Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: What do you think of Jordan Peterson?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
He's a turd.
9.09%
1 9.09%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
9.09%
1 9.09%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's a turd.
0%
0 0%
He's definitely a turd.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Anti-Jordan Peterson Thread

(08-15-2019, 04:53 AM)epronovost Wrote: That's a fairly tough challenge, but I would say some of his critique of postmodernism are fairly good or at least correct.

The biggest problem I have with that is that he comes across as very postmodern himself, lol. So let's add hypocrite to the list. We must stay on topic, this thread is for negative shit about that fucker only Big Grin
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie

(08-15-2019, 06:33 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 04:34 AM)Kimdal Wrote: I think he has a point, a very good point, in many of his politically incorrect statements.

You're in the wrong thread, mate. This is the Anti Jordan Peterson thread. If you want to speak well, rather than ill, of that tosser then go make a Pro-Jordan Peterson thread instead of clogging up this thread about what a twat he is with stuff that's positive about him Tongue

I contributed to the topic by telling that I disagree about (and don't like) his views about God. What more can you ask for?  Big Grin

(08-15-2019, 06:44 AM)Kimdal Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 06:33 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 04:34 AM)Kimdal Wrote: I think he has a point, a very good point, in many of his politically incorrect statements.

You're in the wrong thread, mate. This is the Anti Jordan Peterson thread. If you want to speak well, rather than ill, of that tosser then go make a Pro-Jordan Peterson thread instead of clogging up this thread about what a twat he is with stuff that's positive about him Tongue

I contributed to the topic by telling that I disagree about (and don't like) his views about God. What more can you ask for?  Big Grin

Just remove the positive stuff! Anti stuff only!

Look man, I'm only kidding Big Grin (kidding about the harshness) But please focus on the negatives, lmao. This is NOT the Jordan Peterson appreciation thread. Hehe.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

• Kimdal

(08-15-2019, 06:50 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Look man, I'm only kidding Big Grin (kidding about the harshness) But please focus on the negatives, lmao. This is NOT the Jordan Peterson appreciation thread. Hehe.

I know Tongue . Who could take your kidding seriously? I'm not that stupid  Big Grin I tried to contribute to the fun, too! To help you understand me, my wife tells me every now and then: "please save me from your jokes"  Consider

(08-15-2019, 06:35 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: The biggest problem I have with that is that he comes across as very postmodern himself, lol.

To be very precise, Peterson is more akin to a pre-modern or neo-romantic than a postmodern thinker. If postmodernism is defined by an ultra-critical analysis of all things that has the risk of throwing any position to a form of relativism or into the "unknowable" category, a neo-romantic embraces dogmatic and non-critical thinking. He is a big fan of Carl Jung who is basically an even more pseudoscientific version of Freud. He just disguise his dogmatism by dressing it in jargon to sound smarter and authoritative, much like all failed postmodernists (or thinker by that matter).

(08-15-2019, 06:57 AM)Kimdal Wrote: To help you understand me, my wife tells me every now and then: "please save me from your jokes"  Consider

Here's a joke: Why did Margeret Thatcher always wear barbed wire underwear?

She didn't. It's a joke!

• Smercury44

(08-15-2019, 07:17 AM)epronovost Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 06:35 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: The biggest problem I have with that is that he comes across as very postmodern himself, lol.

To be very precise, Peterson is more akin to a pre-modern or neo-romantic than a postmodern thinker. If postmodernism is defined by an ultra-critical analysis of all things that has the risk of throwing any position to a form of relativism or into the "unknowable" category, a neo-romantic embraces dogmatic and non-critical thinking. He is a big fan of Carl Jung who is basically an even more pseudoscientific version of Freud. He just disguise his dogmatism by dressing it in jargon to sound smarter and authoritative, much like all failed postmodernists (or thinker by that matter).

It's Peterson's understanding of 'truth' and defense of religion that I think of as postmodernist.

(08-15-2019, 07:17 AM)epronovost Wrote: He just disguises his dogmatism by dressing it in jargon to sound smarter and more authoritative, much like all failed postmodernists.

This is what I was getting at.

The whole 'there are no facts; only interpretations' thing (which is a quote from Nietzsche).

He's a big fan of Nietzsche and Nietzsche was, in some ways, a proto-postmodernist.

(08-15-2019, 07:17 AM)epronovost Wrote:

He is just ignorant right winger idea of smart person.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44

He's the dumb person's smart person. A pseudo-intellectual.

• Deesse23

I have no idea how any rational atheist could have respect for this guy when he basically said atheists are incapable of having morality in his debate with Matt Dillahunty. It's crazy how people think he's some kind of intellectual when he really just believes basically what any typical Christian fundamentalist believes, and all he does is spew right wing talking points.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Deesse23, Szuchow, EvieTheAvocado

I resolved to watch this bloke ,of whom I'd never heard.

I got as far as '"The cornerstone of our society is Sam Harris-------"

I'm more familiar with him, yet remain underwhelmed ---

(08-15-2019, 04:34 AM)Kimdal Wrote: I think I have rather neutral attitude towards Peterson. Even though I disagree with him a lot, in many cases I admit he is right.

As a Christian I disagree with his views about God, but I think he has a point, a very good point, in many of his politically incorrect statements. I don’t say now what I like about him because I want to make a psychological test with you  Smile

It’s a widely known fact that people usually has bias when we discuss persons like Trump or Peterson. You either like or dislike. I’m from Europe, so can’t comment very much about US politicians, but I realize this bias in myself easily: There are local politicians I like, and others I dislike.

When I hear some of those I like saying something stupid, I tend to soften my reaction and give him/her excuses. But if someone I dislike says something good and vice, I tend to think ”Well, he learned it from someone else, not original thinking. Besides, he’s still a moron”. I’m sure you know what I mean.

So, my test for you: Can you find anything good that Peterson has said?

And I’m not seeking for funny answers and jokes, but something that makes anti-jordanists slightly angry or willing to oppose, or a little bit ashamed of themselves. So, can you find anything truly good in his opinions and statements?

Quote:in many cases I admit he is right

Um, how can you tell?  His word salad of utter nonsense is indecipherable.   He and Deepak Chopra fell into the same vat of incomprehensable babble.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • grympy, Deesse23, Szuchow, EvieTheAvocado, GenesisNemesis

(08-16-2019, 05:41 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
Quote:in many cases I admit he is right
Um, how can you tell?  His word salad of utter nonsense is indecipherable.   He and Deepak Chopra fell into the same vat of incomprehensable babble.

Well, for example, I was watching this Youtube video (link below) that I agree with him in most parts. The speech is politically incorrect and may anger many. It's also one-sided, but when looking only from that one side, I tend to agree with him.

This one's better:

Most sense he's ever made . . .

Rofl2

Lots of his shit debunked:

And now I'll stick the two I posted earlier on the thread, just so you can find them all in one place:

• GenesisNemesis

George Carlin was complaining about political correctness far before Peterson. What does Peterson have to add? Plus Carlin didn't need to resort to any incoherent babble.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Deesse23, EvieTheAvocado

What this Jordan thread needs is a soundtrack.  My nominee:

"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado