Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus believers be more dramatic than a gay man in a stage production

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • skyking

Come visit my cousins.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus, grympy

Da Fuq?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brewerb, Phaedrus

(10-07-2019, 10:19 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Da Fuq?

Paalease, like jesus was never a drama queen.
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

(10-07-2019, 09:32 PM)brewerb Wrote: [Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]

Perhaps a smidge exaggerated. I was once dragged along to a Pentacostal revival . It was fascinating . Large theatre of believers. Before the  main act, they got this mantra going   "Jeeeeeesssuuuuussss", over and over and over HYPNOTICALLY ---People began SINGING in tongues --only then did the imported American preacher come bounding onto the stage .

People with ailments were invited to come to the stage, which they did, by the dozen. Then the rev  began pushing  people with the palm of his hand to their forehead, and they fell down . I found out later this is called "being slain in the spirit"

As I said, fascinating . By that I mean as a spectacular  example of  how to manipulate a  large crowd of people . 

Be interested to know if anyone ever follows up with the people who have been 'cured'.  Because I'm a cynical  old fart who doesn't trust anyone , I have often wondered how many of the tongue singers and spirit slain were plants, to kick things off.  Yes, I know, an unworthy thought, and I''m going to hell. 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

True story:

When I was about 8, I was taught by nuns. One day the nun asked  : "hands up  all those who want to go to heaven" . I did not raise my hand. 

Nun:  "Why Grympy,  don't you want to go to heaven? "

Me" not if that lot are going"
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • Phaedrus, Minimalist, Mathilda

Almost Cured.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus

What makes you think they're not gay men in a stage production ?
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Phaedrus, The Kerbinator

(10-07-2019, 10:55 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 10:19 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Da Fuq?

Paalease, like jesus was never a drama queen.

Jesus: The Drama Queen of Heaven.   Dramaqueen
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, brewerb

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Phaedrus, grympy, brewerb

(10-08-2019, 08:11 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:

Had never heard of the creep until recently . A bit more looking and found he is still practising the same con.

I hope his pubic hair catches fire.  

OR   the great  Aussie  curse: "I hope  all your chooks* turn into emus an kick your dunny down"

Aussie slang : chook= a chicken dunny=outside toilet
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brunumb

(10-07-2019, 11:11 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 09:32 PM)brewerb Wrote: [Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]

Perhaps a smidge exaggerated. I was once dragged along to a Pentacostal revival . It was fascinating . Large theatre of believers. Before the  main act, they got this mantra going   "Jeeeeeesssuuuuussss", over and over and over HYPNOTICALLY ---People began SINGING in tongues --only then did the imported American preacher come bounding onto the stage .

People with ailments were invited to come to the stage, which they did, by the dozen. Then the rev  began pushing  people with the palm of his hand to their forehead, and they fell down . I found out later this is called "being slain in the spirit"

As I said, fascinating . By that I mean as a spectacular  example of  how to manipulate a  large crowd of people . 

Be interested to know if anyone ever follows up with the people who have been 'cured'.  Because I'm a cynical  old fart who doesn't trust anyone , I have often wondered how many of the tongue singers and spirit slain were plants, to kick things off.  Yes, I know, an unworthy thought, and I''m going to hell. 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

True story:

When I was about 8, I was taught by nuns. One day the nun asked  : "hands up  all those who want to go to heaven" . I did not raise my hand. 

Nun:  "Why Grympy,  don't you want to go to heaven? "

Me" not if that lot are going"

Back in my evangelical daze, my first wife had a brief flirtation with pentecostalism. She dragged me to a "crusade" where this "being slain in the spirit" was going on. As a non-charismatic fundamentalist I was allowed at least to be skeptical of pentecostals, so I decided to go stand in line for a "touch from god". Person after person went down. The evangelist got to me and pushed rather firmly on my head. Nothing happened. He pressed a bit harder. We regarded each other for a split second. He shrugged and moved onto the next person. In the end, I was the only one left standing. I felt nothing, experienced nothing. Insufficient faith, they'd say. I'd say, I'm just not very suggestible, at least in terms of public indignities like that.

You are correct that they work the crowd into an emotional froth before any attempts at "signs and wonders". It is a clear case of mass hysteria. Most people do not want to admit they're susceptible to such things, but the truth is that anyone can be influenced and if I had had more of a desire or need for god to manifest some sort of personal goose bumps in me, I probably could have been slain in the spirit, too. These groups also tend to select in the emotionally labile or exhibitionist people and select out the more intellectually oriented or reserved.

During this period we attended an Assembly of God church for a short time and every Sunday I noticed this young girl in the choir who was particularly ... shall we say, uninhibited in her expression of "praise". She seemed genuinely transported, her hands perpetually in the air and her face always looking like she was on the verge of experiencing a really delicious orgasm. I noticed that it was catching ... she was like the lead violinist in an orchestra, everyone fed off her and followed her lead. And I realized that her function in the choir was probably very analogous to that of first chair in the orchestra.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • grympy, brunumb