses. what i did was the reverse. I cited the 2.4% of the people who could not find God.

Christians only need to start out with a mustard seed's worth of faith to find proof.

I know very few people of faith alone.