Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Evil God Challenge by Stephen Law

[Image: bible.gif]

Yup.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow

(08-20-2019, 03:24 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 03:23 PM)Drich Wrote: Again for you the world will be flat till someone forces you to accept the evidence. That's not me. I will only point you to the truth. I have shown you a video where a man spent 100 million dollars of his own money to do what you say can't be done. Guess what.. my money is with a man like elon, if you want to sit and wait I honestly do not care. just stop pretending you word or ideas of the matter are some sort of absolute or standard. at least have the wherewithal to acknowledge the work being done to this end.

Then maybe lighten up enough to see my actual point in that in your very own science something as abstract as reincarnation is plausible if one removes the mysticism behind the process. because again this is exactly what musk is trying to do and believes he can do it to the tune of a 100 million dollars of his own money.

When you spend money on stupidity, you get exactly that.

like electric cars 10 generation above and beyond anything anyone (like ford Gm honda) else is doing. inventing batteries and power supplies 15 years in the future. creating idk PAYPAL, a fast and easy way to do internet transactions or just send and receive money now. Or what about reusable rockets? what about the math algorithms and software that had to be created just to land a rocket up right?

A man like that, in your assessment can not identify or create or co create a system creates a link between man and a supercomputer equal to the brain's ability to absorb and process information?

IE do you think in 100 years if we don't all blow each other up our grandkids will still be poking at keys on a key board do you?

(08-20-2019, 04:44 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:29 PM)Drich Wrote: I am simply dividing the bible rightly into OT judaism and NT christianity as this one book represents 2 very different and distinct religions.

Totally false.
The Jews use everything in the OT and some times a few extra books. this encapsulates their whole religion. that means the OT represent 1 sustainable religion meaning the whole religion can be accurately followed by the OT of the Holy Bible.

The second half. is the NT. the NT represents new covenant Christianity which is all inclusive. IE one does not have to be born into this religion to be identified with it. and like the OT the NT for the New covenant Christian is all you need to follow and practice the religion accurately albeit on a basic level.

So again what I said stands. the bible represents two separate and totally distinct religions that are independent of one another.

So why have them in the same bible? Because the OT represents a form of worship based on morality and a moral code. it is carried through to the life and time of christ to see why religions on moral codes do not work and how corruption of man can destroy the very best of intentions and laws.

Then the NT is what we have been given in place of a religion made up of laws.

in short not only does it establish who Christ and God is it shows or transitions us from the need to try and be or understand morality to accepting the works and grace of God despite who we are.

Quote:The texts collected into NT are about Jesus.
no. the first 4 books of the NT are directly about Jesus. the 5th book is about the establishment of the church which now includes gentiles. everything else but the last book address how the different denominations worked and they corrected cultural and regional beliefs that where causing the churches to fall away and sin. even revelation does this to a degree, which is used as the part of the reason God calls for the end of man.

The book of Romans is unique it is the establishment of the church of rome. it is the book used on how to free the church from the law and how sin is perceived and dealt with in this new covenant.

In all of that... there is no singular list of rules that govern the NT church. Unlike what God did with the Jews where he gave several books containing law, the NT church does not have a universal rule set. Just to two rules Christ gave. everything else is tradition and religion/man's attempt to go back to a moral standard after God set us free from it.

Quote:He was a JEW in the OT tradition. His religion was OT Judaism.
Yes I pointed this out when you brought up the rich young ruler... they were all under the old covenant until his death. remember me saying it was his/jesus death that started the new covenant? it wasn't till acts chapter 1 that the Nt church took power (Actually acts 2 verse 38 being the moment in time where the OLD testament became obsolete.

Quote:Everything in the NT (including the main god ... Yahweh, "the Father", the messiah etc etc) comes from the OT and Hebrew culture.
Ah, no. Elohim refers to the Father. Yahweh is referred to as the word. He was the creator of the garden and adam and eve while the father did his 7 day creation. We know this because John 1:1 we find out the 'word' is Jesus himself. but to the jews God can not have a son. therefore the point of origin takes on less meaning if none of the old meaning or ways are followed. Meaning from john 1:1 first chapter and verse of John one of the first 4 book, the religion takes a different direction.

Quote:All the characters in the gospels are Jews who PRACTICED "OT Judaism".
not in dispute. however all of the characters shift the worship and praise paradigm away from Old covenant worship to a complete different system. they do not even worship on the same day. let alone observe all of the laws concerning their day of worship. EI the boy who worked all day and fell a sleep in a window and fell out and died and had to be brought back. in the hebrew religion to work on your holy day was a stoning offense.  Again what they started out as is not how they changed that religion and left the world.

Quote:Judaism in the OT was not a "religion". It was a culture in which everyone in the culture lived.
it was both smart guy google it
Quote:You're a total amateur with no education or training in the field.
yet I habitually show you error and ignorance. so what does that make you?
you Wrote:"OT judaism is not a religion"

Chuckle Chuckle Lol2 Lol2 Lol2 Lol2 Rofl2  Rofl2 but I'm the idiot..
here just so you dont do something more stupid like deny it.. I want you to feel your failure here and now.
Judaism is the world's oldest monotheistic religion, dating back nearly 4,000 years. Followers of Judaismbelieve in one God who revealed himself through ancient prophets. History is essential to understanding the Jewish faith, which is embedded in tradition, law and culture.Jan 5, 2018

[/url]Judaism - HISTORY

https://www.history.com/topics/religion/judaism
[url=https://www.history.com/topics/religion/judaism]
Winking

Quote:You're making me look like a fool with you're every post.
there fixed that quote for you to read accurately.. 
Sun

Sorry fool.
The Jews were not monotheistic until around 400-500 BCE. It is not the worlds oldest monotheistic religion.
Scholars call it by a couple names, including monolaterist polytheism, or henotheism.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&s...6320794413
Yahweh had a wife. Statues of her (Ashera) were found by archaeologists in the temple in Jerusalem.
They believed in all kinds of gods, including Baal, and the god Sin.

I have an advanced degree in the subject.
You have nothing.
Nothing.
You are an ignorant idiot. You have nothing to offer here.
You know absolutely NOTHING about what you are talking about.
Stop making a fool of yourself.
You don't speak for any of the gods.

Find another hobby.
You're no good at this one.
Test

(08-20-2019, 03:38 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 03:36 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Shouldn't you be above ad-homs?
 what makes you believe these are ad hom attacks? ad hom means:
Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"),[1] short for argumentum ad hominem, typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2] The terms ad mulierem[3] and ad feminam[4] have been used specifically when the person receiving the criticism is female.

The subject of his post was to point out the spelling and grammar errors we all make yet only target me. My responce was to identify his effort as an ad hom as the topic being discussed was about Elon musk's nural link system and how he proclaimed it works verse how bucky said it works.. So after me posting a video of musk in his own words refuting bucky, bucky attacks me and my intellegence by grading spelling and grammar leaving to topic.

So I simply point out his own logical fallacy

So again how is this ad hom attack?

Or do you mean to ask why am I getting aggressive and not allowing a member to say whatever he wants against me? aren't you supposed to stand there and take it despite how wrong the atheist member is shouldn't you just allow him to paint you in any light he wants?

is that the question? because clearly I did not ad hom go after buckie.

That was a long-winded way of stating I'm guilty
 No it means He is guilty and I took the time to make him eat some crow.. If you did not like that one this next one... Winking

(08-20-2019, 04:09 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Drich Wrote: Now I have a job as a refrigeration system designer that allows me to teach God most of the day..

Who knew.
God cares about fridges.

no fridges lot of people starve.

(08-20-2019, 04:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:40 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Isn't it interesting how we interpret texts differently and create new religions based on old forms of thinking?

like???

You're so smart when responding to everyone else, and all of a sudden you're clueless?

I simply do not see what you see.

What I am teaching is not new. it is how it was done originally. and I do not think you are of the mind that the dark ages church is a new form of christianity. So i do not see another old religious idea being fashioned into a new religion.

(08-20-2019, 04:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Stop telling Jews how to be Jews, Drippy.  You know fuckall about it.

I took a few years of formal jewish study in my time. I do not hold a doctorate or anything but I have spent a few years studying the 1st century culture and religion.

(08-20-2019, 05:07 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Drich Wrote: like???

You're so smart when responding to everyone else, and all of a sudden you're clueless?

I simply do not see what you see.

What I am teaching is not new. it is how it was done originally. and I do not think you are of the mind that the dark ages church is a new form of christianity. So i do not see another old religious idea being fashioned into a new religion.

You're not "teaching" anything.
You're an ignorant fool who does not know anything,
and has NO TRAINING in the matters he pretends to know about.
Test

(08-20-2019, 04:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:47 PM)Drich Wrote: Which is why God offers you the same thing he offered me.

My story is what it took for me. He has promised to give you what you need, if you seek him on his terms. I tell my story just to say yours is unique and waiting for you to ride it out. It takes but a mustard seed to take god up on his offer.

God offers to you that which you think has been offered by something otherworldly.
Nothing more.

Your perception of reality is that which you have created for your own benefit and nothing more. It's not reality when it conflicts with actual reality, which is something you fail to understand.
Tell yourself whatever you like, just know the opportunity still exists. Again not my first day or day n the job.. 20+ years of miraculous ground shaking things. to the point most of you can not believe all of the stuff that has happened to me has happened to one person. which Im am ok with, as I have the battle scars and proof to back it up.

I cant believe this insanity of a thread is actually happening, and i cant beleive i am actually watching this train wreck.

Drich is batshit crazy....for the upteenth time. I am glad i dont know any people like this irl, it would scare the shit outta me.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • SYZ

(08-20-2019, 05:09 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 04:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Stop telling Jews how to be Jews, Drippy.  You know fuckall about it.

I took a few years of formal jewish study in my time. I do not hold a doctorate or anything but I have spent a few years studying the 1st century culture and religion.

I'm sure you flunked out.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ

(08-20-2019, 05:15 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: I cant believe this insanity of a thread is actually happening, and i cant believe i am actually watching this train wreck.

Drich is batshit crazy....for the umpteenth time. I am glad i dont know any people like this irl, it would scare the shit outta me.

Shit mate... nor can I.   This person Drich has to be on some kind of mind-altering drugs.
No sane person could spew this amount of absurd bullshit in such a short period of time.
Or, conversely, if he's not  on drugs, them maybe he should be LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Deesse23

Hebrew culture was not a "religion" in the sense religions are thought of today as "a religion".
In the ancient world, it was different.
It was not something they "believed in or not".
Every single person who grew up in the culture simply was a part of it, because of where they lived, by virtue of birth.
Almost no one was literate. They were told what they accepted by the priests and possibly (some) of the prophets.
Test

(08-20-2019, 03:12 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 03:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Paulianity ... I like that better.
He did preach keeping the parts of the law that were convenient. He told women they had to shut up, "according to the law".

I'm not at all sure what we can believe about the First Century. At the end of the First Century, the Jewish High Priest required that the "Expulsion Curses" (the benedictions against the minim) be read in all the synagogues, expelling the members of the Way. At the end of the First Century, in Israel, the members of the Way sub-sect (Christians) were still Jews. I've never seen a good study of what was happening then. Then in the year 400, the Archbishop of Constantinople, (John Chrysostom), in his Christmas sermon, (they have a copy of it) told his congregation to stop going to the synagogue. Whatever was actually going on then, we don't know what it really was.

I'm sure you would like that especially since I proved it was built on fallacy misinformation and anti religious sentiments.

You did nothing of the sort.
Test

(08-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:31 PM)Free Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 01:09 PM)Drich Wrote: I knew more about buddha than jesus heaven or hell.. even thought moses was jesus/got them confused because of the crowds that follow them. I knew what I could pick up in korean if I sat by the door.. which I did not as they had a pretty sweet log fortress play ground for the kids.

The only thing I knew about hell was from dante's inferno, which was in some film or animated video we watched.. Hell, was nothing at all like that. It was not till years later and i began to study did I find out my experience was rooted in the bible.

Do you agree that the power of belief- and not just belief in religious things- can invoke powerful visions, and dreams etc? That it can strongly compel us to do things to ourselves and to others that may not be considered 'normal' from a secular/non-involved point of view?

... no. What I have witnessed is people wanting to be apart of the crowd and will shake and throw themselves on the floor as to be not the only one who does not "feel the spirit." i get people will read into a sometime random one off event and assign that to what they believe. And I believe the oppsite. that people will deny what they saw or explain it away because of what they believe. However I have never been a part of nor ever heard where believers were privy to something non believers sanding next to them did not also experience.

Again again At this point in my life i was in full on rebellion against God (grew up hard and my idea of God never helped me as far as I could understand) Then got old enough to see how hypocritical it is to preach love and demand the mixed kids sit outside.. then the dominoes started to fall and things kept getting worse till I let go the idea of God and stopped expecting anything. then it got better for a while till high school and the preachy kids struck a nerve. went all through high school terrorizing them the best i could.. a few year after high school is when all of this happened. and again what happened was contrary to my understanding of hell and fire. This was nothing like the idea of saint peter check a name ina book with a long line at a pearly gate.

this was me and a few others in a place wondering what was going on and then the guy next to you is judged and you figure it out, and everything is too late, as the next thing you know this little guy (under 6' as that is how tall I am) in looking you in the eye with a blue radiance about him and everything becomes clear...

again nothing I ever was told or read sounded like this. Had no idea Jesus was out judge till way later. had no idea what Jesus would look like outside of those white jesus paintings. Thought hell was a lake of fire.. turns out to be a pit or rather the entrance to hell is a pit. had no idea what gnashing of teeth where till mine where gnashed together (clinched so tight they feel like they are going to break while you are screaming through them as if you where being eaten by molten black nothing) I had no idea that I would feel like The right decision was made by putting me here.. Always thought Hell was forever, turnout I think once you repent even if there is some part of you that goes on into deeper torment the soul part of you your inner being is consumed by this hell fire meaning it is so intense the fabric of reality that holds your personality together is consumed by the intense panic and emotion and what was you is gone.

and again it took 10 years of study to back every bt of this up with contextual scripture. 

How does belief manifest what a book you haven't read contents into an experience before you read the book? The more i studied the strong my understanding of what happened laid a foundation I would build my belief system on...

Look at doubting thomas. He needed to put his hands in Jesus side and felt where the nails pierced his skin. what did Jesus do? did he scold thomas and reprimand him for his lack of faith? No He appeared and gave Thomas what he needed to establish not faith but genuine belief. Then he said blessed are those who have not seen and still believed... No where does he say damned are those who need to see and then believe. Rather He gives us the holy Spirit in order so we all may believe by experiencing God.

Not holy Spirit like shake you shmeckle out in church pass out on the floor and convulse. but in my case this judgement or again in my angel experience or the no stop unbelievable breaks and things that happen almost daily through my work.

for instance I do run my own company how we got started is an out of the blue miracle. in short a man I did business with in whom I had never met gave me 25K out of the blue as a loan to be paid back in side a year we did it in 6 months.

one or two things I get, but it's been 20 years of daily impossibilities.

Now I have a job as a refrigeration system designer that allows me to teach God most of the day..

Quote:How does belief manifest what a book you haven't read contents into an experience before you read the book? The more i studied the strong my understanding of what happened laid a foundation I would build my belief system on...

You stated earlier in a post that your father was a Baptist and that he "forbade" your mother from practicing "the devil's religion." This indicates to me that your father was a forceful religious man who was intollerant of any other belief systems, despite him not attending a church setting. Obviously he got indoctrinated in his younger years and it stuck with him.

The fact that he spoke of other belief systems as being "the devil's religion" also indicates that his Baptist indoctrination was severe, and knowing that he was forceful, he may have often imparted upon you in numerous instances the "fear of God" position, in which if you didn't do something, then something bad would happen to you, such as going to hell.

To the best of your memory, was there a lot of talk about hell in your home when you were growing up? Were there like any type of threats in which if you didn't do what your father said, you would go to hell?
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

(08-19-2019, 10:38 PM)grympy Wrote: MY favourite is when Jesus was asked  :

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Quote:Matthew 22:36-40 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

It's worth noting that Jesus is here not saying that these are the only commandments that a Christian is obligated to follow, and in that sense it is reminiscent of the maxim that the exception proves the rule, meaning, originally, that the assertion of an exception is tacit admission of the existence of a rule to which the asserted exception is an exception. It would seem that Jesus is not only pointing out the greatest of the commandments, but indirectly acknowledging that there are other Christian commandments beyond just these two. Here in this passage Jesus is asserting that there is a necessary relationship between these two commandments and any other commandments that a Christian might be obligated to follow. One might suggest, as perhaps Hillel did, that the rest of the law and the prophets are analytical truths whose meaning is already contained in the essential meaning of these two commandments. But I'm not sure that follows, as even if these two commandments are here asserted as necessary for any other commandments besides them, that doesn't mean that these commandments are both necessary and sufficient to elucidate all the obligations to which a Christian may be committed by any other existent commandments, only that any law that goes beyond these two principles requires these two as a minimum, to which, that law goes further. I'm not sure one can reasonably conclude from Jesus' statement here that these are the whole of the law for a Christian.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(08-20-2019, 01:43 PM)Drich Wrote:  Would elon musk be qualified?

If he can make the demonstration of such a thing, anybody would be qualified. It's not about authority, it's about the ability to make the demonstration and explane the phenomenon. Elon Musk, or the many transhumanist before him, have yet to make such a demonstration. As of now, they are dream peddlers and that's about it.

Quote:There is your matrix there is your ghost in the machine. there goes a disembodied consciousness.

Of course not, don't be ridiculous. You just described a consciousness in a different body no a consciousness without a body. Humans aren't the only thing with consciousness on this planet. There is a host of animals who possess their own consciousness and vastly different body. While we are still miles away from it, one day, there might be a machine with a consciousness and even more miles away a machine with a consciousness that is fairly similar to ours. But these are consciousness wholy dependant on hardware of some sort to exist.

Now does this match the definition of a ghost? on a certain level yes but it does not fit the myth or lore. But again still technically possible. that is what I mean by the next quoted statment.

Quote:Not that I believe in reincarnation but one can be readily observable in modern terms. the only thing need to be done is to take away the idea of mysticism. A easy one being the brain is not the host of consciousness it is nothing more than a signal transmitter and receiver. which can be demonstrated with extracranial sensors and hardware. (Someone controlling a prosthetic hand by wearing a cap with sensors in it, or the fact we can broad cast directly into the brain for those with severe ear trauma. The idea being we can transmit..

Now that is where we are now... Elon musk the inventor of paypal tesla electric cars and space x has just dropped 100 million dollars into this new company which is supposed to upload the human brain into a matrix type of network with our AI level super computers. He even says.. (ready for this) you can up load one's consciousness onto a supercomputer and then download it into a different body.

Quote:This is elon musk dumbing it down for slow people, he essentially says what I have said word for word.

Sounds like Elon Musk is trying to scam people out of money by promise of immortality. Sounds like church

Quote:He says all of this is plausible within his life time. he saying right now they have made huge progress in the whole matrix link with one of our AI mainframes. 

So again... what is proof to you?

If you are waiting for some of your friends to tell you it is ok to believe, then you might as well be a flat earth guy.

I want fucking replicable results that can be analysed, not marketing pitches by neophyte with no idea of what they are dealing with. Anybody can make promises that future tech is going to grant us immortality. Elon Musk thinks he can copy a specific human brain into a machine. It's theoretically possible, but it doesn't prove or demonstrate that humanity, right now, can survive after death. It, at best, means that a copy of a brain could theoretically be made (AKA that someone could clone your mind at a precise point and time) by using the correct hardware and software. There is no telling if it's actually possible. We don't know enough about the brain to know if we can replicate one absolutely perfectly.

Quote:But listen to the scenario being presented. If you die of old age, and you have essentially been up loaded you can send your life in the computers or you can choose to be downloaded into another host biological body.

That is a scientific plausibility, that matches (minus the mysticism) what reincarnation is all about. however this way you retain your memories.

Actually no, this is not scientific plausibility. It's science fiction as of now. To be plausible we would need a proper understanding of the process of copy and transfer which we don't have as of now. We haven't even been able to do it with much, much simpler consciousness like that of a lab mouse for example. It's something we can imagine thanks to the fact that our machine can download information and reproduce some of our senses. That's not scientific plausibleness.

Quote:So again if we can let go of our need for Words like God or in this case reincarnation to be tied to magic and unknown powers, we might find the proof or at least the plausibility of all of it well with in the realm of known science.

For instance what would science call God if he showed up for everyone to see and hear and they could not deny it? Just for the sake of not being wrong science would not use the term God.

God would be identified asa transdimensional being with super advanced technology that can manipulate the very physics of our universe and the fabric of space and time. They would take the magic out of God and i think rightfully so. as our understanding of God is limited to what the people in the iron age experienced. this relationship if we are to have one should grow. as should our understanding of who and what God is.

Congratulation, you have moved from fantasy fiction to science fiction. Soon, you might reach the science fantasy genre and one day, maybe, you will investigate that dull thing we call reality. It's not that bad.

Tongue
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Deesse23, Szuchow

Musk also wants to nuke Mars.  Proof, if any were needed beyond Trump, that even an asshole can get rich.

(08-20-2019, 12:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 10:38 PM)grympy Wrote: 2 cents

"If you are going to use the Bible to argue, you do not get to pick and choose which verses to use and which to ignore when the bible is very clear on the issues.  You are not going to persuade anybody of anything this ---"

Well, yes you do actually. Christians do it constantly and have been doing it for 1500 years..

MY favourite is when Jesus was asked  :

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

So there could be no misunderstanding due to stupidity, Jesus elaborated with the parable of the  Good Samaritan. The point of the parable is every man is my neighbour.

From a lifetime of observation, this commandment is  the  most consistently and universally ignored. If it were followed by even a significant number of Christians there would be no homeless kids, no homeless adults, and no world hunger.

There are heaps more.The verse used in antebellum US states  to justify slavery is a beaut.

----I won't even start  on Revelations, most beloved of the millennial   Christian churches  such as Jw's and Seventh Day Adventists.

Now I don't care you understand, I consider the New Testament to be the mythology of Christianity. It has little or nothing  to do with a tragic little rabbi in first  century Judea. As far as I'm concerned you might just as well be  using the Book Of Mormon, the Rig Veda or Lord of The Rings. ---perhaps an interesting intellectual exercise, but pointless in terms of reality.

"Ten thousand monks, ten thousand religions" (Buddhist saying)

My apologies if I'm missing  the point. IE is some person actually trying to use  Elon Musk and a computer analogy with the New Testament?  If so, WOW! Now that's inventive.!

@ Drich, I thought of using  Mathew  5: 17-18 ,but when I do that, Christians tend to lose their shit. --It challenges their entire Zeitgeist.

We did use Matthew 5: 17-18. He no likey. 

The Matthew 22: 36-40 thing is interesting. It's one of the things that makes me wonder who actually cooked up Christianity. 
The concern of the Jewish rabbis in the late First Century was what to do with Judaism after the temple was destroyed and the diaspora was underway. What they came up with was this "golden rule" themed stuff. They were trying to simplify the many rules and commandments Jews were supposed to live by, now that the temple was gone. It was not the concerns of Jewish thinkers in the early First Century. The themes of Jesus' preaching fit with late First Century concerns.

Interesting thing about the character of Matthew.  In the Greek text he is mentioned as wroking in a "toll collectors booth" τελωνιον .  He was not "tax collector" ( τελωνης ) as most Christians think.  Someone working in a toll booth did not require but the lowest level of education. It's much the same today.  There is no possible way a toll booth worker could write the gospel of Matthew since it was written in a highly polished Greek prose.   Whoever wrote "Matthew" was probably a weathy Disporiac Jew.    It's dated to around 80 AD so it's hearsay and anecdotal.  No one is going to remember what the hell someone said 50 years before much less 6 months ago.   It's preposterous.   

Ok, carry on.........
                                                         T4618

None of those people were real.

He could have been a Pole Dancer in a Gay Bar for all the difference it makes.

(08-20-2019, 06:00 PM)Dānu Wrote:

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

It's worth noting that Jesus is here not saying that these are the only commandments that a Christian is obligated to follow, and in that sense it is reminiscent of the maxim that the exception proves the rule, meaning, originally, that the assertion of an exception is tacit admission of the existence of a rule to which the asserted exception is an exception.  It would seem that Jesus is not only pointing out the greatest of the commandments, but indirectly acknowledging that there are other Christian commandments beyond just these two.  Here in this passage Jesus is asserting that there is a necessary relationship between these two commandments and any other commandments that a Christian might be obligated to follow.  One might suggest, as perhaps Hillel did, that the rest of the law and the prophets are analytical truths whose meaning is already contained in the essential meaning of these two commandments.  But I'm not sure that follows, as even if these two commandments are here asserted as necessary for any other commandments besides them, that doesn't mean that these commandments are both necessary and sufficient to elucidate all the obligations to which a Christian may be committed by any other existent commandments, only that any law that goes beyond these two principles requires these two as a minimum, to which, that law goes further.  I'm not sure one can reasonably conclude from Jesus' statement here that these are the whole of the law for a Christian.

"It's worth noting that Jesus is here not saying that these are the only commandments that a Christian is obligated to follow,"

Umm, I did't  say that was the case, nor did I imply it. . I made to observation that  JEWS (there were no "Christians"at that time)  were obliged to follow the first and second commandments  above all others, but he diid not infer other commandments need not be followed. I also made the observation that Christians universally consistently ignore the commandment to love thy neighbour. This is q lifetime observation of over 50 years.

Christian apologist tend overlook that Jesus founded a JEWISH sect, that the devout Jew was  (and is )  obliged to follow ALL of Mosaic law*. That law  consists   of hundreds of commandments  , not just the ten commandments . These  Mitzvah  cover every aspect of Jewish life. Orthodox jews today recognise  613 mitzvah, collectively called  'the mitzvot.

Well after the death of Jesus, Paul abolished the ritual commandments ,especially circumcision as .This allowed gentiles to join the sect That alone allowed the massive growth of Christianity. 

From that time, the small  sect of Jesus ceased to be Jewish ,and  became a new religion, later called "Christianity'". No Paul, no Christianity. It is my position that it was Paul who invented what  became Christianity , not Jesus.  (if indeed Jesus ever existed; there remains no consensus among scholars )

I prefer not to become enmeshed with Christian apologists. There is really no common ground. I become frustrated with the sophistry employed to  change  the meaning  of otherwise embarrassing pieces of scripture. Because then I say unkind things. Consequently, I have nothing further to say to you on this matter

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

*these laws are all found in The Torah, or Pentateuch, the  first five books  of the old testament, which are called "The Five books Of Moses"  viz; Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and  Deuteronomy.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie

(08-20-2019, 10:50 PM)grympy Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 06:00 PM)Dānu Wrote:

It's worth noting that Jesus is here not saying that these are the only commandments that a Christian is obligated to follow, and in that sense it is reminiscent of the maxim that the exception proves the rule, meaning, originally, that the assertion of an exception is tacit admission of the existence of a rule to which the asserted exception is an exception.  It would seem that Jesus is not only pointing out the greatest of the commandments, but indirectly acknowledging that there are other Christian commandments beyond just these two.  Here in this passage Jesus is asserting that there is a necessary relationship between these two commandments and any other commandments that a Christian might be obligated to follow.  One might suggest, as perhaps Hillel did, that the rest of the law and the prophets are analytical truths whose meaning is already contained in the essential meaning of these two commandments.  But I'm not sure that follows, as even if these two commandments are here asserted as necessary for any other commandments besides them, that doesn't mean that these commandments are both necessary and sufficient to elucidate all the obligations to which a Christian may be committed by any other existent commandments, only that any law that goes beyond these two principles requires these two as a minimum, to which, that law goes further.  I'm not sure one can reasonably conclude from Jesus' statement here that these are the whole of the law for a Christian.

"It's worth noting that Jesus is here not saying that these are the only commandments that a Christian is obligated to follow,"

Umm, I did't  say that was the case, nor did I imply it. . I made to observation that  JEWS ( Jesus'  sect was completely Jewish at that time))  were obliged to follow the first and second commandments  above all others., BUT Jesus  did not say , or infer  other commandments need not be followed. I also made the observation that Christians universally and  consistently ignore the commandment to love thy neighbour. This is  lifetime observation of over 50 years.

Christian apologists tend overlook the simple fact that Jesus founded a JEWISH sect, that the devout Jew was  (and is )  obliged to follow ALL of Mosaic law*. That law  consists   of hundreds of commandments  , not just the ten commandments . These  Mitzvah  cover every aspect of Jewish life. Orthodox jews today recognise  613 mitzvah, collectively called  'the mitzvot.

Well after the death of Jesus, Paul abolished the ritual commandments ,especially circumcision .This allowed gentiles to join the sect .That alone allowed  the massive growth of the sect.

From that time, Jesus' small  sect  ceased to be Jewish and  became a new religion, later called "Christianity'". No Paul, no Christianity. It is my position that it was Paul who invented what  became Christianity , not Jesus.  (if indeed Jesus ever existed; there remains no consensus among scholars )

I prefer not to become enmeshed with Christian apologists. There is really no common ground. I become frustrated with the sophistry employed to  change  the meaning  of otherwise embarrassing pieces of scripture. Because then I say unkind things. Consequently, I have nothing further to say to you on this matter

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

*these laws are all found in The Torah, or Pentateuch, the  first five books  of the old testament, which are called "The Five books Of Moses"  viz; Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and  Deuteronomy.

(08-20-2019, 04:59 PM)Drich Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 03:24 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: When you spend money on stupidity, you get exactly that.

like electric cars 10 generation above and beyond anything anyone (like ford Gm honda) else is doing. inventing batteries and power supplies 15 years in the future. creating idk PAYPAL, a fast and easy way to do internet transactions or just send and receive money now. Or what about reusable rockets? what about the math algorithms and software that had to be created just to land a rocket up right?

A man like that, in your assessment can not identify or create or co create a system creates a link between man and a supercomputer equal to the brain's ability to absorb and process information?

IE do you think in 100 years if we don't all blow each other up our grandkids will still be poking at keys on a key board do you?

Quote:(Reuters) - Walmart Inc (WMT.N) sued Tesla Inc (TSLA.O), saying solar panels supplied by the electric car maker were responsible for fires at about seven of its stores, according to a lawsuit filed in a New York court on Tuesday.

The fires destroyed significant amounts of store merchandise and required substantial repairs, totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket losses, Walmart said in the lawsuit.

As of November 2018, no fewer than seven Walmart stores, including in Denton, Maryland and Beavercreek, Ohio, had experienced fires due to Tesla’s solar systems, according to the lawsuit.

“This is a breach of contract action arising from years of gross negligence and failure to live up to industry standards by Tesla with respect to solar panels that Tesla designed, installed, and promised to operate and maintain safely on the roofs of hundreds of Walmart stores,” Walmart said in the court filing.

The world’s largest retailer started using solar panels made by SolarCity in 2010 and the roofs of around 240 of its stores were fitted with solar panels made by the company.

Tesla paid $2.6 billion in 2016 to buy SolarCity, a sales and installation company founded by two cousins of Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk.

Tesla is also facing a federal field investigation by the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board after several Model X and Model S owners across the globe said their cars burst into flames, a major disruptor for the company as it tries to ramp up deliveries of its cars.

Who wouldn't want a car that spontaneously bursts into flames?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(08-20-2019, 10:50 PM)grympy Wrote: I prefer not to become enmeshed with Christian apologists. There is really no common ground. I become frustrated with the sophistry employed to  change  the meaning  of otherwise embarrassing pieces of scripture. Because then I say unkind things. Consequently, I have nothing further to say to you on this matter

I think you are somewhat confused.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Drich

(08-20-2019, 10:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: None of those people were real.

He could have been a Pole Dancer in a Gay Bar for all the difference it makes.

If you're replying to me, yes, I realize Matthew in the gospel  is not real and probably  based on a murky character.   Who knows.  But it's interesting that Christians happily claim that "matthew" was an tax collector and as such he was educated enough to write in the aristocratic style of Greek prose that the gospel of matthew is written in. Mmmmm...not so fast. 

This is an interesting blog. 

https://celsus.blog/2014/04/15/matthew-t...st-gospel/
                                                         T4618