Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He Called The Fire Department?

You would think the pope would ask his good buddy "god" for a little help instead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49543412

Quote:Pope freed by firefighters after being stuck in Vatican lift

C'mon Jebus.... get with the program.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, Phaedrus

♫You lift me up...♫
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking, outtathereligioncloset

Couldn't even get him down.

It seems that "faith" can move mountains but not an elevator.

He was afraid to push the "down" button.
The following 6 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo, grympy, mordant, Paleophyte, Tres Leches

Why would someone call the fire dept for being stuck in an elevator. The Vatican must have a huge inhouse maintenance crew, or are they not allowed to work on sunday even to help out the pope?

Or what about the elevator company?
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Some places have the emergency phone hooked into the "9-1-1" system. You push the panic button and the cops answer, and relay to the fire department when needed. Some go straight to the fire dept.

(09-01-2019, 06:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: You would think the pope would ask his good buddy "god" for a little help instead.

I seriously doubt the Vatican has it's own Fire Dept, although they might. 
I would bet they free-load on the Roman city institutions and pay nothing.

Edit: I stand corrected... they do have one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_of_F...City_State
Test

(09-01-2019, 07:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some places have the emergency phone hooked into the "9-1-1" system. You push the panic button and the cops answer, and relay to the fire department when needed. Some go straight to the fire dept.

That sounds like a terrible idea, and a waste of time and resources if every building in a given city with an elevator went straight to 911.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Quote:Edit: I stand corrected... they do have one.

They probably stand around and pray for the fire to go out.

(09-01-2019, 06:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: You would think the pope would ask his good buddy "god" for a little help instead.

Clearly his elevator doesn't go to the top floor.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, Fireball, SYZ

(09-01-2019, 08:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

They have their own postage stamps and zip code. Isn't it a country of it's own or something like that?
                                                         T4618

(09-01-2019, 07:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: He was afraid to push the "down" button.

With good reason.

[Image: c0eed72d0b73326ab32b5f61cc39367b.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus, grympy

(09-01-2019, 08:11 PM)Unsapien Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 07:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some places have the emergency phone hooked into the "9-1-1" system. You push the panic button and the cops answer, and relay to the fire department when needed. Some go straight to the fire dept.

That sounds like a terrible idea, and a waste of time and resources if every building in a given city with an elevator went straight to 911.

I'd default to calling someone who could deal with an emergency vice talking to Edith at the front desk.

(09-01-2019, 09:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 07:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: He was afraid to push the "down" button.

With good reason.

[Image: c0eed72d0b73326ab32b5f61cc39367b.jpg]

[Image: 0947d2facde669870e84a1a592ac9183.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • grympy, Minimalist

(09-01-2019, 08:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

I doubt they they would--------

In his book "The Case Of The Pope; Vatican Accountability For Human Rights '"  Geoffrey Roberston  explains how the Vatican has conned so many countries into making it a defacto state.  

The Vatican  was first  recognised  in 1929 by  Mussolini as Prime Minister of Italy,  in the Lateran Treaty. 

According to Robertson, the Vatican lacks the features usually  attributed to a state. EG: The Vatican has no citizens., All residents retain their original citizenship; John Paul 2 was a Polish   citizen, Rattinger, a German.  The Vatican lacks its own currency, police force, emergency .  services  (fire ambulance)  hospitals. Ammenities; power, water, etc from Rome. No armed forces. There is the Swiss guard, which is the Pope's . They have always been  Swiss catholic me.  

You may not agree. I invite you to read Robertson's book. It's a thin tome, only takes a couple of hours to read. 

Interesting to note that many countries recognise  the Vatican as a sovereign state .It is a non voting member of the UN . However, the Vatican sits on many UN committees and bodies. This means it has a lot more influence that it should have)

Even if completely kosher I would not support  it  .I reject the notion of a theocracy. That includes Saudi Arabia, and Tibet under the Dali  Lama.

PS age of consent in the Vatican is 12. 

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Geoffrey Ronald Robertson AO, QC (born 30 September 1946)[3] is a human rights barrister, academic, author and broadcaster. He holds dual Australian and British citizenship.

Robertson is a founder and joint head of Doughty Street Chambers.[4] He serves as a Master of the Bench at the Middle Temple, a recorder, and visiting professor at Queen Mary University of London.[5][3][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Robertson

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

In The Case of the Pope Geoffrey Robertson QC delivers a devastating indictment of the way the Vatican has run a secret legal system that shields paedophile priests from criminal trial around the world.

Is the Pope morally or legally responsible for the negligence that has allowed so many terrible crimes to go unpunished? Should he and his seat of power, the Holy See, continue to enjoy an immunity that places them above the law?

Geoffrey Robertson QC, a distinguished human rights lawyer and judge, evinces a deep respect for the good works of Catholics and their church. But, he argues, unless Pope Benedict XVI can divest himself of the beguilements of statehood and de...

https://www.bookdepository.com/Case-Pope...0241953846
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brunumb

Quote:PS age of consent in the Vatican is 12.

I'm sure they just wink at that.

(09-02-2019, 12:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:PS age of consent in the Vatican is 12.

I'm sure they just wink at that.

The excuse is they never got around to changing it.  I doubt there are many  if any children living in the Vatican. (Vatican city has a population of about 10000.

However, one might think  a reasonable person would have changed that law with alacrity once the scandal became public. Out of self defence, if not moral duty. That they did not may be seen by a reasonable person as simply more evidence of the same staggering arrogance  shown from the time the sexual  abuse by priests became public.

May that disgusting and corrupt institution crumble and collapse ,the sooner the better.

Just reread that, a lot of rage. Well yeah, I was brutalised  by De La Salle brothers  from age 10 to 17. My devout parents  simply didn't believe me, or my brother.   I seriously considered suing them a few years ago. Unfortunately, I discovered  most of the cunts were dead.   Angry
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Chas

All rise...
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
The following 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post:
  • Unsapien

Ooops... I didn't see this thread, and posted about it elsewhere.  My bad.  

Blush
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(09-02-2019, 03:15 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: All rise...

Hello outta, you've been missed.

Your posts always make me rise...

Blush

(09-02-2019, 12:23 AM)grympy Wrote: PS age of consent in the Vatican is 12... 

Why so old? In Aussie RC churches it seems to be more like 8.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(09-02-2019, 02:54 AM)grympy Wrote:   I doubt there are many  if any children living in the Vatican.

The choir boys come from somewhere.

(09-02-2019, 10:59 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 02:54 AM)grympy Wrote:   I doubt there are many  if any children living in the Vatican.

The choir boys come from somewhere.

Indeed, and some  were called "The Castrati" . This was a common practice all over Europe. The last Vatican Castrato died in the 1920's . I shit you not. 

Don't know what  they do for choirs today. Nuns?  Benedictine  Monks, with their chants.? Actually, I find their chants quite beautiful

I meant real boys who are used in the choirs.

(09-02-2019, 10:14 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I meant real boys who are used in the choirs.

Yeah, If got that . It seems to me the logistics might be difficult.  I wonder how may parents  would be happy to leave their young boys there. 

I just  looked it up. Pickle me grandmother!  You were right .Check out the photo of the choir: 

ROME - The Vatican’s Sistine Chapel Choir, known as ‘the pope’s choir,’ will head to the United States this summer for an eight-city concert tour.

This is the choir’s first nation-wide tour and will include stops in Atlanta, New York City, St. Louis, Detroit, Miami, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles from July 3-July 23.

https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2018/04/17/p...onal-tour/

PLUS King's College Cambridge (High Church of England)  has a boy soprano  choir. The boys live in, and have a full scholarship. Plus  of course they learn to read music and play at least one instrument . They leave the choir when their voice  breaks .  I've seen them in action  in King's College Chapel .  I only saw them  because my hostess had two boys in the choir when I visited Cambridge.   The younger of the two was bullied by other boys. I have no idea any other abuse occurred.