Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rabbit hole

The rabbit hole
So, as I've mentioned I don't like debates but then there are days where someone helps me notice a concerning patter and then when it finally clicks I realize, it's time for me to speak up. So, I like this little community I come here to observe and chat a couple times before leaving. But today wasn't a good day I didn't find myself happy I found myself in a position of noticing a concerning pathway that recently became open for some people inside the atheist community. I'm in the process of cleaning out the closet of channels I once considered educational and morning the loss of a bunch of people I thought had potential. And while this I also realized, it's possible there are people here going through struggles and being misled by some mad resources or misinformation and even though this may not be everyone I feel some obligation to make sure those that may fall into this can turn it around and steer another way.  So let's get to a major problem I often see floating around. 

When indoctrinated we often start to hyperfocus on religion and the negatives and that can have its good sides along with its bad sides what it can't do is sometimes make people hyperfocus on simply too negative and forget about more major things besides religion but the causes that it can have on our mental health.  I'm not talking about escaping religion sort of health but more Radicalizing, Transphobia, Homophobia, Hypermasculinity, Anti-feminism and many more problems. I'm not saying, everyone. 
However, it seems a lot of people do this where they forget about underlining issues and fears they still have and then insert it into their viewpoints convoluting them and making something incredibly nasty on mistake. Then trying to come up with excuses and different ways to claim this isn't happening because of fears and feeling disgusted. 
I'm going to risk it and out myself here: I'm a trans guy, and I noticed this pattern only because I have connections and I also have experience with a lot of things I'm able to identify from experience as bad that sets of a red flag in my head and helps me avoid it, along with good friends and support systems among friends. 

Without this and with a bad history of abuse and mistreatment I think it can be easy to accidentally fall into these without knowledge of it. 
I don't feel comfortable enough pointing fingers at who I see it happening with but I want to give you guys a heads up and say Be careful, even with people you enjoy watching who seem like wonderful people keep your eyes out and double-check your facts you're all good at facts so don't forget to use them even with others. 
It's not just about religion but sometimes looking deep within us to see what other toxic things that religion has swayed us into. Also, philosophers, there are many good ones but not everything older or newer even is good so even with that keep an eye out for little hidden toxicities in words. I don't want more people falling into these holes as it's scary for me for others but also, everyone has potential and I hate people losing it.
The following 4 users Like TristanJ's post:
  • Phaedrus, SYZ, Cavebear, Astreja

The rabbit hole
(12-14-2019, 11:48 PM)TristanJ Wrote: So, as I've mentioned I don't like debates but then there are days where someone helps me notice a concerning patter and then when it finally clicks I realize, it's time for me to speak up. So, I like this little community I come here to observe and chat a couple times before leaving. But today wasn't a good day I didn't find myself happy I found myself in a position of noticing a concerning pathway that recently became open for some people inside the atheist community. I'm in the process of cleaning out the closet of channels I once considered educational and morning the loss of a bunch of people I thought had potential. And while this I also realized, it's possible there are people here going through struggles and being misled by some mad resources or misinformation and even though this may not be everyone I feel some obligation to make sure those that may fall into this can turn it around and steer another way.  So let's get to a major problem I often see floating around. 

When indoctrinated we often start to hyperfocus on religion and the negatives and that can have its good sides along with its bad sides what it can't do is sometimes make people hyperfocus on simply too negative and forget about more major things besides religion but the causes that it can have on our mental health.  I'm not talking about escaping religion sort of health but more Radicalizing, Transphobia, Homophobia, Hypermasculinity, Anti-feminism and many more problems. I'm not saying, everyone. 
However, it seems a lot of people do this where they forget about underlining issues and fears they still have and then insert it into their viewpoints convoluting them and making something incredibly nasty on mistake. Then trying to come up with excuses and different ways to claim this isn't happening because of fears and feeling disgusted. 
I'm going to risk it and out myself here: I'm a trans guy, and I noticed this pattern only because I have connections and I also have experience with a lot of things I'm able to identify from experience as bad that sets of a red flag in my head and helps me avoid it, along with good friends and support systems among friends. 

Without this and with a bad history of abuse and mistreatment I think it can be easy to accidentally fall into these without knowledge of it. 
I don't feel comfortable enough pointing fingers at who I see it happening with but I want to give you guys a heads up and say Be careful, even with people you enjoy watching who seem like wonderful people keep your eyes out and double-check your facts you're all good at facts so don't forget to use them even with others. 
It's not just about religion but sometimes looking deep within us to see what other toxic things that religion has swayed us into. Also, philosophers, there are many good ones but not everything older or newer even is good so even with that keep an eye out for little hidden toxicities in words. I don't want more people falling into these holes as it's scary for me for others but also, everyone has potential and I hate people losing it.

(12-14-2019, 11:48 PM)TristanJ Wrote: I'm going to risk it and out myself here: I'm a trans guy.  
  A few questions, if I may.  How long ago did you transition?  Are you taking hormones?  Did your family support you?  How old are you?  What part of the world do you live in?  Just asking because some of this may weave into the difficulties your having?  There are other transgender people on this forum if you need someone to talk to. My daughter is transgender and went through psychotic depression that was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia.  She doing fantastic now and weaned herself off the anti-psychotic  medication about four years ago but she had some very dark times for a while. After she took hormones and transitioned she felt 100% better.  So I thought I'd ask a few questions about this subject.
                                                         T4618

The rabbit hole
But
(12-15-2019, 12:14 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 11:48 PM)TristanJ Wrote: So, as I've mentioned I don't like debates but then there are days where someone helps me notice a concerning patter and then when it finally clicks I realize, it's time for me to speak up. So, I like this little community I come here to observe and chat a couple times before leaving. But today wasn't a good day I didn't find myself happy I found myself in a position of noticing a concerning pathway that recently became open for some people inside the atheist community. I'm in the process of cleaning out the closet of channels I once considered educational and morning the loss of a bunch of people I thought had potential. And while this I also realized, it's possible there are people here going through struggles and being misled by some mad resources or misinformation and even though this may not be everyone I feel some obligation to make sure those that may fall into this can turn it around and steer another way.  So let's get to a major problem I often see floating around. 

(12-14-2019, 11:48 PM)TristanJ Wrote: I'm going to risk it and out myself here: I'm a trans guy.  
  A few questions, if I may.  How long ago did you transition?  Are you taking hormones?  Did your family support you?  How old are you?  What part of the world do you live in?  Just asking because some of this may weave into the difficulties your having?  There are other transgender people on this forum if you need someone to talk to. My daughter is transgender and went through psychotic depression that was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia.  She doing fantastic now and weaned herself off the anti-psychotic  medication about four years ago but she had some very dark times for a while. After she took hormones and transitioned she felt 100% better.  So I thought I'd ask a few questions about this subject.

Yea, doing fine 
Your free to pm me about this but it’s not related to the above. 
I’ve transtioned a while ago though that side of things is long covered. (Hence why i dont mention it) 

I mentioned this because something going on in the community not anything else. I don’t want me being trans to off topic this or be tied into why its mentioned. It’s irrelevant

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 12:31 AM)TristanJ Wrote: But
(12-15-2019, 12:14 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Yea, doing fine 
Your free to pm me about this but it’s not related to the above. 
I’ve transtioned a while ago though that side of things is long covered. (Hence why i dont mention it) 

I mentioned this because something going on in the community not anything else. I don’t want me being trans to off topic this or be tied into why its mentioned. It’s irrelevant

Allrighty.  Just checking.
                                                         T4618

The rabbit hole
I am a gay man who fully supports the trans community.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Dancefortwo

The rabbit hole
Tristan J just come out with it. You have something heavy on your heart spill it out.

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 01:30 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I am a gay man who fully supports the trans community.

I'm a straight man who fully supports Phaedrus supporting the trans community.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 01:30 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Tristan J just come out with it.  You have something heavy on your heart spill it out.

Just i like a lot of youtube athiests and what im saying is that there’s a lot of scary radicalizing happening among them. Some is subtal others aren’t and red flags i just wanted to put it out there. \o/ as its quite scary i really liked these people and my heart sank when i started catching on to little tid bits of red flags

The rabbit hole
That was an accidental double post but I might as well add to it, basically I’m just really concerned people are going to accidentally find the wrong information because it seems like it’s coming from people who used to be good sources. The next thing you know we have a bunch of logical thinking people falling into really bad places and the giant problem because I think we need people like us being supportive and it just looks to me like it’s falling apart in some places

The rabbit hole
I haven't a clue what the OP is on about.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb, SYZ, Inkubus

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 01:30 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Tristan J just come out with it.  You have something heavy on your heart spill it out.

I'm not sure what you're asking are you looking for me to send examples? 
I just feel like it's an easy thing to find. But also I'm not sure because the communities are so large i don't want to end up in the middle or making to big of an assumption even though i got a good friend to confirm it and tell me to avoid it.

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 02:55 AM)Dānu Wrote: I haven't a clue what the OP is on about.

I'm in this camp. TJ, you need to speak more plainly. Up to this point all I'm getting is a nonspecific feeling of paranoia.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 03:28 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 02:55 AM)Dānu Wrote: I haven't a clue what the OP is on about.

I'm in this camp. TJ, you need to speak more plainly. Up to this point all I'm getting is a nonspecific feeling of paranoia.

no
The following 1 user Likes TristanJ's post:
  • Rainy_D

The rabbit hole
Although I appreciate the time and effort Tristan has put into his opening post, I'm also not
all that sure if I'm fully understanding its thrust.  It may pay to break it down into a handful
of simple sentences in order to make a more easily digestible, and concise, point mate.             Thumbs Up

—I was particularly confused where you said:  "But today wasn't a good day I didn't find myself
happy.  I found myself in a position of noticing a concerning pathway that recently became
open for some people inside the atheist community."

Also:  "When indoctrinated we often start to hyperfocus on religion and the negatives and that
can have its good sides along with its bad sides."

—Who exactly are this "we"?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 01:15 PM)SYZ Wrote: Although I appreciate the time and effort Tristan has put into his opening post, I'm also not
all that sure if I'm fully understanding its thrust.  It may pay to break it down into a handful
of simple sentences in order to make a more easily digestible, and concise, point mate.             Thumbs Up

—I was particularly confused where you said:  "But today wasn't a good day I didn't find myself
happy.  I found myself in a position of noticing a concerning pathway that recently became

Also:  "When indoctrinated we often start to hyperfocus on religion and the negatives and that

I can't rewrite this that sucks well, i'll have to get used to making sure everything's proof read by a couple people. 
Okay, basically i was just concerned about some videos of some athiests i had looked up to who seems to be diving into some really toxic viewpoints and i know people watch things and there seems to be group of these people who come of a great people at first. And i wanted to kinda put the red flag out there to say hey keep an eye out. Make sure you fact check of course and, don't fall into these ideas. Just scary stuff you know? the internet is a big thing and the wrong group of people sometimes can create a larger problem. And i think this community is really nice to be around and i don't want to see it fall down the same path. (Lose them to bad views) This is not happening inside this community, but the fact it could easily be found/connect to it does concern me as it could be found and connect to anyone. I worry about people probably to much, but hey i'd rather just let people know and hope someone understands then not say anything and someone lands themselves there on accident.

I haven't posted many resources on it because i'd have to go looking for them and i also just don't want to read to many toxic things myself, or end up in debate.
But i think it's easy enough to find out there to not have to mention it much. And if people don't see/find it even better! it means it's not hit deep enough and that's a good thing in my opinion.
The following 1 user Likes TristanJ's post:
  • SYZ

The rabbit hole
I still don't know what you're on about.
He loves me?  Facepalm

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 04:24 PM)NorthernBen Wrote: I still don't know what you're on about.

I don't know what to tell you 
ignore it then?

The rabbit hole
(12-15-2019, 01:39 PM)TristanJ Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 01:15 PM)SYZ Wrote: Although I appreciate the time and effort Tristan has put into his opening post, I'm also not

I can't rewrite this that sucks well, i'll have to get used to making sure everything's proof read by a couple people. 
Okay, basically i was just concerned about some videos of some athiests i had looked up to who seems to be diving into some really toxic viewpoints...

Any religious or political youtubers are going to have extreme views baked in. It's the nature of youtube and how they get lots of views and clicks. Youtubers are gonna youtube.

If you're spending a lot of time on youtube to explore atheism, it might seem like the world is tilting to their extreme views. My suggestion is to turn it off and go to other sources, including offline with people, literature, and community groups.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Phaedrus, airportkid

The rabbit hole

Congrats to you for making a serious decision about your life and acting on it.  I can in no way quite understand it, but that is irrelevent. You did.  Hooray.

Most thoughtful people stare into the rabbit hole, so to speak.  It represents what we do not know about our future and the future in general.  I personally think (as I'm sure others do) that I stare down further.  I have made certain conclusions in my life, based on what matters to me.  Mine mostly involve a lack a deities.

May your decision give you happiness all your life.  I'm happy with mine.  Peace be with you...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

The rabbit hole

Okay, basically i was just concerned about some videos of some athiests i had looked up to who seems to be diving into some really toxic viewpoints and i know people watch things and there seems to be group of these people who come of a great people at first. And i wanted to kinda put the red flag out there to say hey keep an eye out. Make sure you fact check of course and, don't fall into these ideas. Just scary stuff you know? the internet is a big thing and the wrong group of people sometimes can create a larger problem. And i think this community is really nice to be around and i don't want to see it fall down the same path. (Lose them to bad views) This is not happening inside this community, but the fact it could easily be found/connect to it does concern me as it could be found and connect to anyone. I worry about people probably to much, but hey i'd rather just let people know and hope someone understands then not say anything and someone lands themselves there on accident.  

I haven't posted many resources on it because i'd have to go looking for them and i also just don't want to read to many toxic things myself, or end up in debate.
But i think it's easy enough to find out there to not have to mention it much. And if people don't see/find it even better! it means it's not hit deep enough and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Thanks, but I already have a nana and she is not you.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The rabbit hole

Sounds like you're saying, and I may be wrong, you are having an experience with a different forum community that is troubling you, but not this one.  But you feel we should be aware and careful so we too don't get sucked into some of these same troubles.

The rabbit hole
@TristanJ I think you'll find that while our little forum here in this corner of the internet could never be completely immune from the stupidity that seems to come in waves across the youtube/Twitter atheist "community" we are a tight enough, and mature & thoughtful enough group that any transphobic or ANTI-LGBTQ sentiments would be rebuffed quite quickly.

What passes for what people call a "community" in Twitter/YouTube land is more of a free for all game of tit for tat response videos that intentionally misunderstand each other's point of view to get a reaction from people's "base" for likes & views.

Mute & block are your friends, I do it all the time even people I usually agree with on other issues when they go off on a rant about what dumbassery was said by who...again.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • Inkubus

The rabbit hole
This has nothing to do with me or the lgbt it just explains something

Don’t get it it’s fine if someone could at least lock this great.

The rabbit hole
(12-16-2019, 02:55 PM)TristanJ Wrote: This has nothing to do with me or the lgbt it just explains something

Don’t get it it’s fine if someone could at least lock this great.

No need to lock the thread.

You have a valid point that should be expressed and shared, but you need to simply do a better job of delivering.

The rabbit hole
Nvm i think i found the no notification button.
You do you i do me were all happy. If i wanna check in i can.