Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallup - 40% Of Americans Believe In Creationism

https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/amer...onism.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Forty percent of U.S. adults ascribe to a strictly creationist view of human origins, believing that God created them in their present form within roughly the past 10,000 years. However, more Americans continue to think that humans evolved over millions of years -- either with God's guidance (33%) or, increasingly, without God's involvement at all (22%).

-------

So we still have quite a ways to go in America.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Very sobering.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???

Hey, 40% think The Orange Shitgibbon is not a Russian stooge.  One thing about the American public is that their stupidity will always shine through.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

In 1986, 60% of students at the University of New South Wales in Australia believed  God in some way
influenced human origins. By last year, that had fallen to 28.8%.

Creationists, who thought God created humans in their present form, fell from 10.4% to fewer than 5%.

But...  A spokesman from the university Campus Bible Study, the biggest religious group on the campus, said
"we are thankful that God created us in his image, so that our lives have value and worth".

Sydney Morning Herald, August 2018.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Aroura, brunumb, Alan V, Deesse23, EvieTheAvocado

(07-26-2019, 08:33 PM)SYZ Wrote: But...  A spokesman from the university Campus Bible Study, the biggest religious group on the campus, said 
"we are thankful that God created us in his image, so that our lives have value and worth".

What does one have to do with the other?
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • tomilay, epronovost, SYZ, EvieTheAvocado

Critical thinking isn't taught in schools.  Lack of funding for the  sciences  doesn't help.  The religious right fights hammer and tong over evolution being taught in schools, also home schooling is a big problem.  Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views.  America has a long-time contempt for highly educated people.   Let's face it, we're a nation of really, really stupid people and it's getting worse.  Look at the incoherent, 4th grade thing that's walking around the White House.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Inkubus, Minimalist, Gwaithmir, Fireball, GenesisNemesis

[Image: 36m3m9.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(07-27-2019, 12:45 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: 36m3m9.jpg]

I've seem some Father Sarducci videos. 
I really wish he would come back 
He is so funny ... the best.
Test

(07-26-2019, 09:20 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 08:33 PM)SYZ Wrote: But...  A spokesman from the university Campus Bible Study, the biggest religious group on the campus, said 

What does one have to do with the other?

I suppose it means we are too sexy to kill? Except you of course, everybody knows you are far too ugly to have any sort of worth.

/joke

no atheist has sucked my dick

(07-26-2019, 07:11 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/amer...onism.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Forty percent of U.S. adults ascribe to a strictly creationist view of human origins, believing that God created them in their present form within roughly the past 10,000 years. However, more Americans continue to think that humans evolved over millions of years -- either with God's guidance (33%) or, increasingly, without God's involvement at all (22%).

-------

Or they chose the "safe" response. Seen a lot of that. "Do you believe in God or do you want to be ostracized by your family and friends?"
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Dānu, Unsapien, tomilay

50 % of Americans can't answer the question "Around what celestial object does the Earth revolve ?"
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

40%? What the fuck? Seems that education system in USA is seriously flawed.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Alan V

(07-27-2019, 12:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote: 40%? What the fuck? Seems that education system in USA is seriously flawed.

"Intimidated" would be a better word.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(07-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views

I don't disagree but it should be pointed out that parents homeschool their children exclusively for non-religious reasons. My daughter home schools her son because he is on the autism spectrum and the local school districts in her NC town did not have funding or even interest in providing the extra support he needed to succeed in school.

Even in that Bible Belt state, she's connected with other unbelieving parents who home school their children. According to law the children must be tested annually to monitor appropriate progress and most of them test ahead of their grade level (whether that's a commentary on the quality of their education or the quality of the testing may be open to question, given that most home schooling parents ARE religious). They form teaching co-ops where parents with special expertise can offer tutoring. For example my grandson participated in a national robotics competition led by a home schooling parent with expertise in that field.

So home schooling in and of itself does not equate to a poor education or Luddite knuckle dragging.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb, SYZ

(07-27-2019, 12:49 PM)mordant Wrote: My daughter home schools her son because he is on the autism spectrum and the local school districts in her NC town did not have funding or even interest in providing the extra support he needed to succeed in school...

I'd commend her most enthusiastically for doing that for your grandson.  It takes dedication, expertise
and a lot of time and patience.  That the local schools boards were/are not interested in a special needs
education sector is damning, and unfortunately, the same thing is happening here.

Thumbs Up
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • mordant

(07-27-2019, 12:49 PM)mordant Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views

I don't disagree but it should be pointed out that parents homeschool their children exclusively for non-religious reasons. My daughter home schools her son because he is on the autism spectrum and the local school districts in her NC town did not have funding or even interest in providing the extra support he needed to succeed in school.

Even in that Bible Belt state, she's connected with other unbelieving parents who home school their children. According to law the children must be tested annually to monitor appropriate progress and most of them test ahead of their grade level (whether that's a commentary on the quality of their education or the quality of the testing may be open to question, given that most home schooling parents ARE religious). They form teaching co-ops where parents with special expertise can offer tutoring. For example my grandson participated in a national robotics competition led by a home schooling parent with expertise in that field.

So home schooling in and of itself does not equate to a poor education or Luddite knuckle dragging.

Yes, kids are homeschooled for various reasons but most of the homeschooled kids are the parents attempt to keep their children away from all those horrible sciency things public schools teach, like evolution.  There are two families just in our neighborhood who home school their kids for religious reasons.  Between these two families there are at least 9 kids.  They aren't learing about evolution because.... goddidit.  These are large families by today's standards so it's a lot of kids being taught a lot of crap.  These families breed like rabbits.

[Image: 5bb80163220000ba01dd36fb.jpeg?ops=scalef..._noupscale]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking

(07-27-2019, 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: 50 % of Americans can't answer the question "Around what celestial object does the Earth revolve ?"

50% of Americans don't understand the language of the question. It's a poorly formulated question.

(07-26-2019, 07:11 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/amer...onism.aspx

-------

I'm betting 90% of those 40% are in the Bible Belt.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 3 users Like Free's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball, SYZ

40% feels high, because people forget/ignore black and hispanic americans. As demographics, they are religious as fuck, and inconveniently not republican when it's time to start calling religious people names.

(07-27-2019, 06:01 PM)jerryg Wrote: 40% feels high, because people forget/ignore black and hispanic americans.  As demographics, they are religious as fuck, and inconveniently not republican when it's time to start calling religious people names.

It's true that these minorities are much more religious then white Americans, but, at least in the case of hispanic Americans, they are most often Catholics and Catholicism doesn't support creationism, preferring theistic evolution instead.
The following 1 user Likes epronovost's post:
  • Fireball

(07-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Critical thinking isn't taught in schools.  Lack of funding for the  sciences  doesn't help.  The religious right fights hammer and tong over evolution being taught in schools, also home schooling is a big problem.  Homeschooled  kids are sheltered from anything that might shatter their parents religious views.  America has a long-time contempt for highly educated people.   Let's face it, we're a nation of really, really stupid people and it's getting worse.  Look at the incoherent, 4th grade thing that's walking around the White House.

"Waah you're not being fair to Trump waah"
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(07-28-2019, 02:32 AM)epronovost Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 06:01 PM)jerryg Wrote: 40% feels high, because people forget/ignore black and hispanic americans.  As demographics, they are religious as fuck, and inconveniently not republican when it's time to start calling religious people names.

It's true that these minorities are much more religious then white Americans, but, at least in the case of hispanic Americans, they are most often Catholics and Catholicism doesn't support creationism, preferring theistic evolution instead.

The non-creationism thing is recent history.  The softening of the rules to appeal to modern cultural norms. I want to say it was late JPII when they made the "Maybe God did evolution!" proclamation.

But I think plenty are still buying into the old stuff.  Article actually has the numbers.  37% of US Catholics.  And I'd guess it's not the Kennedy Catholics up in Boston.

(07-27-2019, 05:06 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: 50 % of Americans can't answer the question "Around what celestial object does the Earth revolve ?"

50% of Americans don't understand the language of the question. It's a poorly formulated question.

How so?
And isn't your native tongue Joual? Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

50% of Americans have IQs of 100 or lower.  Coincidence?
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Fireball