Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallup - 40% Of Americans Believe In Creationism

(07-28-2019, 06:08 AM)Chas Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 05:06 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: 50 % of Americans can't answer the question "Around what celestial object does the Earth revolve ?"

50% of Americans don't understand the language of the question. It's a poorly formulated question.

How so?
And isn't your native tongue Joual? Consider

Ben tabarnak, j'me su faite prendre. S'tu ben grave?

Yes, but I'm at least mildly interested in science and astronomy was one of the first that cought my interest as a kid. People who have no interest in astronomy or science in general might not know what "celestial object" means in that context. They might imagine something like a satellite or a teacup due to the use of the term "object" mostly used for man made things. some might not even not know what revolves means. Many of my students, teenagers age 16, don't know what "causality" means or think the word consequences necessarily imply something bad for example.

(07-28-2019, 07:16 AM)epronovost Wrote: Yes, but I'm at least mildly interested in science and astronomy was one of the first that caught my interest as a kid. People who have no interest in astronomy or science in general might not know what "celestial object" means in that context....

I understood the phrasing of the question to form part of the question itself...

"Around what celestial object does the Earth revolve ?"

And presumably, at least 50% of the respondents were adult-aged? Which leaves 25%
of Americans who can't deconstruct a simple 8-word sentence.    Oh fucking dear LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

There is a silver lining here....

https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/40-...ure-cancer

Quote:40 Percent of Americans Believe Alternative Therapies Can Cure Cancer

These morons can stick peach pits up their asses and save the useful drugs for smarter people!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

40 Percent of Americans Believe Alternative Therapies Can Cure Cancer

Until they get cancer.
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • SYZ

(07-26-2019, 09:20 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 08:33 PM)SYZ Wrote: But...  A spokesman from the university Campus Bible Study, the biggest religious group on the campus, said 
"we are thankful that God created us in his image, so that our lives have value and worth".

What does one have to do with the other?

They're covert narcissists who can only feel a sense of self-worth when their overt narcissist, that they're in a relationship with, (God), is being worshipped.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(07-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views.  

That is usually the case.

I was homeschooled and taught comparative religion by my parents. I didn't know that my mom was spiritual and my dad had previously been a Christian until I was 18. It's like they delberately sheltered their own religious views from me until I was an adult. Until I was 18 they just taught me that A people believe B, that X people believe Y and that some people, Z, don't believe in any of it.

My dad did try to get me, and my siblings, to be a part of his cult when I was 11. This one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emin_(esoteric_movement)

But, while he was getting us to follow the rituals, he made it clear that we never had to believe any of it. He cared more about the rituals than what any of us believed.

And I never did believe any of it. Up until that age I had been taught critical thinking ... so when I saw him clapping his hands and ringing bells in the corner of the room, to ward off evil spirits, I joined in but secretly found it hilarious.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • brunumb

(07-27-2019, 04:35 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 12:49 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views

I don't disagree but it should be pointed out that parents homeschool their children exclusively for non-religious reasons. My daughter home schools her son because he is on the autism spectrum and the local school districts in her NC town did not have funding or even interest in providing the extra support he needed to succeed in school.

Even in that Bible Belt state, she's connected with other unbelieving parents who home school their children. According to law the children must be tested annually to monitor appropriate progress and most of them test ahead of their grade level (whether that's a commentary on the quality of their education or the quality of the testing may be open to question, given that most home schooling parents ARE religious). They form teaching co-ops where parents with special expertise can offer tutoring. For example my grandson participated in a national robotics competition led by a home schooling parent with expertise in that field.

So home schooling in and of itself does not equate to a poor education or Luddite knuckle dragging.

Yes, kids are homeschooled for various reasons but most of the homeschooled kids are the parents attempt to keep their children away from all those horrible sciency things public schools teach, like evolution.  There are two families just in our neighborhood who home school their kids for religious reasons.  Between these two families there are at least 9 kids.  They aren't learing about evolution because.... goddidit.  These are large families by today's standards so it's a lot of kids being taught a lot of crap.  These families breed like rabbits.

[Image: 5bb80163220000ba01dd36fb.jpeg?ops=scalef..._noupscale]

[Image: vagina-its-not-a-clown-car-jokespalace-com-13873936.png]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • brunumb, Dancefortwo

Quote:These are large families by today's standards so it's a lot of kids being taught a lot of crap.  These families breed like rabbits.

Which just so happens to be the premise of the movie "Idiocracy."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”