Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you given into peer pressure?

I feel like I'm being pressured into giving an answer I don't want to give. I'll get back to you.

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Mathilda, GenesisNemesis

(08-14-2019, 10:00 AM)Dānu Wrote: I feel like I'm being pressured into giving an answer I don't want to give. I'll get back to you.

Just to save you the stress and trouble the correct answer is "A large carrot twice a week and never on Mondays because Mondays suck."
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I may have given in to peer pressure when I was in grade school, but not later. I was one of the few kids in high school who never belonged to any of the cliques. I was the only one who refused to buy the yearbook and, in my whole life afterward, I've never attended a high school reunion.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Unsapien

(08-14-2019, 01:30 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I was one of the few kids in high school who never belonged to any of the cliques.

Ace.

Ironically, the only cool people are the people who don't care about coolness ... if cool is even a thing at all, that is. Seems like a load of subjective bollocks to me. Like fashion.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Smercury44, GenesisNemesis

(08-13-2019, 09:06 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Yeah, I get it, I'm the only stupid one here. Okay. Tongue

You actually believed those that said no? 

Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis

(08-17-2019, 09:05 AM)Red Belt Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 09:06 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Yeah, I get it, I'm the only stupid one here. Okay. Tongue

You actually believed those that said no? 

Big Grin

I suspect some people are overconfident in thinking they are less flawed than anyone else.  Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Red Belt, jerry mcmasters

I take the 5th.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

In grade school (grade 4 or 5) I was part of a group of boys that was always teasing a bunch of girls about their cabbage patch dolls (when that was the new craze), right up until one of the boys took a magnifying glass and melted one of the girl's doll heads. That made me say wow we've taken this way too far and I stopped cold.

I also joined in in tossing some kid's pencil case around him in a circle, that ending with someone throwing it out of the classroom window. 

I was also on the teased end a few times.

Later on I was kind of that guy that if something was trending, I would actively avoid being interested in it.

I tried cigarettes & alcohol because I wanted to not because my friends were also doing it.

As a young adult at a job in a call center where everybody, including the boss were always high, they kept trying to push me to try it, I left the job as soon as I could find another one because if it.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

The only times I can remember giving into peer pressure have been in this forum.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Oh, i forgot to answer.

Yes, of course i have. Mainly childhood years. Whether it was to tease another kid, go to a school dance, or play a sport i don't particularly care for.
The following 2 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, jerry mcmasters

Sure. Sometimes. Other times, not. I'm not a compulsive rebel but occasionally I muster the fucks to say no thanks.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

When I was on a jury.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Never ever. Not at all.
I was told if I did they would think I was a wimp.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-17-2019, 09:21 PM)julep Wrote: When I was on a jury.

Now that I think about it, the accused is probably subjected to a lot of peer pressure.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis