Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pew - Rapid Decline Of Christianity In US Continues

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u...apid-pace/

In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace
An update on America's changing religious landscape
The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.
Furthermore, the data shows a wide gap between older Americans (Baby Boomers and members of the Silent Generation) and Millennials in their levels of religious affiliation and attendance. More than eight-in-ten members of the Silent Generation (those born between 1928 and 1945) describe themselves as Christians (84%), as do three-quarters of Baby Boomers (76%). In stark contrast, only half of Millennials (49%) describe themselves as Christians; four-in-ten are religious “nones,” and one-in-ten Millennials identify with non-Christian faiths.

------
5% self identify as atheist and 6% as agnostic. 8% atheist and 9% agnostic among millennials. 17% as nothing in particular.  We have to work on those people.

A big move away from land line phones and to cell phones is making it harder to do surveys.  Many refuse to do surveys on cell phones.  This is a fairly lengthy report.

And yes, church attendance is dropping

The extensive data tables of this study can be found here.

https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/uplo...OR-WEB.pdf
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 7 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, brunumb, brewerb, SYZ, Free, Gwaithmir

So, what you're saying is, it's actually the christian's fault that are so many "natural" disasters.

????

You will have to explain that one to me.

One thing about this new report is that it does not include generation Z. Generation Z from other reports seem to be even less religious than the millennials. Another point of interest to me is that those who self identify as Democrats are far more none religious than Republicans.

This might mean we will see a rather vicious culture war in the next few years as right winged Christians battle to impose themselves on us all. Will that play a part in the upcoming 2020 elections? We shall see.

Excellent news.  The sooner those jesus freak shitheads die off the better.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]C²:
????

You will have to explain that one to me.

The christards are always blaming some group of people for Earth's utter dismay.

I was simply stating that it is their own fault for not recruiting future soldiers.

Oh! OK. I thought it was all Satan's fault.

(10-17-2019, 08:52 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Oh!  OK.  I thought it was all Satan's fault.

It's not. It's the fault of the homosexuals and those who supported same-sex-marriage.
Test

(10-17-2019, 06:40 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u...apid-pace/

The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.
Furthermore, the data shows a wide gap between older Americans (Baby Boomers and members of the Silent Generation) and Millennials in their levels of religious affiliation and attendance. More than eight-in-ten members of the Silent Generation (those born between 1928 and 1945) describe themselves as Christians (84%), as do three-quarters of Baby Boomers (76%). In stark contrast, only half of Millennials (49%) describe themselves as Christians; four-in-ten are religious “nones,” and one-in-ten Millennials identify with non-Christian faiths.

------
5% self identify as atheist and 6% as agnostic. 8% atheist and 9% agnostic among millennials. 17% as nothing in particular.  We have to work on those people.

A big move away from land line phones and to cell phones is making it harder to do surveys.  Many refuse to do surveys on cell phones.  This is a fairly lengthy report.

American liberals may start boasting when the US  starts electing openly gay  and atheist people ,and elects say an atheist  woman president .  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(10-17-2019, 09:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 08:52 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Oh!  OK.  I thought it was all Satan's fault.

It's not. It's the fault of the homosexuals and those who supported same-sex-marriage.

But.....but..... aren't they just Satan's minions?   Whistling
No gods necessary

Definitely explains why Christians are being so persecuted (sarcasm).
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

I'd gladly throw xtians to the lions except I like lions.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Nothing is going to get better until idiots like Attorney General Barr and his ilk are six feet under. 

Quote:In a speech at University of Notre Dame’s law school Friday, Barr blamed “secularists” and “so-called progressives” for wreaking havoc on American society. Barr’s depiction of a war between the non-religious and people of faith shocked legal experts, who saw Barr’s defense of religious freedom as an assault on the First Amendment’s protection against the government’s establishment of any religion. 

“This is not decay,” Barr said. “This is organized destruction. Secularists and their allies have marshaled all the forces of mass communication, popular culture, the entertainment industry, and academia in an unremitting assault on religion & traditional values.”   

Realmad     Aggravated 

There's more here:  https://www.motherjones.com/politics/201...-religion/
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Cheerful Charlie, Bucky Ball, Dom

And who put them up to it?  Think it through, Buckster.  Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(10-17-2019, 06:40 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u...apid-pace/

------

What?! No more talking snakes? No more flying chariots? No more having sex with daughters? If religion dies, Jebus won't come back?

Oh the insanity of it all!

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 2 users Like Free's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Dom

(10-22-2019, 04:14 AM)Chas Wrote:

And who put them up to it?  Think it through, Buckster.  Consider

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dom

(10-21-2019, 07:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I'd gladly throw xtians to the lions except I like lions.

Me too

I would never suggest  feeding Christians to the lions, would probably make the lions ill.

However, the ancient Romans were very inventive  and had a wicked sense of humour.  One of the more amusing things they did was to tie  arsonists to a pole, cover them with pitch and set fire to them . Apparently Nero liked to do that to Christians ,to illuminate  his garden at night. He was  such a scamp .  Girl_devil
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Cavebear

The progression of religious thought has gone from a minor deity in every stream and hillside, to a few identifiable figures, to a single deity. The next step is obviously none at all.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Minimalist, mordant

Pity we won't be around to see it's total collapse, but any decline in any religion is welcome news.
He loves me?  Facepalm
The following 1 user Likes NorthernBen's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I particularly find this quote to be very telling (bolding mine). Hypocrisy is what turned me away when I was 18 yo. You look around in the US and see all these Trumpers who claim both supremacy and religiosity and a sentient adult can’t help but see how incongruent the two are.

“My family thinks she convinced me to stop going to church and her family thinks I was the one who convinced her,” he said. “But really it was mutual. We moved to a city and talked a lot about how we came to see all of this negativity from people who were highly religious and increasingly didn’t want a part in it. This view is common among young people. A majority (57 percent) of millennials agree that religious people are generally less tolerant of others, compared to only 37 percent of Baby Boomers."
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 6 users Like Full Circle's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, Dom, Chas, Paleophyte, Gwaithmir

When asked for comment about this report, Cyrus, a millennial from Boulder responded, "Yes, my friends and I have completely rejected Christianity.  We think it's more important to focus on living simply, helping each other, and being stewards of the Earth.  We reject ornate false piety in favor of quiet reflection in meager, natural surroundings."
The following 4 users Like Ranjr's post:
  • Dom, mordant, Chas, Gwaithmir

(11-04-2019, 09:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote: The progression of religious thought has gone from a minor deity in every stream and hillside, to a few identifiable figures, to a single deity.  The next step is obviously none at all.

I totally agree, although I think that last step will be the work of centuries to get to where serious adherents to the Abrahamic faiths are pretty much just fringe nutters.

The fundamentalists will go much quicker, maybe on the order of another century, maybe even sooner depending on how it plays out.

The Christians will implode faster than the Muslims in general too, I think. It will be uneven but will take a long time to be really cemented across the board.

(12-13-2019, 09:48 PM)mordant Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote: The progression of religious thought has gone from a minor deity in every stream and hillside, to a few identifiable figures, to a single deity.  The next step is obviously none at all.

I totally agree, although I think that last step will be the work of centuries to get to where serious adherents to the Abrahamic faiths are pretty much just fringe nutters.

The fundamentalists will go much quicker, maybe on the order of another century, maybe even sooner depending on how it plays out.

The Christians will implode faster than the Muslims in general too, I think. It will be uneven but will take a long time to be really cemented across the board.

I think the fundamentalists of all religions will hang on to the bitter end.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(12-13-2019, 10:30 PM)Chas Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 09:48 PM)mordant Wrote:

Well I think there will likely be a small remnant of the fundamentalists hanging on but their outsize influence on society will not endure and that is mostly what I care about. Fundamentalists are a big enabler of Trump for example and I want that to stop. They should go down in ignominy with him.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Fireball, Full Circle

(12-13-2019, 11:57 PM)mordant Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 10:30 PM)Chas Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 09:48 PM)mordant Wrote: I totally agree, although I think that last step will be the work of centuries to get to where serious adherents to the Abrahamic faiths are pretty much just fringe nutters.

Well I think there will likely be a small remnant of the fundamentalists hanging on but their outsize influence on society will not endure and that is mostly what I care about. Fundamentalists are a big enabler of Trump for example and I want that to stop. They should go down in ignominy with him.

Yes, I would agree with that.
― Napoleon Bonaparte