Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why faith fails

why faith fails
Why faith fails is a subject kinda tied to the last one on why bad things happen to 'good' people. 

why faith fails
Don't you mean why faith in a fantasy delusion having an impact/effect on reality fails?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Cavebear, RobbyPants

why faith fails
Or maybe faith fails because people insist on certainty where doubt is inevitable.  Then when doubt intrudes anyway people feel like they've failed and bail.  So says Philip Yancy.

https://philipyancey.com/a-time-to-doubt...9daET94Ha8
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

why faith fails
Faith fails because it's belief without evidence.  Faith is what ALL religions use to promote whatever god they're proposing exists. From Roman and Greek gods to Ahura Mazda to hundreds of other beliefs systems, they all use faith as a vehicle.  If faith can lead one to believe in various and sundry gods then faith is useless twattle.
                                                         T4618
The following 8 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • isbelldl, Alan V, Chas, brunumb, Cavebear, Gwaithmir, RobbyPants, Paleophyte

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Faith fails because it's belief without evidence.  Faith is what ALL religions use to promote whatever god they're proposing exists. From Roman and Greek gods to Ahura Mazda to hundreds of other beliefs systems, they all use faith as a vehicle.  If faith can lead one to believe in various and sundry gods then faith is useless twattle.

Most religious systems evolved when there were no reliable source of informations about the world.  People made up the difference with faith, and that was considered a virtue.  

But because faith was a placeholder, it failed from the get-go.  It never worked except to hold communities of similar beliefs together.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brunumb, Cavebear

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 07:50 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Faith fails because it's belief without evidence.  Faith is what ALL religions use to promote whatever god they're proposing exists. From Roman and Greek gods to Ahura Mazda to hundreds of other beliefs systems, they all use faith as a vehicle.  If faith can lead one to believe in various and sundry gods then faith is useless twattle.

Most religious systems evolved when there were no reliable source of informations about the world.  People made up the difference with faith, and that was considered a virtue.  

But because faith was a placeholder, it failed from the get-go.  It never worked except to hold communities of similar beliefs together.

Exactly. All cultures who had gods used them to fill gaps of knowledge. Even the catholics stopped believing that thunder and lightning were god speaking. Took them centuries to figure out why churches kept being struck by lightning and to actually do something about it. Knowledge works better than faith, eventually everyone will realize that. If we have enough generations following ours and they continue to grow knowledge, that is.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Minimalist, Alan V, brunumb, Cavebear

why faith fails
Drippy should keep believing in bullshit.  It won't do him any good and whatever harm befalls him he'll attribute to "god's will."  He'd make a great muslim.

Insh'allah, Dripshit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 07:10 PM)brewerb Wrote: Don't you mean why faith in a fantasy delusion having an impact/effect on reality fails?

actually yes that is a part of the answer. how much did you watch before you figured that one out?

why faith fails

again yes. belief without evidence. but why do some get said evidence while other's do not?

why faith fails
Because they don't know what fucking "evidence" means.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Chas, Dancefortwo, brunumb, julep, isbelldl

why faith fails
Because some are those suckers that Barnum mentioned.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Minimalist, Dancefortwo

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 08:46 PM)Drich Wrote:

again yes. belief without evidence. but why do some get said evidence while other's do not?

Your personal experiences are not evidence. Facepalm
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard

why faith fails
Because theists don't know the difference between a claim and evidence.  They/you confuse the two.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, TheGentlemanBastard, Minimalist, grympy

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 06:40 PM)Drich Wrote: Why faith fails is a subject kinda tied to the last one on why bad things happen to 'good' people. 

Christians are the ones who have built their houses on sand.  Some lose their faith when they realise that their God is no different from Gandalf.  Both are fictional creations and invoking either of them in your times of need will achieve nothing.

P.S.  Sadcryface   Listening to a man droning on in a boring monotone is enough to challenge anyone's faith.
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • grympy, Dancefortwo, Cavebear

why faith fails
I can only speak for myself.

My strong Irish Catholic faith began to fail when I reached the age of reason(about 12) and started questioning some of the more absurd claims. EG original sin, limbo, the trinity, papal infallibility and like that.

Stayed that way for some years. Might have remained like that indefinitely if anyone had given me anything approaching a rational response.

My Father : "Shut up" he would explain '

The teachers at my catholic school "It's mystery of faith, we just believe it"

Between 16 and 22 worked out that the Catholic church offered me nothing ,apart from guilt for being a human being . So I left, at age 21.

For the next 20 years I searched for meaning , and not just within Christianity. I slowly found that NOT ONE supernatural claim I encountered could withstand the simplest analysis. By that I mean it could not answer THE question; "Where is the proof"?
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • brunumb, Cavebear

why faith fails
Oh look. Another spamy video spouting irrelevant Christian BS ... which NO ONE here cares about at all.
If it fails, then it's the fault of their gods.

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:8

They really ought to read their Babble once in a while.

Drippy, you're far more entertaining with your batshit crazy inventions ... like tapping into the "nuclear energy" at the center of the Earth. LOL
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Minimalist, brunumb

why faith fails
How faith fails is a better question.
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 08:45 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:10 PM)brewerb Wrote: Don't you mean why faith in a fantasy delusion having an impact/effect on reality fails?

actually yes that is a part of the answer. how much did you watch before you figured that one out?

None. Why should I waste time on a fantasy that I don't find entertaining?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

why faith fails
Faith inevitably fails simply because it's absolute, uncritical and unchanging, and
therefore the exact opposite of open minded.

On the other hand, informed faith involves accepting the probable truth of
statements that are based on information one does not have full access to, but in
situations where one does have access to a reasonable amount of supporting evidence.

Religious faith requires no supporting evidence.

In areas of science, informed faith means trusting that researchers have built on
the same systems of experimentation and exploration that one has explored personally.
Additionally, the correct functioning of technological systems that depend on certain
explanations can provide the non-professional person with the underpinnings of informed faith.

And even 1 Corinthians 13:13 says of faith: 

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

—Ouch.     Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brunumb

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 07:58 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:50 PM)Alan V Wrote:

Exactly. All cultures who had gods used them to fill gaps of knowledge. Even the catholics stopped believing that thunder and lightning were god speaking. Took them centuries to figure out why churches kept being struck by lightning and to actually do something about it. Knowledge works better than faith, eventually everyone will realize that. If we have enough generations following ours and they continue to grow knowledge, that is.

When very ancient people saw lightning and volcanoes and tidal waves, they had no means of explaining those things, so they did the best that they could.  "Some Power" had to make those things happen.  They guessed wrong, with limited knowledge.  I would have (at the time) guessed wrongly too.

Today, we understand lightning, volcanoes, and tidal waves.  We have some good ideas about the formation of the universe, our star, our planet, and our moon. We are exploribg the dynamics of other planets.

In the future, we will understand more.  And it won't be due to theisms.  Theisms can't advance beyond old beliefs and fears.  Science can.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V, Deesse23, Chas

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 11:20 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 06:40 PM)Drich Wrote: Why faith fails is a subject kinda tied to the last one on why bad things happen to 'good' people. 

Christians are the ones who have built their houses on sand.  Some lose their faith when they realise that their God is no different from Gandalf.  Both are fictional creations and invoking either of them in your times of need will achieve nothing.

P.S.  Sadcryface   Listening to a man droning on in a boring monotone is enough to challenge anyone's faith.

The bad image of some bible page should be enough to embarrass the original poster...  And after bothering to highlight and underline the pages too.  I crack up.

why faith fails
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear, Phaedrus

why faith fails

Well, to be honest, I like pork in its various forms more than most meat.  Smoked, roasted, fried, stir-fried, boiled, baconed...  It was a good story though...

why faith fails
I've seen this thread, but other people replying. Drich, there are many things that contribute to my diagnosys of crazy on you, but your idea that you are smart enough to stumble atheists points more to the DK effect.
The following 2 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Cavebear, Deesse23

why faith fails
For thousands of years, billions of believers have stomped their impotent little feet, and insisted *their* gods were real.
They were all wrong. Drich is not special. The most reliable predictor of which god(s) someone will believe in, is the culture one is born in to.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Cavebear, brunumb