Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politician Wants Catholic Churches to Post Signs Warning Children of Danger

https://www.newsweek.com/politician-cath...ns-1464619

Quote:Melbourne City Council member Nic Frances Gilley has introduced a proposal to require Catholic churches to comply with the province of Victoria's new mandatory abuse reporting laws or have signs posted outside warning parents that the houses of worship might pose a danger to children.

The Age reports that Gilley is requesting the state "write to all churches and places of worship requesting assurances that all staff and associates will abide by the law of mandatory reporting," and if they do not provide those assurances the state should erect appropriate signage.

Sounds like a great idea to me.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Szuchow, abaris, Minimalist, Phaedrus

Humongous hissy fit coming...

[Image: BN-IK591_MADMAX_P_20150514110128.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis, grympy

(10-12-2019, 12:47 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Humongous hissy fit coming...

Oh, great! Now I'll have to get The Road Warrior out of my DVD library and watch it tonight.  Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama

(10-12-2019, 12:51 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 12:47 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Humongous hissy fit coming...

Oh, great! Now I'll have to get The Road Warrior out of my DVD library and watch it tonight.  Hmm

Careful. Back in the VHS days it was "two go in, one comes out." Sadcryface
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

It would be nice it church would be forced to comply.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama

(10-12-2019, 01:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It would be nice it church would be forced to comply.

Yeah, but the power of religion is insidious.
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-12-2019, 01:34 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 01:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It would be nice it church would be forced to comply.

Yeah, but the power of religion is insidious.

To say it lightly.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Well, you could always make your own sign out of cardboard and glue it to the church door as a form of protest. Martin Luther did it.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Why on Earth would a church refuse to comply?

This is a rhetorical question.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Szuchow

Why won't Trumpolini release his tax returns?

I'm guessing guilt in both cases.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-12-2019, 09:04 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Why won't Trumpolini release his tax returns?

I'm guessing guilt in both cases.

Hiders gonna hide.

Never trust any organization that opposes transparency -- that has always been the takeaway.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Gwaithmir, Minimalist

[Image: 66umjpp.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

(10-12-2019, 06:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

Well, you could always make your own sign out of cardboard and glue it to the church door as a form of protest. Martin Luther did it.  Consider

People in Poland did something similar only with baby shoes instead of cardboard. There was no result.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Yes, paedophilia was/is endemic in the Catholic church. By that I mean it was common, not invariable as far as I know.

Imo the suggestion was a sound bite, playing to the bigoted ,knee jerking peanut gallery. Seems to have worked a treat.

Context: I was brought up devout Catholic . That included 7 years at a large boys catholic school. In that time I never so much as heard a whisper about sexual abuse. True, the good brothers did beat the crap out of us, regularly.

Over the years I've known a lot of priests, and even an archbishop. While a few may have been drips, these were fine men.

(10-14-2019, 03:36 AM)grympy Wrote: ...these were  fine men.

And enablers.
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-14-2019, 10:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

And enablers.

Possibly, but I don't know that.  I sincerely hope not, and I guess that's the rub. 

Of course the majority of clergy are PROBABLY OK, but I can't prove that.  Just in case, I would not be allowing my child to be an altar boy nor sending my kids to a catholic school----- Even if abusers are caught, the damage has already been done.

---A good friend of my mother's lost two sons to suicide as the result of sexual abuse at a catholic school.. She and her husband did not believe their sons.

(10-14-2019, 09:02 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 10:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

And enablers.

Possibly, but I don't know that.  I sincerely hope not, and I guess that's the rub. 

Of course the majority of clergy are PROBABLY OK, but I can't prove that.  Just in case, I would not be allowing my child to be an altar boy nor sending my kids to a catholic school----- Even if abusers are caught, the damage has already been done.

---A good friend of my mother's lost two sons to suicide as the result of sexual abuse at a catholic school.. She and her husband did not believe their sons.

I don't believe that a majority of the Catholic priesthood abuse children, but I do believe that they know more than they're comfortable with, and that discomfort leads to denialism and institutional blindness. And that leads to more abuse that goes unchecked. Basically there's no way out for the non-abusers, they're too invested in the system.

I sat next to a Jesuit priest on a flight from JFK to Leonardo da Vinci airport in Rome. He was going to the Vatican to get fired from the order, and defrocked. He told me the day he got his letter was the first night's sound sleep for him in years. I asked him what he was going to do now. "I'm going to get ordained as a Methodist and join the US Army." I wished him luck with that.

When child abuse comes up and you ask the parishioners why they're still catholic and continue to give money the standard reply is "it's not in my church/parish".
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-14-2019, 09:38 PM)brewerb Wrote: When child abuse comes up and you ask the parishioners why they're still catholic and continue to give money the standard reply is "it's not in my church/parish".

In my extended family, only two remain Catholic; my dopey cousin, and his wife, Smelly. (she doesn't actually smell, but looks as if she does)

I asked him the same question..  His  response was perhaps the  smartest thing I've ever heard him say;  those terrible things don't make the teachings of the church untrue.  A very rational thing for a believer to say .

My position is  that those terrible things don't make any church teachings less true than they always  have been

We did have that ONE priest in my parish . They kept moving him because he had affairs with some of the married women of the parish.  He was finally made chaplain of the Seaman's Mission down at the docks.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brewerb

(10-14-2019, 09:38 PM)brewerb Wrote: When child abuse comes up and you ask the parishioners why they're still catholic and continue to give money the standard reply is "it's not in my church/parish".

And that just means their clergy haven't been caught yet.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist

(10-14-2019, 09:50 PM)grympy Wrote:

In my extended family, only two remain Catholic; my dopey cousin, and his wife, Smelly. (she doesn't actually smell, but looks as if she does)

I asked him the same question..  His  response was perhaps the  smartest thing I've ever heard him say;  those terrible things don't make the teachings of the church untrue.  A very rational thing for a believer to say .

My position is  that those terrible things don't make any church teachings less true than they always  have been

We did have that ONE priest in my parish . They kept moving him because he had affairs with some of the married women of the parish.  He was finally made chaplain of the Seaman's Mission down at the docks.

Those terrible things are part of the catholic church teachings. They are very true.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

"Those terrible things are part of the catholic church teachings. They are very true."

What? That's Ok to abuse children? Really. Be thrilled to see your evidence for that canard.

Covert institutionalised corruption neither necessarily implies nor infers that such is part of teachings.

I'm not defending the church per se, I'm defending critical thinking and facts.

(10-14-2019, 10:11 PM)grympy Wrote: "Those terrible things are part of the catholic church teachings. They are very true."

What? That's Ok to abuse children?  Really. Be thrilled to see your evidence for that canard.  

Covert institutionalised corruption neither  necessarily implies nor infers that such is part of teachings.

I'm not defending the church per se, I'm  defending  critical thinking and facts.

If that's what Mike meant, you've got a point.

Myself, I think the fact that the leaders who should be exemplifying the moral rectitude they believe that their theism gives them are instead acting in extreme moral turpitude is a sign they don't believe their own preachments.

How much weight can their moral standards carry if those standards cannot even convince their own preachers to abide by them?

The fact that such moral debasement reaches into the highest levels of their governance bespeaks the moral corruption of the Church as an institution, to my mind.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

It's all just the "seven deadly sins". Getting to some "level" in a religious institution obviously confers absolutely no "holiness". It simply provides an aura of respectability, all the while underneath, there it is. Damn, I'm cynical today!  Angel
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus