Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The latest in American Sharia law

Slogans on the classroom wall.
Facepalm
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/744909500...s-to-walls
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • brewerb

(07-29-2019, 08:27 PM)skyking Wrote: Slogans on the classroom wall.
Facepalm

Isn't that Eisenhower's doing? The slogan, I mean. I seem to have heard that before him, the US went to great pains of not making any official religious statement.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • mordant

The Joe McCarthy crowd pushed that.

(07-29-2019, 08:36 PM)abaris Wrote:
Facepalm

Isn't that Eisenhower's doing? The slogan, I mean. I seem to have heard that before him, the US went to great pains of not making any official religious statement.

Yeah that and the conflation of patriotism with piety, we have Eisenhower to thank for. Him, and McCarthy, who did a good job of inflating "godless" with "communism", in the early years of Eisenhower's first term, too.

The excuse that this will "inspire patriotism" when it's not a remotely patriotic statement, is a direct result of what those guys set in motion in the 1950s.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • abaris

(07-29-2019, 08:41 PM)mordant Wrote: Him, and McCarthy, who did a good job of inflating "godless" with "communism", in the early years of Eisenhower's first term, too.

That piece of shit boozed himself to death at the young age of 49. In this case poetic justice. A fitting end to a bitter life, at the expense of innocent people.
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Fireball, mordant, Deesse23

(07-29-2019, 08:41 PM)mordant Wrote: The excuse that this will "inspire patriotism"...

Even if it did, patriotism is the virtue of the vicious. Reason should be thought in school, not tribalism.
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Dom, Szuchow

(07-29-2019, 08:50 PM)epronovost Wrote: Even if it did, patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

I think there's a distinction to be made between patriotism and nationalism. Nationalism is the perversion of patriotism. The feeling of being better than others because of the coincidence of birth. Patriotism is loving one's homeland without demeaning others. I love the country I grew up in, it's tradtions and it's diversity, but at the same time I despair when looking at the xenophobic nature of an ever growing proportion of the population.
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Alan V, Deesse23

As an "outsider" looking in from a nominally secular country—with all jokes aside—I find this actually quite scary.  It alarms
me that the second most powerful country in the world appears to be regressing further into a society governed by beliefs
in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena.

I can't even begin to understand how this has been allowed to happen; authorised by purportedly intelligent teachers of our
world's future movers and shakers, and condoned by a progressive (?) government.

If I were an American citizen (and/or an atheist or agnostic) I'd be outraged and appalled by this major breach of any
freedom from  religion legislation—such as applies in Australia.  This sort of repulsive religious signage would NEVER be
installed and/or tolerated in any public school in any state here.  There'd be riots in every school playground and parking lot!

Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • mordant, julep, Fireball, brunumb

(07-29-2019, 09:50 PM)SYZ Wrote: As an "outsider" looking in from a nominally secular country—with all jokes aside—I find this actually quite scary.  It alarms
me that the second most powerful country in the world appears to be regressing further into a society governed by beliefs
in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena.

I can't even begin to understand how this has been allowed to happen; authorised by purportedly intelligent teachers of our
world's future movers and shakers, and condoned by a progressive (?) government.

If I were an American citizen (and/or an atheist or agnostic) I'd be outraged and appalled by this major breach of any
freedom from  religion legislation—such as applies in Australia.  This sort of repulsive religious signage would NEVER be
installed and/or tolerated in any public school in any state here.  There'd be riots in every school playground and parking lot!

Angry

This kind of thing isn't universal, it is mostly confined to the Bible Belt and similar evangelical enclaves like the Dakotas and rural areas generally. In liberal, diverse areas this kind of thing would be protested as you suggest.

That is not to say it's a small minority, however; I'd call it a large majority, the same sort of 45% majority that can get something like Trump elected.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • SYZ

Quote:In liberal, diverse areas this kind of thing would be protested as you suggest.

In those areas it would never be enacted.  To do something like this you need a very high percentage of ignorant fuckheads.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

It is better way to mark one territory than pissing I guess but it is still something that shouldn't happen in civilized country.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Alan V

Facepalm

Didn't he Nazis have that on their uniforms? Thinking
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • skyking