Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church under investigation for allegedly holding down gay man to pray away sexuality

Church under investigation for allegedly holding down gay man to pray away sexuality

Facepalm
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • brewerb, Gawdzilla Sama

Churches must be desperate for congregants if they're resorting to S&M nights.
The following 6 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • OakTree500, Fireball, Minimalist, Jenny, Gawdzilla Sama, The Kerbinator

The only desperation here is to assert, completely contrary to all evidence, that non-traditional, unaccepted sexual configurations are purely a spiritual aberration for which the only remedy is a spiritual ritual; also, that they are entirely a matter of choice if only the transgressor will submit to the will of god and the ministry of the holy spirit.

That it is sadistic is dismissed via special pleading. It's the same logic whereby they imagine holy wars where evil-doers are slain after rejecting a magnanimous offer of clemency if they will simply repent. It's the same logic Jesus uses: love me or burn in hell forever.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Chas, Minimalist, Paleophyte

Of course you understand that the Catholic Church has  no problem whatsoever with a person being gay!

----being a PRACTISING gay is another matter entirely.

The church's perfectly reasonable position is  that anyone suffering with such an affliction must commit to a lifetime of celibacy, in thought, word and deed. OR ,which is a far too often true; pretend to be straight,  get married, kids, the whole bit. --I have had friends in that position. Often, it kind of works. I guess one simply ignores the anguish of 'the sufferer'.

Will someone tell me again exactly where in the New Testament Jesus condemns homosexuality? I seem to have  forgotten    Huh
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

"I wanted to go to church and make my mom proud,” Cormie said."

I wonder if he succeeded?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Can the Christians pray away racism?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Paleophyte

(09-19-2019, 03:12 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Can the Christians pray away racism?

Don't know if anyone has actually tried it. I guess a christian might pray to have the racism and prejudice  of people against THEM to be removed. 

Thought for the Day "Christian; One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbour. One who follows the teachings of Christ in so far as they are not inconsistent with a life of sin" . ( Ambrose Bierce)
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • mordant

(09-19-2019, 01:52 AM)grympy Wrote: Of course you understand that the Catholic Church has  no problem whatsoever with a person being gay!

The church's perfectly reasonable position is  that anyone suffering with such an affliction must commit to a lifetime of celibacy, in thought, word and deed. OR ,which is a far too often true; pretend to be straight,  get married, kids, the whole bit. --I have had friends in that position. Often, it kind of works. I guess one simply ignores the anguish of 'the sufferer'.

Will someone tell me again exactly where in the New Testament Jesus condemns homosexuality? I seem to have  forgotten    Huh

It sure as shit wasn't in this part.

Quote: Mark 14:48 “Am I leading a rebellion,” said Jesus, “that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? 49 Every day I was with you, teaching in the temple courts, and you did not arrest me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled.” 50 Then everyone deserted him and fled.

51 A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, 52 he fled naked, leaving his garment behind.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(09-19-2019, 01:52 AM)grympy Wrote: Of course you understand that the Catholic Church has  no problem whatsoever with a person being gay!

As a great man once said, "I don't want him to Practice, I want him for fucking real"  Thumbs Up